PDA

View Full Version : Sharing a Handgun Update

Autumnlovr
03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Thank you SAFR....

To: <safr@firearmsalliance.org>
Subject: Law allowing sharing of a handgun signed. Immediate affect!
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 04:47:18 -0500

Today, Governor Granholm signed into law H.B. 4642 sponsored by Rep. Rick Jones. The legislation, passed by the House 99-8 and the Senate 33-4 has immediate effect and becomes P.A. 75-06. This Bill will allow the owner of a pistol to loan their properly registered handgun to any person with a Concealed Pistol License. The borrower may then carry that pistol or use it in any legal manner. Previously, in order to comply with the letter of the law, one would have had to obtained a Permit to Purchase or completed an RI-60 form and then had the pistol registered (safety inspected) in their own name. The process would then have had to been repeated in reverse on the return of the pistol to it’s owner. P.A. 75-06 removes these tedious requirements.

Couples will now be able to share a single pistol when family economics do not allow for the purchase of more than one self defense handgun. A friend may now loan a hunting handgun to someone for a trip up north without them having to purchase one of their own. Another benefit is that it will now be legal for a wife to leave her pistol in a car with her CPL holding husband while she runs into the Post Office or for her husband to leave his in her care while he retrieves their daughter from preschool. Previously, the person left in the vehicle could have been charged with possessing an unregistered pistol.

SAFR has backed this Bill since it’s introduction in April of last year. Members of your Legislative Committee provided testimony in favor of the Bill in June of 2005 and have continued to push for it’s passage during their visits with members of the legislature. The overwhelming support in both House and Senate shows that our legislators are listening. Please let your Senator and Representative know that you appreciate their supporting this Bill.

In the next few days we hope to be able to report even more success in improving our rights to Keep and Bear Arms. Stay tuned.

SAFR Legislative Committee

comet66
03-28-2006, 06:46 AM
This is great news!!

Many thanks to all involved!!

glockgirl
03-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Is there any way I can get proof of this to send to my Dad? Also, some people believe it's for "immediate" family only. I mentioned it at my advanced CCW class and no one seemed to believe me....

Can anyone direct me to another website?

RobF
03-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Is there any way I can get proof of this to send to my Dad? Also, some people believe it's for "immediate" family only. I mentioned it at my advanced CCW class and no one seemed to believe me....

heres the site link into the Michigan Legislature:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(uuub3n45yilb4t450qvnxu55)/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2005-HB-4642

That should be good enough to show him.

goldwing2000
03-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Is there any way I can get proof of this to send to my Dad?

Don't you and your dad ever agree on ANYthing? ;)

appliancebrad
03-28-2006, 10:05 PM

The confusion may result because the Bill as originally written would have only allowed "spouses" to share a pistol. At the Committee hearing, the representative from the MSP said it would be easier to just let any CPL holder borrow/share one. We were very pleased to get more than we asked for.