PDA

View Full Version : When does one have to wear hunter orange ?

westcliffe01
08-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I did the hunter safety training this past weekend with my son in law.

The DNR officer who was the instructor said that one has to wear hunter orange for everything but turkey hunting ?

I only have plans for coyote hunting this season. I thought predators could recognize color ? I have never seen a picture of someone on a coyote hunt who was wearing orange. I will be on private land and will not be active during firearm deer season.

Whats the deal ?

Any references to regulations in this regard ?

Joeywhat
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(a1f1f445y4fuab454lwyt355))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-324-40116&highlight=hunter%20AND%20orange

Made_in_Michigan
08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
...whenever there may be a DNR officer within 5 miles it is a good idea to be in hunter orange....

That and November 15th...

/sarcasm off...

westcliffe01
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Joey, thanks for the reference.

When they say stationary, I hope they mean when actually engaged in the hunt (in the blind, calling in the coyotes). Obviously to get into position one has to move, and you have to leave afterwards. I have seen spot and stalk executed on fox and coyote, and the hunters wore white camo to blend in with the snow. They would have been busted for sure with hunter orange.

I specifically asked the instructor about predator hunting, and his answer was pretty much a paraphrase of section 1 (Hunter orange has to be worn when taking game from August 15- April 30). It looks to me like there is some latitude for interpretation, as well as an apparently incorrect opinion on one of the resident officers, so that does not bode well for field encounters...

Quote:
2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person engaged in the taking of deer with a bow or crossbow during archery deer season, a person taking bear with a bow or crossbow, a person engaged in the taking of turkey or migratory birds other than woodcock, a person engaged in the sport of falconry, or a person who is stationary and in the act of hunting bobcat, coyote, or fox.

topcide
08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
if your in the woods from sept 15 on,even if your not hunting you should have orange on IMO.

when I am walking from my tree stand back to my car during archery season, I throw an orange hat on.

westcliffe01
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Its a farm where too many small animals have been taken near the buildings recently. Most of the shooting area is to the west and north west. With permission of the land owner, I will probably set up near the buildings and shoot with the wind in my face. With an east or south wind, I will probably have tree stands, but 3 of the neighbors are counting on me to knock down the population some and put the fear of man back in them....

I have no problem wearing orange when the hunt is done, but wearing it while trying to stay hidden seems completely pointless.