PDA

View Full Version : House Was Robbed Last Weekend

costanza
08-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Hopefully this post will prevent someone here from making the same mistakes I did, and I can learn a little about how others protect their homes and guns from thieves.

I left for the airport last Sunday morning at around 6 am local time. While working in California(daylight at 5 pm local time), I got the call-house broken into. I live on a corner. The thieves tried to beat in the deadbolted steel side door, then kicked in a block glass window to gain access to the inside of the doors and home. I did have my City issued big garbage cans, as well as a hedge near the window, providing a nice screen for the thieves.

following items were missing: new LCD TV/blu-ray player; four guns NOT locked in my low-end gun vault; range bag with spare mags/speedloaders/cleaning sprays/ear muffs/ammo; golf clubs; older plasma TV's in basement storage; cordless drill/saw; hunting/shooting/camping items; high end dress suits; several bottles of cologne(yes, cologne!); razors; hair trimmers; body armor; mag lites; holsters; glucose monitor; car title; file box with my receipts, loose ammo in bedroom dresser; well, quite alot of other things that I simply cannot remember or list here.

They did a fairly thorough job of searching the basement, bedrooms and bathroom. Closets and dressers were rifled; linen and hall closets were not checked; kitchen and laundry areas were ignored; boxes with "Gun Parts" labels on them were left alone(??!!), but storage bins were searched; gun vault was not touched, nor was a large, unlocked cabinet containing much ammo(yet they took every loose round from my bedroom dresser). mattresses and bookcases flipped-even those fancy hidden fake book boxes were opened.

Police do not think I was 'targeted' or watched-I think otherwise. They say it was likely a random B&E, and there is a chance(slim) of recovering my guns. Obviously, these guys were experienced and determined, yet curiously left several things alone. Took merchandise only-no ID or personal info that I have yet found missing. Neighbors saw nothing-big suprise there. Very few knew about my home and its contents, but I am gone often. I have timers, fake TV lights, and deadbolts...thought I was reasonably safe.

Items left behind by thieves due to lack of time or no interest: checkbooks on kitchen table; car/house keys on table; bank statements/bills/mail, also on table; prescription medications; small tv; computer; guns and stuff in gun vault.

My first mistake-no alarm system or decent insurance coverage. I was out of work for a long time and could not/can not afford it. Second mistake-leaving guns out of vault when going out. Both mistakes were due to me being foolish in thinking my house was safe, since I live in a decent area and neighbors would watch out for my house. Gun insurance was $40 per month for $10,000 of coverage-too high for me. Are there any cheaper policies you guys could recommend? Alarm system ideas are also welcome!

The guns were inventoried and photographed, but the rest of the home contents were not. another BIG mistake. Please take a minute with a digital camera and snap a few dozen photos of each of your rooms and its contents.

Sorry for the rambling, wandering post, but I wanted to share my experience to aid other members and gain a few ideas to prevent this from happening again...
Regards,
Costanza

RevDerb
08-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Costanza, I'm so sorry for your loss. What area of the country do you live in?

rugersingleshot
08-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Thank you for taking the time to teach us through your experience.

TAC
08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Gun insurance was $40 per month for $10,000 of coverage-too high for me. Are there any cheaper policies you guys could recommend? Alarm system ideas are also welcome!

Regards,
Costanza

$40/month for $10,000 coverage for gun insurance sounds insane! Who is your insurance company? I'll have to double check my policy, but I'm fairly certain my regular home owners insurance covers close to that on firearms, for no extra charge.

Regarding home security systems:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diy+home+alarm+systems

costanza
08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
$40/month for $10,000 coverage for gun insurance sounds insane! Who is your insurance company? I'll have to double check my policy, but I'm fairly certain my regular home owners insurance covers close to that on firearms, for no extra charge.

Regarding home security systems:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diy+home+alarm+systems
Allstate is/was my company. I live in Dearborn. Thanks for the quick responses! Gotta go-I have to go buy a new steel door now!

pgaplayerless
08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Gun insurance was $40 per month for $10,000 of coverage-too high for me. Are there any cheaper policies you guys could recommend?

I'm with Eastern Firearms Insurance, underwritten by Chubb.

~$130/yr for $25k broad coverage on guns, ammo, accessories.

7.62 Nato
08-06-2011, 09:27 AM
If you're an NRA member you do have arms insurance.

45/70fan
08-06-2011, 10:48 AM
If you're an NRA member you do have arms insurance.

You better read that policy real closek, so many limitations and exclusions it's almost useless.

TAC
08-06-2011, 10:53 AM
You better read that policy real closek, so many limitations and exclusions it's almost useless.

You mean the NRA is Not Really Accountable?

7.62 Nato
08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I didn't say it wasn't limited. Had it not been for my membership I would have recovered nothing.

djinxd
08-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the post costanza, it gives us all a chance to stop and think that no matter how nice the neighborhood it can happen to anyone....
Sorry that this happened to you.
Djinxd

Phelptwan
08-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Try collectables insurance, very affordable.

costanza
08-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the support guys! As you can see from the time of my posts, I am not sleeping well. Good info here-please keep it coming!

My tally on the losses and repairs is about $12,000. I was told to expect an increase of 20% in my homeowners premium! This with only one homeowners claim of $150 at this address since 1981! I'm sure I will be changing insurance companies for home and auto after this is all done. I simply cannot afford to pay the high premiums because of my zip code and poor credit score. Zero points on my record.

Going to Birch Run tomorrow to look at the type of guns I used to have! I have to wait for the insurance payoff before I can afford to buy any replacements-I was out of work for too long and the savings are gone. I only lost four, but two(my 1911's) were very special to me. One was my dad's that I inherited-customized by Russ Carniak 'The Accurizer'; the other was a Colt Defender. which I carried daily. My AR pistol was fun, but I was not very attached to it. My 870 home defense shotgun was not a big loss to me, as I just bought it last year.

