PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Shooting was justified, police say

Knimrod
04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Shooting was justified, police say
April 06, 2006
Domingo Ramirez
Star-Telegram

IRVING — An Irving teen-ager accused of trying to rob a man at gunpoint Wednesday night was shot by the victim in a parking lot of an apartment complex, police said Thursday.

The 16-year-old remained in intensive care in critical condition Thursday at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, police said. The teen suffered a gunshot wound to the chest, police said.

The man was not injured, police said. Police declined to identify the man or the teen.

No other injuries were reported in the shooting that occurred about 9 p.m. Wednesday in the 9400 block of E. Valley Ranch Parkway.

The attempted holdup victim, a 45-year-old Irving man, told police that he was sitting in his pickup truck in the parking lot, talking on his cellphone, when the teen walked up. The teen — armed with a semi-automatic handgun — demanded the man’s cellphone and wallet, police said.

The man told the teen he would give him his wallet and acted as though he was going to get it, but instead grabbed a larger caliber revolver that was lying on the seat, police said.

As he pushed the teen’s gun away, the man shot the suspect, police said.

The teen spun around and ran away, police said. Fearing that the teen would return, the man drove away from the complex, police said.

A few minutes later, residents found the teen, without a handgun, sitting on a curb near the apartment complex office, telling them he had been shot, police said.

The teen was transported by ambulance to Parkland, police said. As the teen was headed to the hospital, the man called police to say that he had almost been robbed at the apartment complex.

The man drove back to the complex and gave police details of the attempted holdup.

Because the teen did not have a handgun when he was found, police searched the complex and discovered it a few hours later.

“At this point, we believe it was self-defense,” Irving police spokesman David Tull said.

The teen is expected to be charged with aggravated robbery, Tull said. The shooting case will be turned over to a Dallas County grand jury for consideration, Tull said.

Link to story (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/14280338.htm)

Tank
04-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Besides the nice riding weather in Texas, that was the only other thing I really liked about TX. Self-defense shooting is rarely ever questions or prosecuted. Now on the far end of that they are also legal to shoot you on their property if they don't want you there and tell you to get off and you don't.:straf:

goldwing2000
04-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Another score for the good guys!! :score:

Now on the far end of that they are also legal to shoot you on their property if they don't want you there and tell you to get off and you don't.:straf:

I don't see a problem with that.

Tank
04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Another score for the good guys!! :score:

I don't see a problem with that.

Only problem being walking up to a house with your bike or car broke down and some nut job high on meth answers the door with his double barrel 10ga matching up with the nostrils on your nose! :crazy: He'd get away with it.

goldwing2000
04-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Only problem being walking up to a house with your bike or car broke down and some nut job high on meth answers the door with his double barrel 10ga matching up with the nostrils on your nose! :crazy: He'd get away with it.

Except you're forgetting the "... tell you to get off and you don't" part. You can bet if someone sticks a shotgun in my face, I'm not going to ask for a written invitation to leave.

Done Deal
04-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Ya gotta love Texas.

But, I am surprised that LE didn't require some remedial shooting classes for the person in the truck.

If yur only gonna shoot once, you would think that you would be able to do a little better at putting the bad guy down at close range...instead of letting him wander off to perhaps cause more trouble.