PDA

View Full Version : so this is going to be my first year hunting with a bow

Tyler
08-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't want to miss any class this year for hunting, (because I am finally starting theclasses that are actually going to help my career) so I decided to stay down south this year and bow hunt on my uncle's property. I bought a new hunting bow (I used to shoot bows as a SMALL child) and started practicing and sighting it in with my uncle's help. I am getting pretty proficient with it, and am more excited than ever for deer season this year! Usually I go to watersmeet, and this year I am hunting in newaygo. Usually I hunt with a gun, and this year I am hunting with a bow. It is a new experience, and hopefully I learn some valuable lessons that will help me in hunting for the rest of my life.

Anyway, to the point. Any tips for a newbie to bow hunting?

TomE
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Newaygo County or Newaygo City mailing address?

Ruger
08-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Used to hunt Ruby Creek area. Back then they had a huge deer population.

Toledo Kid
08-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Watch Out for BigFoot...:p

TomE
08-06-2011, 02:34 PM
It would be nice to bring out that G17C with light for protection , that there Newayga Woods has things out there ,like black bear and 4 legged cougar

Tyler
08-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I am not sure if it is considered either... it might be north of newaygo. It is off the sand lake exit on 131, but they usually refer to it as newaygo. There children go to grant schools.

Newaygo County or Newaygo City mailing address?

sbowhuntr
08-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Practice, practice, practice....If you plan on tree stand hunting practice from an elevated platform or tree stand so you are familiar with shooting from those angles, the more you shoot the more confidence you will build..The biggest thing is safety, always wear a safety harness if you plan on tree stand hunting.. I do most of my bow hunting in northern Kent co. and southern Newaygo co. and in the Sand lake area also..Both counties offer great hunting opportunities...Good luck this fall...

TomE
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I am not sure if it is considered either... it might be north of newaygo. It is off the sand lake exit on 131, but they usually refer to it as newaygo. There children go to grant schools.

I'm in Brooks Twp ,with Newaygo Mailing address ,Newaygo Schools Grant Twp is a half mile away . Lots of farmland there in Grant

swany
08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Practice a lot, shoot around 6 inches below where you want the arrow to go, they will squat about that much when going for the first leap. Unless taking a almost straight down shot from a tree.

Groo
08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Here are a couple of jems I learned from my mistakes while bow hunting.

Remember to pick you spot based on the more limited range of a bow rather than what would be a good hunting spot with the rifle you are used to.

Bow limbs move when you release them. this is especially important when hunting from a blind or with branches near by. It was louder than a gunshot when my limb smacked the fiberglass roof panel of the shed.

aquatic-archer
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Bait.