PDA

View Full Version : Process to buy a rifle in MI?

mustangman95gt
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I've seen the process on here for handguns, but whats the process for a rifle from a retailer, as well as a private seller?

Ol` Joe
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
A dealer needs you to fill out the form and pass NICS. A person to person is a simple money for gun trade

mustangman95gt
08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
A dealer needs you to fill out the form and pass NICS. A person to person is a simple money for gun trade

how long does that take? my cousin out here in CO says his shop he goes to, plugs your info into a computer and a weekday can be 5-10 minutes and weekend 1-2 hours.

Mike in Michigan
08-02-2011, 07:09 AM
I run NICS checks using the phone every day of the week. Most take less than 5 minutes. A few, usually when the buyer decides not to give his Social Security number, require "further investigation" which usually adds another 5 minutes, often less. Those who use the store computer will often be running multiple persons so nobody gets approved until everyone is run through the system. Your mileage may vary depending on the policy of the store and the attitude of the salesperson.

mustangman95gt
08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
I run NICS checks using the phone every day of the week. Most take less than 5 minutes. A few, usually when the buyer decides not to give his Social Security number, require "further investigation" which usually adds another 5 minutes, often less. Those who use the store computer will often be running multiple persons so nobody gets approved until everyone is run through the system. Your mileage may vary depending on the policy of the store and the attitude of the salesperson.

I feel like I want to go to your shop!

joelansing
08-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Does a person with a CPL still need NICS ran on them? I'm thinking it just turns into paperwork only then. Does a FFL in Michigan still have to run a NICS if the purchaser is a CPL holder from another state? Does CPL reciprocity between states come into play? And I do know that a lot of big box store employees will just look at your CPL and run the NICS anyways because that's the only thing they know..:(
- Joe

slowstang93
08-07-2011, 11:20 AM

I agree and its rather quick but I have witnessed just as many people getting approved as I have delayed. I was told it averages out to 1 out of 3 people get delayed. then you just have to wait, most of the time the dealer can call back the next day or they will recieve a call and you can pick up your rifle. I was also told they can only "delay" you for 72 hours. so if the FFL doesnt get an answer within 72 hours you can go get your rifle

and like said early. person to person is cash and carry. no paper work involved. LONG GUNS ONLY

slowstang93
08-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Does a person with a CPL still need NICS ran on them? I'm thinking it just turns into paperwork only then. Does a FFL in Michigan still have to run a NICS if the purchaser is a CPL holder from another state? Does CPL reciprocity between states come into play? And I do know that a lot of big box store employees will just look at your CPL and run the NICS anyways because that's the only thing they know..:(
- Joe

ok ok. Now i am NO expert but I have a few friends that live in Illinios and have thier florida and utah CCW so they can carry when they travel in SOME states. From what I understand is that michigan will NOT honor another states CCW unless you are a resident of that state ( utah and florida you can get a CCW with out being a resident )

so if you live in another state and have a CCW, you still need to have the handgun transfered to a FFL in your state. the FFL in your state handles paper work like they normally would.

if you have a michigan license, and out of state CCW It looks like that CCW doesnt mean anything in michigan and you follow the same rules as the rest of us

http://handgunlaw.us/

as far as nics. There is a post here

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=136570&page=2&highlight=nics

eightbit
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Can a used long gun be shipped person to person?

JohnS624
10-08-2011, 08:46 AM
- Joe
They don't have to run a NICS check, but many still do. You'd be surprised at how many Denials you get on CPL holders. Out of state CCW holders still need a NICS check unless the ATF has issued a letter (like they have with MI) that their CCW covers it. Of course, that would only apply with long guns. Reciprocity has nothing to do with it. Big Box stores do it because it's corporate policy. How many work rules at your job do you think are stupid but you abide by them because you want to keep your job?

JohnS624
10-08-2011, 08:49 AM
I agree and its rather quick but I have witnessed just as many people getting approved as I have delayed. I was told it averages out to 1 out of 3 people get delayed. then you just have to wait, most of the time the dealer can call back the next day or they will recieve a call and you can pick up your rifle. I was also told they can only "delay" you for 72 hours. so if the FFL doesnt get an answer within 72 hours you can go get your rifle

and like said early. person to person is cash and carry. no paper work involved. LONG GUNS ONLY
I'd say that it runs about one Delay for every15-25 Proceeds. It's 3 business days, so depending on weekends, it can run more than 72 hours.
Resident Aliens almost always get Delays.

aresbykes
10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
online checks are the way to go. It is ultra fast and usually done in less than a minute. I do them daily and I would never want to go back to using a phone(though I understand why It is still used.)

DirtRoad
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Person to person ive never done anything but swap gun for money.

I can provide a bill of sale and always offer that to the buyer but no one has ever wanted me to bother.