Do NOT do as I did-lock the guns up whenever possible! Still kicking myself that I didn't lock them in the vault...I think I need a better vault! Mine is a little cheesy. Lowe's had two (Liberty brand) models-$400 & $700. Very solid looking, and easy pickup at the store(I think).
Regards,
Costanza

ColonelKurtz
08-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Sorry for the loss of your guns and other items. More sorry for the feeling that your home was violated and gutter trash went though "all" your stuff... been there, done that.

XDM 40 cal
08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
If you have the time check the pawn shops .... Make copies of the stuff you loss and see if they have bought it...

I'm Sorry for your loss, I hope everything settles out...

badriverbarber
08-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry about your loss...
Hope everyone that read this understands this can happen to YOU.
Get a quality (heavy) safe and use it.....
Its a shame that the bad guys will using HIS guns on us....

dpgperftest
08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Sorry about your loss...

Iv got a sign that says I Don't answer the door for people I don't know .If I don't know you ,if I don't know you than your trespassing .

Batman
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
I hate people coming into my home for maintenance work (plumbing, furnace, electrical, etc). I always feel that they are casing the home for a future break in. I also lock everything up.

Sorry for your loss.

ILoveMyGlock
08-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry about the degenerate lowlife scum that stole your personal posessions. I hope they are caught.

kevins_garage
08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Stuff can be replaced. I'm surprised they didn't take any bank or personal info. That stuff is usually a prime target as it is the gift that keeps on giving for most thieves - identity theft is big business.

Hopefully they catch the perps and get at least some of your stuff back.

You may want to put one or two wanted ads on craigslist for items similar to what was stolen. If the theives are stupid enough, they just might try selling it back to you...

Thomas
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry about the degenerate lowlife scum that stole your personal posessions. I hope they are caught.

Psssttt, I hope there shot breaking into another house personally! ;)

westcliffe01
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Once they have been inside, they will be back. Many wait an interval to allow for insurance replacement of the stuff they took. The fact is that they know their way around our place and could already have earmarked what they would come back for next time.

Sorry to be negative, I was robbed twice in 18 months and the second time was much worse than the first.. Value of goods stolen second time was by far higher and the gang was more organized (must have been 4-6 people).

I suggest a steel security door / gate and go over any other obvious weak spots that could allow them into the house, garage included.

Sixfootse7en
08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I suggest a steel security door / gate and go over any other obvious weak spots that could allow them into the house, garage included.

He should look into a home security system too.

travisthared
08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
For a security system, you can get a motion camera (activated by movement) that hooks to your computer, where it stores footage. That is what my friend does. Not sure how effective it is but, it is an idea.

TAC
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
For a security system, you can get a motion camera (activated by movement) that hooks to your computer, where it stores footage. That is what my friend does. Not sure how effective it is but, it is an idea.

If the cameras are of good quality with high enough resolution to identify faces, they can be very effective. Just be sure to hide the computer, or they'll steal it, along with your evidence!

travisthared
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
If the cameras are of good quality with high enough resolution to identify faces, they can be very effective. Just be sure to hide the computer, or they'll steal it, along with your evidence!
You bring a good point, without quality identification is hard if not impossible. I was thinking, I saw a gun safe some where that has ports(usb & erthernet) on the back so you can keep the computer in the safe.

costanza
08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
He should look into a home security system too.
I had a steel security door with deadbolts. They tried to break it in, but it held until they kicked in a block basement window and opened the door from the inside. Security system is on the way tomorrow, as is the new door install. New basement window this week too.

What are the pros and cons of a double sided key for a deadbolt?(the kind with keyholes on both sides-no knob to turn) I do not have a problem with my kids being able to open it in an emergency.

Once I get my meager insurance payout, I am getting a new gun safe. I eyeballed two Liberty safes at Lowe's $400 and $700. Much better than what I have now. They saw my vault. They also left behind a ton of my ammo-literally. Now I am worried that your intruders came back and mine may too. The only thing of value, aside from my guns, will be my TV. Hopefully, the alarm will be a help. I just returned to work after 2 years of being laid off, and now these dirtbags do this!

badriverbarber
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Use the double sided key lock when your not at home and a different one when you are.
My house was broken into, and when they saw they couldn't get out the doors (thay tried) thay left. That was the second time and thay didn't
take anything...

Kenbow
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I hate people coming into my home for maintenance work (plumbing, furnace, electrical, etc). I always feel that they are casing the home for a future break in. I also lock everything up.

Sorry for your loss.
I do not think most hard working repair/mantenance workers have the time or need to break into anyones home. The one with all kinds of free time and a MM cards are the ones you should worry about.:lol: I beleive the problem is gonna get worse with the cuts in the Rolls, security of our firearms and home should be a priority for all of us, no matter where we live. Mayberry is dead.

fragged
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Even worse is that I also live in dearborn.

If I could ask, what area of Dearborn do you live?

dpgperftest
08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I do not think most hard working repair/mantenance workers have the time or need to break into anyones home. The one with all kinds of free time and a MM cards are the ones you should worry about.:lol: I beleive the problem is gonna get worse with the cuts in the Rolls, security of our firearms and home should be a priority for all of us, no matter where we live. Mayberry is dead.
YES... More people will be going to jail for defending the home and family

costanza
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Even worse is that I also live in dearborn.

If I could ask, what area of Dearborn do you live?
East Dearborn-Warren and Chase area. Very decent neighborhood. Good neighbors-not good enough for me to tell them about my gun habit though. Was a neighbor watching me as I left, then rob me in broad daylight? Possibly. On a corner lot, and they broke in on the street side! Deadbolts and steel door held up, but the basement block window did not. Once inside, they simply opended the door and carried out my stuff. Curiously, I found the rear window behind my computer desk unlocked, and I ALWAYS lock it. After the B&E, my desk was pulled away from the window. Clearing a possible escape route?

