PDA

View Full Version : First time hunter...

gbs328
08-14-2011, 06:47 AM
I've never hunted, but have always wanted to. No one in my family hunts so I'm learning on my own. Oddly enough no one at my office really hunts either. I'm an adult and felt pretty old at 47 when I took the hunter's safety course last fall. I have all my own equipment and firearms, but I have no idea where to hunt. I've called some clubs but I really don't want to drop a couple of grand for a weekend. If you have property or have any suggestions to help me have a good first hunt please reply. I'm will to pay my way for everything. Thanks for reading...

TomE
08-14-2011, 07:24 AM
First off ,where do you live ? The reason for the question is to put yourself in contact with people in your area that hunt .BTW welcome to the forum

gbs328
08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm in Macomb County but I can drive anywhere including the UP.

Thank you...

TomE
08-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Algonac State Park behind the Archery Range ,then towards the river . Lots of good deer there.

There is a lot of State Land in the thumb area ,look at the map

Or drive the back roads there and stop at some farmer's house with your hat in your hand and ask . I know that's tough ,but so is the Macomb ,St. Clair area.

Thats what I did in your area.

TomE
08-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Algonac State Park behind the Archery Range ,then towards the river . Lots of good deer there.

There is a lot of State Land in the thumb area ,look at the map

Or drive the back roads there and stop at some farmer's house with your hat in your hand and ask . I know that's tough ,but so is the Macomb ,St. Clair area.

Thats what I did in your area.

dpgperftest
08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
just don't gut shoot them or you will need some Vic's rub for your noise and a garden hose :hick:

Ruger
08-14-2011, 07:51 PM
First time hunter no matter what the age should be mentored. If for no other reason but the experience they posses.

Keep this thread alive and eventually someone will step up and get ya where ya want to go!

Everyone in my family was started on small game because that's the way I was introduced to hunting.

Canned bird hunts are something to consider and they won't break the bank.

Canned deer hunts can cost a bundle but almost all of them have a special anterless hunts that are reasonable.

gbs328
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you very much. I will check out that location and take a ride around the thumb next weekend and see if I can shake some hands before hunting season. Thank again...

gbs328
08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Great advice. Thanks... I was going to call a couple of the hunt clubs about joining as well. Inwill keep reading the post.

Stuffed Shirt
08-15-2011, 07:08 AM
There is lots of state land for deer hunting but, lots of orange in the woods too.

A guided waterfowl hunt is worth the price of admission as those hunts are gear and scouting intensive but, can be a real blast and very informative with the right guide.

Deer hunting, is another story and I agree with the advice on mentoring. There is simply too much knowledge that is necessary (from scouting to technique to after the kill) that it will take you years to learn on your own, even with the internet.

Small game hunting can also be done on state land and please, take a video the first time that you try and skin a squirrel.

Good luck, being out in the woods or on the water is the truest form of recreating.