PDA

View Full Version : First Handgun

MLew079
08-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey Everybody,

I am new to the website, and I just started to get into guns. I've been messing around with rifles and shotguns and now I've been interested in purchasing a handgun. I want something reliable and something I can get familiar with before I get my CPL when I turn 21 in the next couple months. I want something that I can take to the range pretty often too. I am also a student so something economical in price would be ideal. Please give me some ideas on some good handguns for what I'm looking for. Also, just wanted to add is the Kel-Tec PF9 or Kel-Tec P3AT good guns to take to the range and a good starting handgun?

Thanks Everyone!!!

Matt

Mongo
08-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Wow are you going to get a bunch of advice here. Let me be the first of the 100's of opinions you'll get.

Being you are a student with limited funds and this is your first handgun, I would recommend a 9mm if you are going to purchase a semi-auto pistol. The ammo is the most reasonably priced and easy to find. The cartridge offers mild recoil, a wide array of modern self defense loadings, fits into both compact and full size pistols and has only gotten better over time.

Now as for a first gun, I would highly recommend what many people consider to be the "one best single gun to own".....a Glock 19. This is a fantastic pistol that balances concealable size, magazine capacity, and you won't find a more reliable handgun. There are other great choices out there, but I am recommending the Glock 19 because of your situation. Ammo is about as cheap as any center fire round. This gun is comfortable to shoot in extended range sessions as you practice. Holsters, parts, and extra gear is everywhere for the Glock. I really don't think price is too much of an issue either. You should be able to pick up a NICE used Glock in the $350 to $425 range.

I hear mixed reviews on the Kel-Tec's. I don't own one, but the two I shot both had horrible triggers, and one was really fussy feeding ammo. That said, if you do go with the Kel-Tec, at least take my advice on the 9mm.

MLew079
08-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you Mongo
I do really appreciate all the help and advice I can get...I really do! This website is so helpful, I really hope I can be of great help in the future as I build up some knowledge on some of the topics. Really looking forward to all of the other replies to my thread!!!

Matt

Tyler
08-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I am a student as well, and am still not 21. I will be honest in saying that I went a little crazy with buying guns, and bought some that I didn't even really want just because I wanted to try them out. My advice to you is to save up and buy the gun you really want. Buy once, cry once. I will agree with the above post and say that a glock 19 would be great! It is my favorite gun out of all of the pistols that I have owned, and it is the only one I will not be getting rid of in the near future. That being said, some people don't like the "grip angle"... I LOVE it personally, but recommend you either try one out first, or at least handle one in a gun shop. Maybe look at m&p 9's if you don't like the feel.

jtivat
08-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Find a range where you can rent guns and try them out. 9mm is a good starting point but make sure the guns feels good in your hand. I thought I wanted a Kahr CW9 I rented it and shot 50 rounds through it. It hurt my trigger finger it was just not for me $10 to rent saved me from buying it.

JT

Big_Jim
08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Everybody,

I am new to the website, and I just started to get into guns. I've been messing around with rifles and shotguns and now I've been interested in purchasing a handgun. I want something reliable and something I can get familiar with before I get my CPL when I turn 21 in the next couple months. I want something that I can take to the range pretty often too. I am also a student so something economical in price would be ideal. Please give me some ideas on some good handguns for what I'm looking for. Also, just wanted to add is the Kel-Tec PF9 or Kel-Tec P3AT good guns to take to the range and a good starting handgun?

Thanks Everyone!!!

Matt

Welcome to the fold, The Keltecs you mentioned are decent guns but they are not what you are looking for at this time. A full size 9mm is a great choice. Something in a Glock, M&P, XD, Beretta, Sig, etc will suit your needs better. Stay away from little guns forr now, that will come later. Learn the basics and get some Practice in before you go for the mini's.

You might also like to take a NRA "First Steps" class. Its pretty basic but will give you an opportunity to learn some good stuff and ask some questions. (PM me for info) This will set you up to take the NRA "Personal Protection" class that you need for your CPL.