Trying to get it all together now. Does anyone have any info about the Lowe's Liberty Gun safes?

durus5995
08-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I have heard of people being able to get into liberty safes by drilling. Check out a Ft. Knox gun safe I hear they are really top of the line and will customize it for you.

http://www.ftknox.com/

100% made here with US steel and every thing is lifetime except the light bulb if you have a light installed. I have more info if you want.

fragged
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I have heard of people being able to get into liberty safes by drilling. Check out a Ft. Knox gun safe I hear they are really top of the line and will customize it for you.

http://www.ftknox.com/

100% made here with US steel and every thing is lifetime except the light bulb if you have a light installed. I have more info if you want.
Another vote for the ft knox. My buddy has 2 and they would be the way to go. Way over engineered but wicked secure.

I personally have a cannon. However I am of the mindset that location plays a big part. Mine is protected by walls on 5 sides tightly snuggled in
it istje lag bolted to the concrete.

What you don't wantis for them to be able to lay itdown if you get a cheaper safe. That gives them enough leverage to pry it open with just a couple pry bars.

MountainDreamer
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Audible motion detector alarm system. You can buy them at big box stores like Lowes, Mennards, etc. for very little, approx. $10.00 . Turn em on when leaving, they give you ten seconds to disarm when returning, etc. They stay on for a minute when activated and are "Loud" and then reset themselves. Not perfect, but something for not much monies.
Sorry to hear about your dad's 1911, that sucks.

kevins_garage
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I personally have a cannon. However I am of the mindset that location plays a big part. Mine is protected by walls on 5 sides tightly snuggled in
it istje lag bolted to the concrete.
Walls on 5 sides. I'm having trouble picturing that. Is it some sort of specialty safe that has 6 sides?

Siegel1719
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Walls on 5 sides. I'm having trouble picturing that. Is it some sort of specialty safe that has 6 sides?

I believe he is considering the top and bottom of the safe in the total for 6 "Sides"

Stone
08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Before you buy a safe, contact Able Safe in Pinconning.

ABLE SAFE

4756 N. HURON ROAD (M-13)

PINCONNING, MI 48650

it wont let me link the url for the place but it is ablesafe.com

I was very confused about all the options available when I went to get a safe. I taked to the folks at Able, very helpful, gave me a good education on safes without pushing any agenda.

With the cash involved in a decent safe, worth breaking off a phone call.

joelansing
08-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I got broken into. Just kids so they took what they could carry. SKS, a nice pistol, notebook PC, Ammo, cell phone. Not too bad, but it sucked! The bad part is it's most likely my next door neighbors, so I had to change some stuff. I bought this alarm system http://www.amazon.com/AAS-600-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B002JFG3BY which actually works well! And some kinda Stack-On ?? Convertible Gun safe. And a beastly big black male German Shepard puppy.

The alarm system is great. Once I figured out a stupid AA battery wall clock was causing it to give false alarms. It uses 123A? lithium batteries that last forever, and are dirt cheap on Amazon/Ebay. It is LOUD and calls a couple neighbors and our cell phones when it goes off. The safe is 18 gun? with a lot of shelves. While not fireproof it is heavy and is mounted in a corner (harder to pry) to both floor and wall studs. The dog grew up huge, and he's pure black. My back yard is about an acre all fenced in so he's good to go. I'd like to put a camera system in place, but I want a motion activated one, not wireless, that I can stream to my web space. I haven't found such an animal yet. A camera is really optional. 35 years ago I was street scum. When you break into someplace your adrenaline is at max. When an alarm goes off the only thing you can think of is *RUN*. Camera is for identification only, a very loud reliable alarm will keep your toys safe. They may break your window or door, but when the alarm goes off the break in is all over.
- Joe

dpgperftest
08-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Check out www.x10.com

AAV 48195
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Be wary of x10. I was an installation contractor for them. The equipment rarely worked properly.
I now work for an alarm company. I can get you a great rate. I can protect safes as well. PM me if you need info.
Sorry about your loss, it sucks. I've been there myself.

kevins_garage
08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
I believe he is considering the top and bottom of the safe in the total for 6 "Sides"
It was "walls on 5 sides". I can't say I've ever heard of floors or ceilings referred to as "walls", which is why I asked...

inkbomb1968
08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately, many times with something so specific, you can look VERY close to you. FIRST, think of who may KNOW that you kept those items in THOSE very places, and you can run a list of probables IMMEDIATELY.
Sad to say, this happened to me twice and the dummies who did it, were the ONLY ones who knew of my valuables and didnt go for safe because...YOU READY FOR THIS...THEY knew that I was aware they had my safe combo. BUT, they also looked and took things that were very uncommon and in areas they wouldnt have known...so, in their planning, they OVER planned!
SORRY TO HEAR AND BE VERY CAREFUL ON YOUR INSURANCE POLICY. SPECIALIZED FIREARMS AND LIMITS ARE NOT SOMETHING THEY DISCUSS AND ANYTHING THAT HAS BEEN CHANGED, WILL MOST CERTAINLY NOT BE COVERED. SPECIFIC COVERAGE IS THE BEST WAY. DONT RELY ON STANDARD HOME OWNERS IF YOU HAVE A LARGE OR EXOTIC COLLECTION.
Good luck and PLEASE list the specific weapons so we may be on the look out if they appear! That could help with your brothers and sisters in arms knowing the type of folks who may be listing things that they really didnt know others may be watching for.

