Knimrod
03-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Shooting for Success
Sportsmen transform passion into business
March 23, 2006
By Elizabeth Shaw
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

(excerpted)

Clio - For years, Mike McKinsey dreamed of the day he'd retire from the Flint Police Department and use all his free time to start his own gun business.

Wingshooters opened its doors in downtown Clio on Sept. 10, 2001, selling firearms and accessories to hunters and sport shooters.

And McKinsey hasn't had a free moment since.

"At first, my wife, Linda, was afraid of the initial investment. Now she's concerned about the time," said McKinsey, chuckling. "I'm gone from the house 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. six to seven days a week. The only solution is to sell it and really retire."

Spending time with sons Jeffrey, 25, and Casey, 13, usually means they're helping Dad out at the store. Visiting with his grandkids and daughter Jennifer, 28, is even tougher.

"I don't hunt near as much as I used to, that's part of what bothers me. My youngest son is finally old enough to go hunting with me now, and I'd prefer to do that," he said. "I really enjoy this, but there have been times I really didn't know what I was getting into."

McKinsey recommends the show circuit as an effective way to spread the word.

"I do at least two a month all over the Lower Peninsula. On an average day in the store, we get maybe 20 people. At a show you get literally hundreds walking by," he said. "You sell enough that it pays for itself, and when you do the shows close by, it's a great way to find new local customers."

Would he do it all again?

Absolutely.

"I've met a lot of great people, made some new friendships," he said. "It's a lot of work, but it's been fun."

===

Link to article (http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1143125521219340.xml?fljournal?SPOD&coll=5&thispage=2)