Another good pistol is the good old 38spl. A full size gun is easy to shoot, not too bad to buy or feed either.

Buy a quality gun, don't buy junk and it'll last you forever.

Wolvee
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I've had two PF9's and still have one. I love it but like others have said if it's your first pistol or if you think it may be your only/last pistol buy a Medium or a full size. Gain your skill and adjust from there. The sub compact poly's are very snappy, not as accurate as their full size counterparts (Not like they should be) and you'll enjoy shooting larger pistols much much more.

A medium sized would be something like a Glock 19 or Glock 26 with a Mag extension, an SR9c, compact XD 3.5 or similar XDm. There are lots of other choices as well, EAA (CS sucks but the guns are cheap and fun) I don't like the S&W M&P9c but it's an option and all of the M&P's are well proven now days. In fact I just put a M&P9L on hold at my local shop.

For full sizes, your options seem limitless but there are a few standards I like. Beretta 92fs, Glock 17, Sig P226, HK "any version" (but they hate you and are completely over priced.), CZ's are tanks but the triggers are gritty and don't get as much love as they deserve in the US.

I'm not a fan of Springfeild XD's because I like Stainless uppers and some of them in the black finish are made of some pot metal. Also, I think the more stuff you have in a gun the more prone it is to fail. for the ocational range gun, the XD's wouldn't be a terrible gun becase your not going to be pushing it's limits. Even expensive guns fail so price shouldn't a factor.

I know there are more but I can't think of any.

If you need to stay cheap, Ruger & Springfield are your best bet for striker fired. Obviously I pick the Rugers. If you need to stay real cheap the Kel-Tec P11 is a great little shooter and is about the same size as a Glock 26.

Remember there are a few basic size in guns.

Sub-compact: Shortest slides, grips & widths *KelTec PF9 *Ruger LCP (.380acp)
Compact: short slide & short grip with a standard width *Glock 26 *Ruger SR9c
Medium: Slightly shorter slide and slightly shorter grip but still gives a full purchase. *Glock 19
Full Size: usually a 4"+ barrel, longest slide and longest grip Glock 17, SR9, Beretta 92, M&P9,

There are lots of variations so this is true for most but not a rule. ^

ILoveMyGlock
08-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I've had two PF9's and still have one. I love it but like others have said if it's your first pistol or if you think it may be your only/last pistol buy a Medium or a full size. Gain your skill and adjust from there. The sub compact poly's are very snappy, not as accurate as their full size counterparts (Not like they should be) and you'll enjoy shooting larger pistols much much more.

A medium sized would be something like a Glock 19 or Glock 26 with a Mag extension, an SR9c, compact XD 3.5 or similar XDm. There are lots of other choices as well, EAA (CS sucks but the guns are cheap and fun) I don't like the S&W M&P9c but it's an option and all of the M&P's are well proven now days. In fact I just put a M&P9L on hold at my local shop.

For full sizes, your options seem limitless but there are a few standards I like. Beretta 92fs, Glock 17, Sig P226, HK "any version" (but they hate you and are completely over priced.), CZ's are tanks but the triggers are gritty and don't get as much love as they deserve in the US.

I'm not a fan of Springfeild XD's because I like Stainless uppers and some of them in the black finish are made of some pot metal. Also, I think the more stuff you have in a gun the more prone it is to fail. for the ocational range gun, the XD's wouldn't be a terrible gun becase your not going to be pushing it's limits. Even expensive guns fail so price shouldn't a factor.

I know there are more but I can't think of any.

If you need to stay cheap, Ruger & Springfield are your best bet for striker fired. Obviously I pick the Rugers. If you need to stay real cheap the Kel-Tec P11 is a great little shooter and is about the same size as a Glock 26.

Remember there are a few basic size in guns.