God Bless,
Bomber

Sniper21
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened. We have alarms and motion sensors in the house. I was thinking of adding cameras soon and the double sided key deadbolts. Go with an alarm. I used to work for a guy that still does them if you're interested I could give you his number.

joelansing
08-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Just wanted to say again. http://www.amazon.com/AAS-600-Wireless-Security-System/dp/B002JFG3BY work good. 25 door/window sensors, 4 key chain remotes, 5 motion sensors, indoor and outdoor sirens, smoke alarm. Mine came with a glass breakage detector (nice surprise). It dials up to 5? phone numbers and plays your pre-recorded message (land line required) It has some type of internal battery in the main unit so it works in case of power failure. It's cheap Chinese crap and only $349 but it works fine. I've had it in place for almost a year and haven't needed a battery change yet, but the 123 batteries are cheap on Amazon.
- Joe

ak47
08-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Our security system consist of 3 German Shepherds and while an alarm could be had for much cheaper, proactive is better than reactive :)

Sorry for your loss, it's getting crazy these days. We live in what appears to be a very safe area (no cable TV running to my house, so you do the math), yet both my neighbours on each side were broken into in broad daylight in thespan of just 1 year...

costanza
08-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Our security system consist of 3 German Shepherds and while an alarm could be had for much cheaper, proactive is better than reactive :)

Sorry for your loss, it's getting crazy these days. We live in what appears to be a very safe area (no cable TV running to my house, so you do the math), yet both my neighbours on each side were broken into in broad daylight in thespan of just 1 year...

That is big stretch that does not add up. Cable TV does not necessarily translate into having a very nice tv. I do not have cable or satellite tv, yet I was robbed of my large tv. But I do appreciate the kind thoughts, and I agree it is getting crazy. A house was broken into today, just two doors north of me. Kids....literally kids, on bikes, broke in and robbed a house. They were caught. Unfortunately, these kids were not likely the guys that nailed me-I doubt they could pedal away with my 52 inch tv.

ak47
08-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Cable TV does not necessarily translate into having a very nice tv.

lol, poor choice of words I guess. What I meant was that there is no cable running to my house because I live somewhat in the country, as compared to an "urban environment", where you expect the crime to be high :)

costanza
08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
lol, poor choice of words I guess. What I meant was that there is no cable running to my house because I live somewhat in the country, as compared to an "urban environment", where you expect the crime to be high :)
yeah, I thought my city area was pretty decent. Good neighbors. I live on a corner too. Too bad no one saw anything. Interesting development-Yesterday, two houses away, two kids on bikes-real bikes...pedal bikes were caught by the Dearborn PD inside a house they just broke into. Side basement window, just like mine. Coincidence? Maybe, but not likely. I'll find out more when I call the detective tomorrow. I'd LOVE to get my guns back! everything else is secondary to me. Kids seem likely to me. Easy to watch me. Small & limber enough to get in my basement window. Left my checkbooks, ID, car keys...but stole cologne, nose hair trimmers, razors? Other thoughts were the guys that put in the windows last year & the cable guys, but that seemed unlikely. Hope it is these kids. Maybe my insurance company will stop accusing me of B&E on my own home now!

tcb
08-23-2011, 05:06 PM
yeah, I thought my city area was pretty decent. Good neighbors. I live on a corner too. Too bad no one saw anything. Interesting development-Yesterday, two houses away, two kids on bikes-real bikes...pedal bikes were caught by the Dearborn PD inside a house they just broke into. Side basement window, just like mine. Coincidence? Maybe, but not likely. I'll find out more when I call the detective tomorrow. I'd LOVE to get my guns back! everything else is secondary to me. Kids seem likely to me. Easy to watch me. Small & limber enough to get in my basement window. Left my checkbooks, ID, car keys...but stole cologne, nose hair trimmers, razors? Other thoughts were the guys that put in the windows last year & the cable guys, but that seemed unlikely. Hope it is these kids. Maybe my insurance company will stop accusing me of B&E on my own home now!

Fingers crossed for you.

ak47
08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe my insurance company will stop accusing me of B&E on my own home now!

Aint that something :enforcer:

chewy
08-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Allstate is/was my company. I live in Dearborn. Thanks for the quick responses! Gotta go-I have to go buy a new steel door now!

Being that you're so close (I'm in Dearborn Heights) and that I'm a home FFL, PM me the info on your guns and I'll keep an eye out incase someone comes to try to trade or sell them.

costanza
08-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Being that you're so close (I'm in Dearborn Heights) and that I'm a home FFL, PM me the info on your guns and I'll keep an eye out incase someone comes to try to trade or sell them.
Will do Chewy! Thanks!

Yance
08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Its sad that we have to worry about things like this now a days. My house was broken into when I was in high school, they caught the guy, recovered everything but my things. My Girlfriend thought she lived in a "good" neighborhood until she forgot to lock her car one night about a year ago and someone stole the amp out of her car...but that was it. Jokes on them though cause the amp was fried. But really theres no such place as a "good" neighborhood anymore and neighborhood watches are a joke, a lot of people these days only care about them and theirs sadly. I dont trust anyone anywhere anymore. I would lock my car up in the parking garage of the white house!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and I certainly hope everything turns out the best.

HK91K
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
This is happening more and more as the economy continues, and will continue, to degrade. I worked in LE until recently, and saw so much more determined B and E attempts. Good doors and locks are not enough. Think "layered defence", and good luck. Oh, and bolt your safe down...yes, even if it weighs 1400 lbs...

thatguy423
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I live in Ghetto Park and believe me brother I feel your pain.. I recently replaced my entry doors with steel with steel jambs and have had ADT for quite some time with glass break detectors on every window, open door sensors on the entry doors, motion detectors in the basement, and a cell phone backup in the main brain in case the thieves have some intelligence and cut the phone line.. An alarm to me is just to wake my butt up so I will be in a position to deliver a nice dose of "Hope and Change" to the home invaders when the time comes.. Things are getting rough out here..

costanza
08-31-2011, 07:33 AM
I live in Ghetto Park and believe me brother I feel your pain.. I recently replaced my entry doors with steel with steel jambs and have had ADT for quite some time with glass break detectors on every window, open door sensors on the entry doors, motion detectors in the basement, and a cell phone backup in the main brain in case the thieves have some intelligence and cut the phone line.. An alarm to me is just to wake my butt up so I will be in a position to deliver a nice dose of "Hope and Change" to the home invaders when the time comes.. Things are getting rough out here..
Hey Guys:
Thanks for all the support and words of wisdom. In retreiving my guns from my friend's house (didn't trust them in my vault since the robbers saw it), I discovered yet another rifle missing-a Ruger 10-22 Sporter with a Weaver V 22 scope-my very first gun, given to me by my dad when I was 12! Is there anything wrong with posting the guns and serial numbers on MGO, since they are stolen and have been reported to the police?

