PDA

View Full Version : Trap shooter a national champion

Knimrod
04-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Trap shooter a national champion
April 09, 2006
Jessica Soule
The Saginaw News

A Hemlock High School student earned the title of High All Around Winner in a national trap shooting contest. He has his sights set on the joining the All-American Shooting Team.

Collin C. Wietfeldt took home six awards at the 2006 Southern Grand American Championship in Odessa, Fla., in March.

In addition to All AroundWinner, the 15-year-old won the titles Southern Grand Singles Champion and Southern Grand Doubles Champion, in which contestants shoot at two targets for each pull. He was runner-up in three other categories.

"I used to play football, but then I started this (sport) and I don't care if I ever do those things again," said Wietfeldt, who started competing in trap shooting three years ago.

"It's fun. Some people like hunting, I like this."

The high school freshman serves as captain of the state Sub-Junior Trap Shooting Team. Greg M. King, director of the Saginaw Field and Stream Club, where Wietfeldt practices, says the youth has a great shot at becoming one of the 10 best marksmen in the country.

There are 34,000 registered trap shooters in the nation, and only two teams of five represent the All-American team for each age category.

Wietfeldt needs to compete in three states and accumulate a certain amount of points from last September to the end of August to qualify for a spot.

Wietfeldt's father, Craig H. Wietfeldt, taught the teen how to hunt, but it was King who opened his eyes to the world of trap shooting competition.

The teen spends two or three nights during the school year, including "bitter cold" winter days, and four or more summer nights a week practicing at the club, 1500 N. Gleaner in Thomas Township, said his mother, Michele S. Wietfeldt.

The youth -- also an avid fisherman -- goes through about 300 shotgun shells a week at a cost of nearly $40, he estimated.

Competing in the sport also means target fees, competition entry charges and, of course, gun purchases. During the summer, Wietfeldt works part-time keeping score for trap shooters to help finance his competition costs and save for college.

He's got a 3.37 grade-point average at Hemlock High School. Wietfeldt and his family are researching universities to find those that offer scholarships for shooting.

He wants to study engineering but plans to continue with his sport, he said.

Michele Wietfeldt said she's got no worries about her youngest child's choice of sports.

"They preach safety here," she said. "I'm not nervous. You hear guns and kids, and people panic. I would rather they know how to use it.

"(Guns) are just like cars. They're dangerous if you don't use them properly."

As Collin Wietfeldt put it, "It's not the gun but the person behind it."

The first time he tried trap shooting, Wietfeldt brought down fewer than half of the 25 orange clay targets. That didn't concern King.

The club's old-timers saw his natural talent and praised the then-11-year-old for his concentration and hand-eye coordination, King said.

"We knew right away he would do good," King said. "He is willing to listen and he's got the desire."

The teen wears specially-made ear plugs, safety glasses, a vest with a padded shoulder and gloves.

His green vest bears patches marking his various accomplishments, including hitting 25, 50 and 75 targets in a row. He missed adding a 100 perfect score by one "bird," or clay target. During his last competition, he missed his 97th clay, finishing with a tally of 99.

"He's really serious when he shoots -- he doesn't smile. He's concentrating," Michele Wietfeldt said. "But after he's done, there's a big old smile on his face."

Link to story (http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-18/1144578100139710.xml?sanews?NECN&coll=9&thispage=2)