Sub-compact: Shortest slides, grips & widths *KelTec PF9 *Ruger LCP (.380acp)
Compact: short slide & short grip with a standard width *Glock 26 *Ruger SR9c
Medium: Slightly shorter slide and slightly shorter grip but still gives a full purchase. *Glock 19
Full Size: usually a 4"+ barrel, longest slide and longest grip Glock 17, SR9, Beretta 92, M&P9,

There are lots of variations so this is true for most but not a rule. ^

+1

joepistol
08-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe because you mentioned personal defense/CPL class, but my recommendation for a first pistol would be a Ruger MkII pistol in .22 LR..(or other .22 auto loader. I would suggest a .22 revolver but good ones (S&W or Dan Wesson) are expensive!
Pistols require much more practice to shoot well, compared to a rifle.
If you have no (or little) experience shooting handguns, you should consider a .22 before moving to a 9mm. For the cost of 1 box of 9mm (50 rounds),
you could purchase /shoot 150-250 rounds of .22 LR. A.22 still has a little recoil, to get used to, and the practice/ learning of proper hold (grip) sight alignment, breathing, trigger control, etc..all can be enhanced with using a .22

When you can group all your shots with a .22 to your satisfaction, then you can get a 9mm.. Ruger .22s are very popular, so their easy to find, modify,and retain their value if taken care of properly..that's my :twocents: Joepistol..:pistols:

TomE
08-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Glock considers the G19 a compact ,the G26 a sub-compact . I have a G19 after having CZ,Taurus,and KelTec. The CZ was heavy but never a problem .

Get the G19 first and save $$$$ in the long run.Or waste $2K buying junk first like I did ,ammo for testing can easily get to $500 in a couple months

The M & P's seem good ,but I have no first hand experience with them ,so I can't comment on them

Here's someone wanting to trade for a G19 ,I wonder why?

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.phpt=144055

and another example of someone wanting a G19 , sorry Brad

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142927

The above is a good deal on a good gun though,just using for an example

RoadRunner71
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
First handgun? Full-sized 9mm all the way.

CZ 75B
Glock 19
Ruger SR9
SA XD9
S&W M&P9

All are good starting places. I would lean more toward the CZ simply because they are inexpensive. Note I did NOT say cheap. For what they are, $500 gets you an awful lot. Real tack drivers. The trigger may need some work, but any half competent 'smith can take care of that.

The G19 would be a close second for all of the reasons already posted.

Good luck!

hendo
08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Like many on here I've bought/sold a number of pistols till I found the one I like best. I would be more inclined to recommend a Glock 23 (it is exactly the same size as a G19), with the additional purchase of a Lone Wolf or other 9mm conversion barrel. The .40 S&W is a good carry caliber (9mm is good but some will definitely poo poo that too, so to each his own) and with the conv. barrel you can shoot the cheaper 9mm a lot more often. You can get a barrel and 2 mags for around 140-150 and it's like having 2 guns. If you want a fun one for just plinking though, I would highly recommend a Ruger Mark III 22/45 style as mentioned by another poster. It is a fun gun to shoot and as stated above you can practice sight/target acquisition all day for very little money.

seabiscuit
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
My first one was (is) a Glock 26. Super reliable, inexpensive, easy to shoot. The short grip does take some getting used to, but you could add some OEM mag extensions to solve that problem, and take them off if/when you're ready.

Also be sure to budget at least $75 for a good holster and a mag carrier.

joelansing
08-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I've got a P3AT, and had a PF9. They are both fine small concealable weapons, but not good for "Range Shooting". They have poor sights and a fairly large recoil for their size. It is not easy for a new pistol owner to be accurate with one. A lot of the fun of shooting a pistol is actually hitting something..:) Since you seem to like smaller calibers and weapons that don't cost $$$$ I'd recommend a larger Bersa or Taurus. A Bersa Thunder 380 is nicer to shoot than a P3AT but still not great. Bersa Thunder 9 UC is a very nice weapon for under $400 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/178/products_id/52338
A Taurus 24/7 OSS 9MM http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/85/products_id/58619 would also be a very nice shooting weapon. 380 ammo is expensive compared to 9MM. If nothing else go to a nice range and rent 3-4 guns and see how you like them. Many ranges have a CPL class that gives you a big discount on renting guns for the class. Rent a few to see what you want to buy. If you want to drive up to Lansing I'll let you shoot a P3AT, PT99, Hi-Point C9, and a big 357 revolver. None of them cost a lot, but all shoot good. Don't buy a cool gun as your first one. Buy one that you will enjoy shooting.
- Joe

Yance
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the Pistol world, its a great...and expensive place:coffee: My first pistol was a Springfield XDm in .40, I loved it, it was a little pricey for my wallet but well worth it, after 1000 rounds at the range I had not a single problem with the firearm. I also OC'd it and it isnt too heavy as well. Just remember if you are going to buy something to carry, make sure you will trust your life with it. As with most things in life, you get what you paid for. There are a ton of options out there, ask what your friends or family have, ask the guys on these forums what they like. Then do your own research, go to the range and get hands on and shoot some things you might be considering so you can feel how they work. But most importantly get something you will trust and not be afraid of using. There are a lot of good guns in the $400-$700 dollar range out there. Good luck and let us know what you get!

ChriZ
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
The Glock 19.. as many others will agree, is the "perfect pistol". I carried one for quite a while and I will say, IMHO, it's a little big for concealed carry.
The Glock 26 feels awkward in the hand and I didn't find it much fun at the range.

I recently switched to an M&P compact and it feels much better. The 9mm holds 12rds and the .40 holds 10 rds. It's soft of a perfect medium between the G19 and G26.

When you finally pick something up, please post back here and let us know what you went with. Good luck!

kjm_rebuild
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
I bought my first pistol a few weeks ago (have always had shot guns and rifles). I bought the Ruger SR9c 9mm and I love it. It had lots of nice features, wasn't expensive and $450 out the door with 50 rounds. It shoots great, have put about 450 target rounds and 50 hollow points thru it with no problems. Size is just about right, not to small but not to big, unless you have the 17 round mag in vs the 10 round mag. 9mm ammo is very economical considering the calibers out there, so far it has broken down to .27 cents a shot vs my buddies .45 auto that he says costs him .50 cents per shot (his cost info not mine). Cheapest I have found to buy the ammo is walmart, even if I bought a 1000 case online I can still buy it cheaper at walmart priced per box (if you can ever get that many boxes in one visit).

eightbit
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I bought my first pistol a few weeks ago (have always had shot guns and rifles). I bought the Ruger SR9c 9mm and I love it. It had lots of nice features, wasn't expensive and $450 out the door with 50 rounds. It shoots great, have put about 450 target rounds and 50 hollow points thru it with no problems. Size is just about right, not to small but not to big, unless you have the 17 round mag in vs the 10 round mag. 9mm ammo is very economical considering the calibers out there, so far it has broken down to .27 cents a shot vs my buddies .45 auto that he says costs him .50 cents per shot (his cost info not mine). Cheapest I have found to buy the ammo is walmart, even if I bought a 1000 case online I can still buy it cheaper at walmart priced per box (if you can ever get that many boxes in one visit).
$20 for 100 is $.20 per shot. Walmart typically sells their federal FMJ for this. It's tough to find cheaper ammo, even reloads or bulk deals for much less than this.

kjm_rebuild
12-07-2011, 04:42 PM
$20 for 100 is $.20 per shot. Walmart typically sells their federal FMJ for this. It's tough to find cheaper ammo, even reloads or bulk deals for much less than this.

Yup, my walmart in Flint, MI is selling 9mm luger 115 FMJ winchester 100 rds for $22.97 + tax = $.24
or
the same federal 50 rds for $10.97 + tax = $.23

Whats hand loads? $.16 or so not including time, equipment or shipping. :scratch:

joelansing
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13591
- Joe :)

Revdrshad
12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with the Glock 19. In my opinion, there just isn't a better beginner gun.
Glock was designed with absolute simplicity in design, and complete easiest use in mind.
Generally, in summary concerning Glock, just look at anyone who carries a gun for a living, 19 out of 20 times, they are carrying a Glock. (Depending on region)
Other Guns are fine. Especially the well known brands, but they get more "Complicated" such as having more weight, more manually manipulated controls, and generally less "Beginner Friendly."
But, one of my favorite quotes is "The best and worst thing about Glock is they are easy to shoot." That means the absolute safety is paramount. If you have any doubt, spend twenty bucks on a Glock 19 Airsoft, load it up and practice safety before moving to the real thing.
I'm a bigger fan of .40 caliber over the 9mm. But even with that being said, my EVERYDAY carry gun is a Kel-Tec P11. (9mm) Kel-Tec makes decent guns, but you may run into more trouble than you need to deal with to start out with. And I'd hate to see you get frustrated with something you are not familiar enough with to fix.
Hope this helps. As always, remember FINGER off The TRIGGER. And Stay safe.

oldskoolford427
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Wow are you going to get a bunch of advice here. Let me be the first of the 100's of opinions you'll get.

Being you are a student with limited funds and this is your first handgun, I would recommend a 9mm if you are going to purchase a semi-auto pistol. The ammo is the most reasonably priced and easy to find. The cartridge offers mild recoil, a wide array of modern self defense loadings, fits into both compact and full size pistols and has only gotten better over time.

Now as for a first gun, I would highly recommend what many people consider to be the "one best single gun to own".....a Glock 19. This is a fantastic pistol that balances concealable size, magazine capacity, and you won't find a more reliable handgun. There are other great choices out there, but I am recommending the Glock 19 because of your situation. Ammo is about as cheap as any center fire round. This gun is comfortable to shoot in extended range sessions as you practice. Holsters, parts, and extra gear is everywhere for the Glock. I really don't think price is too much of an issue either. You should be able to pick up a NICE used Glock in the $350 to $425 range.

I hear mixed reviews on the Kel-Tec's. I don't own one, but the two I shot both had horrible triggers, and one was really fussy feeding ammo. That said, if you do go with the Kel-Tec, at least take my advice on the 9mm.

+ 1 on the G19 great gun!!!:yeahthat:

Hawkeye73
12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I would say the Glock 17 or the Glock 19. Both are great guns. Some posts say the 19 is a full size 9mm. It is not. The Glock 17 is the full size frame 9mm.

Dan_the_man
12-13-2011, 10:41 PM
You cannot go wrong with a Glock 19/26 or a S&W M&P9/9c. Both are extremely reliable, accurate, safe, and simple. In my opinion these are the minimum entry level carry handguns as far as quality, reliability, and price goes. Firearms hold true to the saying "You get what you pay for" and if you choose a less expensive model you will find the weapons can be hit or miss if you read the person experiences all around the internet. Some people have had nothing but the best from the sub $500 guns and others have had nothing but problems. This does not mean that the more expensive weapons are totally absent from problems either. However, the more you invest in your defensive handgun, the less likely you are to have problems and if it's your life your depending on you do not want to gamble.

That being said, Kel Tec's tend to be fine but for defense I would not settle for anything that had a track record of anything short of Glock's, M&P's, Sig's, or HK's reliability.

If you just cannot afford the Glock or M&P, save longer until you can. "The recollection of quality remains long after the price is forgotten."

Dan

jafacanyan
12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
My first was a sig p226 and i love it.

eightbit
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
If you just cannot afford the Glock or M&P, save longer until you can. "The recollection of quality remains long after the price is forgotten."

So it's better to be defenseless and unarmed than it is to carry [insert worst gun brand here]? :facepalm:

The best gun is the one you have with you when you need it.

If you don't have a gun, get one. Get good with it. Get your CPL and carry it everywhere you legally can. I don't care what caliber it is. Even a .22 is better than nothing. You can get a new 9mm hipoint for $100. Most of these gun snobs don't even have experience with the brands they are holding above all others or the brands that they say are worse than being unarmed.

CoolStoryBro
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello -

I too, am a first time handgun buyer. However, I have been researching, reading, and shooting/using pistols for over a year now, and after I took my "First Steps" class, I got the well needed Confidence to feel comfortable with a pistol in my hand.

I'm Left-Handed, Right-Eye dominant...which sucks, however, the good news is that I am very ambidextrous--I can shoot the same groupings left or right handed, but I FEEL more comfortable and confident with shooting left.

With that said, I've been leaning towards the CZ-85B for about 6-months. I also looked at 85B Combat, but it doesn't have a Drop safety. I love the 85B. I've felt the 75, and being that the only real difference is the ambidextrous safety/releases, it's a perfect fit for me I believe. But, I cannot find one...ANYWHERE. Silver Bullet has some CZ-75's, and an CZ-82/83, but no 85B's....so I've been looking online.

I've trolled the forums on here for a while, but I figured since no one sells/posts their CZ's for sale, there's no point in asking...but now, I'm very serious about buying...like, buying it today or tomorrow. So I'm hoping someone has some other ideas on how to get a CZ-85B for a good price--used or new.

Also, I looked at the Norinco (which you all know about) version, the NZ-85, and it looks NOTHING like the CZ-85B. Complete Chinese garbage.

Buds Gunbroker seems to be the best online price I've found so far.

But, that's why I'm here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-CSB

smac61
12-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Also, just wanted to add is the Kel-Tec PF9 or Kel-Tec P3AT good guns to take to the range and a good starting handgun?

Decent guns for the money however I personally found the PF9 a rather horrible range gun. That said, you may love it.

I think you'd be happier spending $100-$150 more now on a Glock or M&P as it will be a lot harder to save up another $500 later. Not because of the name on the slide, but because they're better guns, particularly for your circumstances.

shortskimper
12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
i would suggest buying a simth and wesson sigma(9mm or .40). same damn gun as a glock for super cheap. just don't buy the 1st gen ones. they had some issues. i have a second gen that has eaten over 10k rounds without a SINGLE hiccup. not to mention the ergo's are much better than any glock on the planet. take that you silly overpriced glock owners! you can find them for about 275 bucks. you will have to work on the trigger though. i worked on mine for about a half hour. shoots like butter. although my in-laws stole it and refuse to give it back.....

sidenote: i did own a hi-point. other than the fact that sucker weighed more than my full size 1911.... it was a blast to shoot at the range. and ate everything i fed it. i also OWN a p3at. NOT a fun range gun. but it serves a purpose.

smac61
12-16-2011, 05:13 PM
i would suggest buying a simth and wesson sigma(9mm or .40). same damn gun as a glock for super cheap.

GREAT suggestion. Just make sure you get it cheap...

michiganfan
12-16-2011, 05:19 PM
I willl also recommend the G 19. It is pull point and fire. So simple even I can do it.

TomE
12-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Glock considers the G19 a compact ,the G26 a sub-compact . I have a G19 after having CZ,Taurus,and KelTec. The CZ was heavy but never a problem .

Get the G19 first and save $$$$ in the long run.Or waste $2K buying junk first like I did ,ammo for testing can easily get to $500 in a couple months

The M & P's seem good ,but I have no first hand experience with them ,so I can't comment on them

Here's someone wanting to trade for a G19 ,I wonder why?

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.phpt=144055

and another example of someone wanting a G19 , sorry Brad

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142927

The above is a good deal on a good gun though,just using for an example

And we are back to the G19

Revdrshad
01-04-2012, 05:12 AM
+1 On the Sigma...
Just keep in mind, IIRC Smith & Wesson was court ordered to pay a percentage of their sales revenue to Glock. Due to blatent patent infringement...
That being said though, it is a decent gun for around $275