I get more and more angry each day at what happened. Some of the anger is directed at me, since I didn't lock all my firearms and other valuables up before I left town-shame on me. BUT, I did nothing to deserve this, and my insurance company is implying I robbed my own house! 21 years with Allstate and this is how they treat their customers. I laugh every time I see their commercials on TV(which I no longer have because it was stolen too). "People come first", yeah, unless they have to live up to our contract obligations and actually have to pay out!

I need a bigger and better vault so I can sleep better at night. Does anyone know anything about the Cannon 6040(I think that is the right number) at Tractor Supply or Costco online? It is $1000. Costo offers free delivery.

Thanks again everyone, for allowing me to vent!
Regards,
Costanza

Yance
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
What a load of crap. How can your insurance company even feel right accusing you of robbing your own house, I hope you gave them an earful when they said that. By the time I got done with them I would have a free policy. What kind of customer service is that, you make a claim, and they accuse you of doing it yourself. I would go right through the chain of command up to the CEOs if I had to and make sure they knew how unsatisfied I was with them and their accusations that I robbed my own house.

TAC
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
What a load of crap. How can your insurance company even feel right accusing you of robbing your own house, I hope you gave them an earful when they said that. By the time I got done with them I would have a free policy. What kind of customer service is that, you make a claim, and they accuse you of doing it yourself. I would go right through the chain of command up to the CEOs if I had to and make sure they knew how unsatisfied I was with them and their accusations that I robbed my own house.

Are you serious? Insurance fraud is one of the biggest problems in our country. We pay out billions every year in excessive insurance cost due to fraud committed by some people.

No offense, or assumptions made to the OP, just stating the reason insurance companies suspect fraud in some cases.

Yance
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Well I guess the question is, how deep into an investigation did they get into before assuming he did it or did they just jump to that conclusion. If they just jumped to assuming he did it right off the get go then yeah how can they just accuse you of breaking into your own home. If they really looked deep into it and thought there was probably cause to believe it then I guess they have some grounds to stand by that statement. Either way, their first assumption shouldnt be you broke into your own home.

TAC
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Some of the things they look into is your financial situation, such as credit rating, amount of debt, employed/unemployed, difficulty paying bills on time, criminal past, etc. Sometimes they get tips from neighbors, co-workers, etc.

partdeux
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Allstate SUCKS. I had a boat incident and they claused their way out of paying $1,800. found a FANTASTIC agent, Julia Hamilton at Hartland Insurance. They have been absolutely fantastic to us, even to the point of after a not at fault accident, both she and the rep from the insurance company called a few days later checking to make sure everybody was still doing ok.

Short of building a moat with electrified razor wire, there are always opportunities for improvement. There are times I'd consider it :)

costanza
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Some of the things they look into is your financial situation, such as credit rating, amount of debt, employed/unemployed, difficulty paying bills on time, criminal past, etc. Sometimes they get tips from neighbors, co-workers, etc.
TAC:
Yes, I realize fraud is a BIG problem, and my recent credit history is horrible. I scored 817 2.5 years ago. I was out of work for almost two years and lost my home, defaulted on bank loans, couldn't pay my bills(but I paid my Allstate bills!), etc. But never EVER anything like fraud or other criminal activity of any kind. This alone would not be enough to accuse me of claim fraud. AND, to be fair, the investigator did not accuse me-he certainly did imply I was a suspect by his tone and questioning. He WAS doing his job, but the tone implied something else-at least it did to me. I provided him with airline information proving that I was in California. Not good enough. I gave him my bosses number and the name and number of the president of the company I was meeting with at the time the break-in call came through. The questions he asked were almost comical.

Q:"How do you know exactly how much your guns were worth, and how do you know what the serial numbers were? Were these handguns registered?"
A:"I was a gun dealer for 15 years and I have an excel spreadsheet with all the info on it...". (and I'm going to report an illegal gun stolen?!)

Q:"Oh. OK. There is a lot on your list-is there anything that wasn't stolen?"
A:"Well, the couch I'm sitting on is still here...my shoes and socks are still on my feet, so they are still here; my cookware is all still there...pretty much everything I own that was not on the list (actually two lists) that I provided to you, along with my photos, value estimates, and the police report"

Allstate never visited the crime scene or questioned/called the two persons first on the scene either. Great investigative work. He did get a second copy of the police report from the PD, and I hope he looked at their photos and evidence the police took for fingerprints(just thought of that...MY fingerprints were all over the evidence! It was MY EVIDENCE!). I have not heard a thing from them in almost a month now-the adjuster is on vacation..."You're in good hands with Allstate"....if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny!
Regards,
Costanza

TAC
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Have you talked to a lawyer?

costanza
09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Have you talked to a lawyer?
Hi TAC:
Actually, one of my best friends is a lawyer who rips apart insurance adjusters on a daily basis. Not a guy I can even stand to talk to on the phone-like a bulldog! He just happened to be sitting with me, looking at the bare wall where my TV was, when the call came in. He heard the whole conversation. I have been advised to wait until a reimbursement offer is made to 'retain' him. I'm sure the offer will be laughable, and that is what I'm waiting for. It is possible that I am working myself up for nothing-but I don't think so. I am sure Allstate will cancel me after this is all over-after my first claim. Any advice on new(low cost because I am now poor) auto and home insurance companies is welcomed, as is any info on new gun vaults!
Thanks Again Guys!
Costanza

partdeux
09-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Read up above, I posted my agent that I absolutely love.

