PDA

View Full Version : Gun range suit may misfire

Knimrod
03-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Gun range suit may misfire
Residents fear case dismissal after Appeals Court bars Green Oak's sound expert witnesses.
March 26, 2006
Valerie Olander
The Detroit News

Some residents fear the Michigan Court of Appeals could dismiss a lawsuit against the state Department of Natural Resources that claims a gun range at Island Lake Recreation Area violated Green Oak Township's noise ordinance.

Neighbors as far as three miles away have complained about the gunfire since trap and skeet shooting opened at the range about three years ago.

A judge has forbidden sound experts to testify on the residents' behalf. Green Oak failed to identify them as witnesses in earlier proceedings. Without the experts, little evidence exists, residents said, even though 44th Circuit Judge Stanley Latreille said he would appoint an independent sound expert.

"I expect this lawsuit will end shortly because there is no possibility of a fair trial here," said Richard Wiegand, who lives about two miles from the range.

A court date has yet to be set for the appellate panel to hear the motion filed last month by Michigan Shooting Centers, which operates the gun range. Immediate consideration was requested. The township sued the private operator and the DNR in 44th Circuit Court in June 2004.

Rep. Chris Ward, R-Brighton, agreed Thursday that a defeat was likely after about 70 residents gathered at a town hall meeting in Brighton Township Hall with three other state lawmakers, including Rep. Howard Walker, R-Traverse City, chairman of the committee that funds the DNR.

Neighbors, many of whom have lived there before the $3.3 million gun range was built, said they just want the noise level below the township's 65-decibel ordinance.

"This baffling (system) and noise abatement the DNR said would happen, didn't," said Jan Ples, a former Green Oak supervisor. "They haven't lived up to any promises, any commitments they made. They promised us there would be three clay pigeon operations and now there's something like 25."

Neighbors of Island Lake Recreation Area's shooting range rehashed their frustrations with the noise and voiced concerns about lead levels in the ground from the ammunition. Many depend on groundwater wells.

For two hours the state lawmakers listened.

Residents used videotapes to demonstrate what it is like to live near the gun range. From Susan Anderson's backyard in Brighton Township, the chirping of birds was continually interrupted by volleys of gunfire.

"Listen. That's all you have to do. Would you like to buy my house and listen to this?" Anderson asked the lawmakers.

She counted 120 gunshots from the 10-minute tape filmed last summer during a rifle competition.

In another video recording, less frequent but clearly distinguishable cracks of rifle fire could be heard at Kensington golf course, located across Interstate 96 from the gun range. And, deeper inside the Metropark -- at the nature center -- slightly muffled but still jolting shots could be heard.

"I don't know what we can do. I don't know what the DNR can do, but as overseers of the DNR, we will check into it," Howard told the residents.

You can reach Valerie Olander at (517) 552-5503 or volander@detnews.com

Link to story (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060326/METRO04/603260372/1015)

John Henry
03-27-2006, 09:37 AM
I really want to be in the court room for that trial.

Gwhizzer
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
The chirpping of birds continually interupted by volleys of gunfire.???
Darn... I hate when that happens.
Gwhizzer

Dan
03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I expect this lawsuit will end shortly because there is no possibility of a fair trial here," said Richard Wiegand, who lives about two miles from the range.

Maybe you should have spend your extra $115 on a better lawyer instead of anti-hunting committees.

DHughes
03-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe you should have spend your extra $115 on a better lawyer instead of anti-hunting committees.
He is representing himself in this case. Some time back, his lawyer withdrew from the case because of non-payment.
Also, the judge did not forbid a sound expert from testifing. They didn't meet the disclosure timelines and he was trying to get the judge to allow the witness after the disclosure hearings. The judge told them that they had like 10 days to submit whatever the needed and that he would impose sanctions if they didn't meet the deadlines.
After that time period, township was sanctioned by the judge for dragging their feet and not disclosing evidence and filing paperwork in a timely manner. That experts testimony would have been allowed if they would have met their datelines.
Now, I'm not an attorney and I'm not good at the legal jumbo, but it came down to something like that.
Also, I think that the article that contained the info regarding the sanctions were posted on this site at that time.

goldwing2000
03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
"Listen. That's all you have to do. Would you like to buy my house and listen to this?" Anderson asked the lawmakers.

As a matter of fact... YES, I would! I'd sit around my house all day long with a smile on my face. I'd save electricity, too. I wouldn't have to turn on the TV for entertainment. :mrgreen: