PDA

View Full Version : Hide in pickup bed prohibited for coyote hunting on private land ?

westcliffe01
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Sorry if these are moronic newby questions, but here I go:

If I am hunting problem coyotes on private agricultural zoned land, it it illegal to set up a blind in the bed of a pickup ?

Does the "elevated shooting position" also apply to night hunting of coyotes on private (agricultural) land with permission of the owner, given that no hunting license is needed for this activity ?

Last question: I live in Jackson County and I know that many townships specifically prohibit the discharge of firearms. What is the best way to figure out whether firearm discharge is permitted or not ? I have the property plat numbers and I know which township office they are zoned under. The township office concerned does not appear to list their zoning ordinances online anymore and how would I know when they apply to agricultural property or not ? Do I take the township clerks word on it ?

donald150
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
My first thought was not the fact that you are elevated, I was thinking loaded rifle/shotgun in a vehicle :shocked:

I remember seeing topics on here about DNR telling people that it is illegal to even lean a loaded rifle against a truck. :twocents:

westcliffe01
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
After a long search through the FAQ:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-195317--,00.html

Q. Can I use my vehicle as a raised platform for deer hunting?
NO. A vehicle cannot be used as a raised platform for either archery or firearm deer hunting. Michigan law prohibits the taking of any game from, in or upon a vehicle. In addition, other hunting and firearms laws regulate the possession of loaded or uncased firearms, or uncased or unstrung bows, in or upon vehicles.

All references seem to relate to firearm deer season. I don't quite understand the uncased firearm "in a vehicle", since in order to remove the firearm from its case, the case has to be opened and the firearm removed. Does this mean that I have to remove the case from the truck, set it down outside, on the ground / in the snow, open it up, take the weapon out and then return the case to the vehicle ? Surely if one has dismounted the vehicle and the vehicle is no longer in motion and one is preparing to set out on the hunt, one is no longer illegally "transporting" the weapon if the vehicle is not in motion ? Since the charge would be for improperly transporting a weapon ?

The problem I can imagine is that I may need several blinds to cover the property under all conditions. The coyotes are conditioned to people driving vehicles down certain tracks as a normal part of farming operations. However, walking from your vehicle to a blind will not fit that pattern and may spook them. Dawn, dusk and night is really the time they are active, but the question is whether one can get into position without them knowing.

Does the loaded / unloaded rifle question even apply to transporting a firearm on your own private property outside of firearm deer season ?

westcliffe01
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Well, it appears I found this one too...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31579--,00.html

Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows

These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours.

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

* Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

At all times, when carried in or on an ORV:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism.

* Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung.

At all times, when carried in or on a motor-propelled boat or sailboat:

* Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail.

* Firearms may not be loaded until the forward momentum of the boat has ceased.

Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. See Statewide Handgun Regulations.

So if I have this straight, a farmer is not permitted to carry a rifle that is loaded while on his tractor on his own property. While riding a horse is OK, or while walking, but as soon as the mode of transport becomes an inanimate object then you are done ? And the only recourse if to carry a concealed pistol ?