Can you share your friends name and business number, me thinks it would be a good one to have in my back pocket?

TAC
09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi TAC:
Actually, one of my best friends is a lawyer who rips apart insurance adjusters on a daily basis. Not a guy I can even stand to talk to on the phone-like a bulldog! He just happened to be sitting with me, looking at the bare wall where my TV was, when the call came in. He heard the whole conversation. I have been advised to wait until a reimbursement offer is made to 'retain' him. I'm sure the offer will be laughable, and that is what I'm waiting for. It is possible that I am working myself up for nothing-but I don't think so. I am sure Allstate will cancel me after this is all over-after my first claim. Any advice on new(low cost because I am now poor) auto and home insurance companies is welcomed, as is any info on new gun vaults!
Thanks Again Guys!
Costanza

Good luck Costanza. I hope it all ends well for you. The experience was bad enough I'm sure. Their BS has got to be unbearable!

costanza
11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
TAC:
Yes, I realize fraud is a BIG problem, and my recent credit history is horrible. I scored 817 2.5 years ago. I was out of work for almost two years and lost my home, defaulted on bank loans, couldn't pay my bills(but I paid my Allstate bills!), etc. But never EVER anything like fraud or other criminal activity of any kind. This alone would not be enough to accuse me of claim fraud. AND, to be fair, the investigator did not accuse me-he certainly did imply I was a suspect by his tone and questioning. He WAS doing his job, but the tone implied something else-at least it did to me. I provided him with airline information proving that I was in California. Not good enough. I gave him my bosses number and the name and number of the president of the company I was meeting with at the time the break-in call came through. The questions he asked were almost comical.

Q:"How do you know exactly how much your guns were worth, and how do you know what the serial numbers were? Were these handguns registered?"
A:"I was a gun dealer for 15 years and I have an excel spreadsheet with all the info on it...". (and I'm going to report an illegal gun stolen?!)

Q:"Oh. OK. There is a lot on your list-is there anything that wasn't stolen?"
A:"Well, the couch I'm sitting on is still here...my shoes and socks are still on my feet, so they are still here; my cookware is all still there...pretty much everything I own that was not on the list (actually two lists) that I provided to you, along with my photos, value estimates, and the police report"

Allstate never visited the crime scene or questioned/called the two persons first on the scene either. Great investigative work. He did get a second copy of the police report from the PD, and I hope he looked at their photos and evidence the police took for fingerprints(just thought of that...MY fingerprints were all over the evidence! It was MY EVIDENCE!). I have not heard a thing from them in almost a month now-the adjuster is on vacation..."You're in good hands with Allstate"....if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny!
Regards,
Costanza
Well, Well, what do you know? Allstate sent me a letter saying they were reviewing my claim! only 3 months and 5 days after it was reported! I'm sure they will lowball me on the cost of my losses, and I can vigorously defend the cost of each item stolen. At least they didn't use my 20 year old address this time. However, they do not have a working phone number for me despite the Allstate adjuster calling me a dozen times over the last three months....They are such morons it amazes me...

pkgd63
11-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Sounds like they are just stringing you along because of the size of the claim.

My brother had allstate, and lives in a small house in a borderline area, not bad but close. We had a bad storm last winter and he lost power, so he brought his family to my house for the night. Got broken into and had some stuff stolen, not a huge claim probably 6k.

Allstate was good about it and paid in a reasonable amount of time. Fast forward 6 months and he gets broken into again, this time they didn't get much, maybe 2k of game systems and laptops.

Allstate really treated him like a criminal the second time, This was several months ago and I know they canceled him but actually I don't know what they paid him. Took forever, lots of questioning and threatening etc.

We spent a bunch of money and rebuilt his front door, and added security doors everywhere, and some new motion lights. Kinda stinks to have to have security doors, but what are you going to do.

costanza
11-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Well, Well, what do you know? Allstate sent me a letter saying they were reviewing my claim! only 3 months and 5 days after it was reported! I'm sure they will lowball me on the cost of my losses, and I can vigorously defend the cost of each item stolen. At least they didn't use my 20 year old address this time. However, they do not have a working phone number for me despite the Allstate adjuster calling me a dozen times over the last three months....They are such morons it amazes me...
Nope. No such luck. Those letters were for a 1 mph auto 'accident', not for the break in payout. Allstate is screwing with me big time. I have a great lawyer for these kinds of cases, but really? How can they sleep at night, treating customers like criminals? I lost my guns, TV, Blu-ray, hunting, scuba, golf, camping stuff....now I'm again the victim. Please consider choosing another insurance company if you have or are considering Allstate.

XDM 40 cal
11-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Nope. No such luck. Those letters were for a 1 mph auto 'accident', not for the break in payout. Allstate is screwing with me big time. I have a great lawyer for these kinds of cases, but really? How can they sleep at night, treating customers like criminals? I lost my guns, TV, Blu-ray, hunting, scuba, golf, camping stuff....now I'm again the victim. Please consider choosing another insurance company if you have or are considering Allstate.

I'm glad i dont have allstate anymore.... Are you a member of NRA? if so they insure all you firearms.... I know this a moot point, just asking.

I hope you dont have to get legal on them.

Mr_Fitzz
11-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I cheap thing you can do to help stop a random brake in, is to jump on eBay and buy some adt stickers, most homes will be passed over if they think you have an alarm.

Greenmann
11-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry about your loss, if a theif wants in they will get it, although there are a few things everyone can do to incresse their home security, an alarm system is a small deterent, monitering can be expensive, and police responce is lacking depending on area, just try listening to a police scanner in your area, see how many calls go mostly unanswerd, or 30-60 mins late. go with one with celuler back up if you do get a moniterd system. as the theif will rip all phone and cable lines off the house. getting an un-moniterd system will mayke a lot of noise and may alert neighbors.a simple alarm with keypad and a couple motion detectors will work fine. if you do go with an alarm make sure you have it installed in an attic space as the will race to the basement and rip/cut an alarm system out to stop the alarm from going off.
windows or glass block you can order glass laminate, and install it yourself.
Signage make sure you use a known alarm company signs and stickers. use "Dog on premess" signs although many will look for signs of a dog, path along fence, landmines, dog toys in yard, ect.
Outdoor lighting and shildede areas make sure you have plenty of lights and no cover areas. though most break ins happen durring the day while people are at work. block access to driveway use a locked chain/gate you dont want a service vechicle to park in the driveway kep them on the road if possable. they dont want to be carrying your stuff to the curb.
All in all if someone wants in they will get in.

tgd31968
11-13-2011, 10:58 AM

MOST, no. SOME have drug habits, gambling debts, family with bills or whatever. They may not be a thief, but they can tip off others.

Problem is, you won't know by looking what kind of person you are dealing with.

I am the same way about letting them in. I cover or hide as much as I can. I also have a curtain in front of my safe which is in a recess just so it isn't the first thing you see when in that area. I could be just a closet with a curtain over it unless you look behind it.
Bottom line is if someone wants in, they will get in. An alarm is about the only way to scare them off once they do.
As my dad always said, Locks keep out honest people.

All you can do is try to look less easy to break into than your neighbor.

costanza
11-18-2011, 07:31 AM
MOST, no. SOME have drug habits, gambling debts, family with bills or whatever. They may not be a thief, but they can tip off others.Problem is, you won't know by looking what kind of person you are dealing with.

I am the same way about letting them in. I cover or hide as much as I can. I also have a curtain in front of my safe which is in a recess just so it isn't the first thing you see when in that area. I could be just a closet with a curtain over it unless you look behind it.
Bottom line is if someone wants in, they will get in. An alarm is about the only way to scare them off once they do.
As my dad always said, Locks keep out honest people.

All you can do is try to look less easy to break into than your neighbor.
This is very true. It could even be an innocent comment by someone visiting your home. A simple comment such as "This guy has a really cool hunting rifle" is all that is needed to tip off a bad guy. Was it a friend of a friend? A cable guy? Just a random B&E? I'll never know.

Please, to save yourself a lot of headaches, photograph ALL things in your home and garage! It is essentially free with a digital camera-just buy a flash drive for $10 or $20 and keep it in your vault, your office desk, anywhere not in plain sight. Get a GOOD insurance company-NOT ALLSTATE! and get a good vault and alarm. Perhaps most of all, do not advertise what you have to anyone except your closest friends!

After giving two recorded sworn statements by phone, signing an affidavit, and having a private investigator visit my house three months after the break-in, I now have to give a sworn statement of loss to Allstate's outside attorney. This, along with three years of tax records, cell phone records to prove I was out of town, all receipts and photos that were already given to Allstate...and the list goes on and on. I understand their concern with potential fraud, but this is absolutely absurd! I am a victim twice...Please review your current policy and discuss with your agent. And if you happen to have Allstate insurance, PLEASE reconsider your choice. I was a customer for 21+ years, and they have been worthless. I would be far better off with no insurance.

11-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I didn't say it wasn't limited. Had it not been for my membership I would have recovered nothing.

Did you actually get something from the NRA insurance? I've never heard of them paying a claim.

Can you tell us a little more about their claim process?

Batman
11-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Im my limited experience with insurance company claims I've found that when a payout is made it will be for no more than 50% of the actual value to replace the item.

I had a really good friend who had AAA homeowners and he had a total loss house fire. AAA treated him like crap, would only pay for 50% of the replacement cost even though he had replacement cost insurance and finally ended up sueing for the value. I had AAA at the time and drop them. It's all BS.

Ruger
11-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Im my limited experience with insurance company claims I've found that when a payout is made it will be for no more than 50% of the actual value to replace the item.

I had a really good friend who had AAA homeowners and he had a total loss house fire. AAA treated him like crap, would only pay for 50% of the replacement cost even though he had replacement cost insurance and finally ended up sueing for the value. I had AAA at the time and drop them. It's all BS.

They only owe the depreciated value on personal property until it is indeed replaced. At which time upon providing the receipt for the "New" replaced item you can be made whole! Or if the item replaced has increased in cost they will pay up to 1xx% of that item.
So it could indeed work both ways but the likelihood of a piece of "Personal Property" increasing in value is slim in most cases. But it could and has happened.

kevins_garage
11-23-2011, 04:15 PM

My limited experience has been exactly the opposite for claims, but I don't insure with AAA or Allstate. I have had claims paid pretty easily with all of the companies I have insured with and all personal property claims have been paid in full less deductible. The only times I have gotten paid less than the replacement cost was on autos and other vehicles.

I know AAA and Allstate insure a lot of folks, but more often than not when I hear people complain about home and/or auto claims, those seem to be the two companies complained about the most...

steve581581
11-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Neighbors never see anything or just don't want to get involved. In the year and a half I've been working in foreclosed homes I've only had the police called 3 or 4 times and on average I have to "gain access" into 3 houses a day. I've had neighbors watch through windows, stand on their porches, and even come up and talk to me while I'm breaking in. Personally I keep my guns and valuables in a safe bolted to the floor in the spare bedroom closet that my two pits stay in while I'm gone. The rest can be easily compensated for by homeowners. If I had to travel often for work I'd look into a nicer safe anchored to the floor hidden somewhere.

Revdrshad
01-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Sorry for your loss.
I'm also looking at the best safes I can and should finally be able to get a decent fire safe this weekend.
On a side note... I had ALLSTATE a decade ago for motorcycle insurance. After having them for two years, claim and accident free, my renewal notice came and ALLSTATE had MULTIPLIED MY PREMIUM BY EIGHT!!!! ($500 to $4,000 annually)
I told them where they could put their policy, and had to deal with them HARRASSING me to re-new it. I finally talked to a "regional manager" explained what happened and she said she'd take care of it.
Luckily I never heard from them again...
They started a huge campaign around 2006 to insure baby-boomers around Michigan. I told a lot of people my story with them.

I hope by now this got all worked out for you....

costanza
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry for your loss.
I'm also looking at the best safes I can and should finally be able to get a decent fire safe this weekend.
On a side note... I had ALLSTATE a decade ago for motorcycle insurance. After having them for two years, claim and accident free, my renewal notice came and ALLSTATE had MULTIPLIED MY PREMIUM BY EIGHT!!!! ($500 to $4,000 annually)
I told them where they could put their policy, and had to deal with them HARRASSING me to re-new it. I finally talked to a "regional manager" explained what happened and she said she'd take care of it.
Luckily I never heard from them again...
They started a huge campaign around 2006 to insure baby-boomers around Michigan. I told a lot of people my story with them.

I hope by now this got all worked out for you....
Thanks Revdrshad! As a matter of fact, I just received my depreciated check from Allstate last week! It only took Five months and three days to collect! As soon as I can get time, I am switching insurance companies. No way I'll stay with those *******s after the crap they put me through.

Sad part is, I went to the Birch Run gun show to buy a replacement handgun-none in the right caliber! I had been talking to a dealer for months waiting for the cash-now the gun is sold!

XDM 40 cal
01-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks Revdrshad! As a matter of fact, I just received my depreciated check from Allstate last week! It only took Five months and three days to collect! As soon as I can get time, I am switching insurance companies. No way I'll stay with those *******s after the crap they put me through.

Sad part is, I went to the Birch Run gun show to buy a replacement handgun-none in the right caliber! I had been talking to a dealer for months waiting for the cash-now the gun is sold!

Glad its over with... As far as HG, what were you looking for? PM me if you like.

Happy hunting.:bounce2:

costanza
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Glad its over with... As far as HG, what were you looking for? PM me if you like.

Happy hunting.:bounce2:
Hey XDM 40! I too am glad it is over. I feel like I was acquitted of a crime I didn't commit! I was looking for a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. Birch Run actually had two in 9mm, but I'm a .45 guy. I'd opt for a different(newer) platform for a 9mm. I know there is one for sale here, but the guy is in Cadillac, and I want to see the gun before I buy it. Truth be told, I'd prefer a new one.

partdeux
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
If you're interested in a great company / agent, PM me.

XDM 40 cal
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey XDM 40! I too am glad it is over. I feel like I was acquitted of a crime I didn't commit! I was looking for a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. Birch Run actually had two in 9mm, but I'm a .45 guy. I'd opt for a different(newer) platform for a 9mm. I know there is one for sale here, but the guy is in Cadillac, and I want to see the gun before I buy it. Truth be told, I'd prefer a new one.

Last time i was in Top Gun i think they had one.. give them a call ...:multi:

costanza
05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Well, guys, from what I am told, my final (I think) check is on the way from Allstate for my losses on July 31st! It took over five months to be paid for the bulk of my losses, but my follow-up claims for recently discovered missing items have been handled quickly.

My follow up question this time is:

What are the odds of the police EVER recovering my stolen handguns(3), rifle, and shotgun? Insurance has paid me for them, but the sentimental value of my dad's inherited guns, and Russ Carniak's custom work is lost on the thugs that now own them. Do the police return stolen guns or melt them down? The thought of my dad's colt Series 70 1911 in a blast furnace makes me want to cry! All firearms were reported stolen, with serial numbers and photos, to the police. Obviously, the handguns were registered to me. I appreciate all the responses to my original thread started here in August of 2011. Everyone's help here at MGO has made this event a little easier to stomach!
Thanks!
Costanza

XDM 40 cal
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Well, guys, from what I am told, my final (I think) check is on the way from Allstate for my losses on July 31st! It took over five months to be paid for the bulk of my losses, but my follow-up claims for recently discovered missing items have been handled quickly.

What are the odds of the police EVER recovering my stolen handguns(3), rifle, and shotgun? Insurance has paid me for them, but the sentimental value of my dad's inherited guns, and Russ Carniak's custom work is lost on the thugs that now own them. Do the police return stolen guns or melt them down? The thought of my dad's colt Series 70 1911 in a blast furnace makes me want to cry! All firearms were reported stolen, with serial numbers and photos, to the police. Obviously, the handguns were registered to me. I appreciate all the responses to my original thread started here in August of 2011. Everyone's help here at MGO has made this event a little easier to stomach!
Thanks!
Costanza

Well i guess the Ins. company drag there feet long enough....:-o

As to the stolen guns,being the police have the # and it possible to get it back, the hope is they werent used in a crime... They should contact you and let you know your property has been recovered.

Destroying them could happen if and when IDK...

costanza
09-21-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks!
Costanza
Hey Guys! Finally, my ordeal is just about over! Got the home alarm and new door and window to replace the damaged ones, New 600 pound safe in the basement, picking up a new (to me, anyway) Colt tomorrow-the last major gun that was stolen, and Allstate is LONG GONE as my insurance company! I now have PGA's insurance guy, and the separate firearm insurance company he recommended as well! Thanks to all for your support! It has been a long 15 months, but it is just about over!
regards,
Costanza

TAC
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
ALLSTATE = MAYHEM!

costanza
09-22-2012, 01:11 PM
ALLSTATE = MAYHEM!
Those are very funny commercials! I like the GPS one, where he screams out "RECALCULATING"! I don't think much of the company, but that is some funny stuff!

Veteran
09-24-2012, 03:15 PM
I've hated that Co., since 1970. My agent wanted to charge me high risk premiums and told me not to tell my future wife's Ins. co that I might be driving her car. I got ins with her Ins. Co. and guess what? not high risk at all. Those two open hands in the commercials mean, GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!!!