PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Drops Gun Sales in Some Stores

Knimrod
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Wal-Mart Drops Gun Sales in Some Stores
April 14, 2006
http://www.migunowners.org/images/ap.gif

CHICAGO — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) has decided to stop selling guns in about a third of its U.S. stores in what it calls a marketing decision based on lack of demand in some places, a company spokeswoman said Friday.

The world's largest retailer decided last month to remove firearms from about 1,000 stores in favor of stocking other sporting goods, in line with a "Store of the Community" strategy for boosting sales by paying closer attention to local differences in demand.

"This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand in these markets," said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart.

Stewart declined to specify what stores were affected.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., has about 1,200 discount stores and 1,900 Supercenters, which include a full grocery section, in all 50 states. Wal-Mart says it sells rifles and shotguns. In Alaska, it also sells handguns.

"As with all merchandise decisions that we make, our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer purchase history of firearms in a given community," Stewart said.

Wal-Mart's experimental new Supercenter for more upscale shoppers, which opened last month in the affluent Dallas suburb of Plano, does not carry guns.

Link to story (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191818,00.html)

J 92 Brigadier
04-15-2006, 01:05 PM
I bought some WWB at Wal-Mart today and learned that the 23 MI Rd store in Shelby Twp and the one on M-59 and Mound in Sterling Heights are both dropping guns. On the other hand, the clerk in charge felt they would keep selling ammo.

Kouger
04-15-2006, 02:19 PM
the way that its hitting the rumour mill is..

this is only going to effect stores that have a BIG DROP in gun sales

ammo will still be avail. unlesss those sales drop BIG as well

( i know 5 or 6 people that work at wally world and checked into what they could...they are handgunners and hunters alike)

Done Deal
04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
The firearm selection at two local Wally Worlds isn't anything to get excited about anyway but...with two new Super Centers coming, I would like to see one of them still carry firearms but, a decent selection would be nice too. They are just too generic to meet my needs.

keyjockey
04-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Don't think I'd ever buy a gun at Wal-Mart anyway.

I'd much rather support my local gun stores than a large corporation for that kind of item. Better service, better knowledge.

Just my opinion.

Kimber45
04-16-2006, 08:16 AM

I'd much rather support my local gun stores than a large corporation for that kind of item. Better service, better knowledge.

Just my opinion.

You are right on Mark.

Akers60
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
the guns they have at my local wally seem cheap and not even worth the money. There ammo doesn't even have decent prices that why i only buy from my local gunshop.

Divegeek
04-17-2006, 05:49 AM
It depends on what you want. If you are looking for a shotgun, they frequently have baseline Mossburgs, and Remmingtons. Looking for a plinker. They usually carry .22 Marlins and Remmington 10/22's. I have also seen some nice Henry lever action rifles in there. The price you pay is also usually cheaper than what your local gun dealer pays. Now remember that by shopping at Wally World for rifles you sacrifice a lot in the arena of knowledge and service. I have only ever bought two guns from them, a Mossberg 500A, and a stainless .22 Marlin plinker as an anniversary gift to the wife. If I was looking for a hunting gun or a good target rifle I would either be heading a mile down the road to Cabelas or into Monroe to Magnum Force.

Tank
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM

Just my opinion.

I concur. Basically if it'll save me $20-$50... I'd just as much like to spend the extra $ and get more personal service with someone locally (or not as the case is with W.I.J.G.) and know the service will be there after the sale.

keyjockey
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
It depends on what you want. If you are looking for a shotgun, they frequently have baseline Mossburgs, and Remmingtons. Looking for a plinker. They usually carry .22 Marlins and Remmington 10/22's. I have also seen some nice Henry lever action rifles in there. The price you pay is also usually cheaper than what your local gun dealer pays. Now remember that by shopping at Wally World for rifles you sacrifice a lot in the arena of knowledge and service. I have only ever bought two guns from them, a Mossberg 500A, and a stainless .22 Marlin plinker as an anniversary gift to the wife. If I was looking for a hunting gun or a good target rifle I would either be heading a mile down the road to Cabelas or into Monroe to Magnum Force.

Its NOT about price. Most of the FFL's I deal with are homegrown, down-to-earth, knowledgeable merchants who take pride in their business and cultivate their customer base. I would much rather deal with these individuals than a faceless corporation. Granted, outrageous pricing by anybody will lose a sale, but I have not found this to be an issue to this point.

Divegeek
04-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Yes I too usually shop at Magnum Force or Cabelas. Both are very knowledable, and both have treated me very well any time I have been in there. In my above post I actually mentioned that fact that Wally World doesn't know squat usually.

Akers60
04-18-2006, 07:06 AM
The only place i have ever went to is williams gun outfitters in davision. They have decent prices on guns and ammo but their holsters are a little outrageous

Batman
04-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Something to consider.. With the price of gas going toward $3.00 one must consider the cost of getting to the store to buy your toys. It will cost me, living in GP about 7 gallons of gas or $21 to go to Gun's Galore in Fenton to get their good deals, which when you add in the $21 might not be such a good deal.:|

Akers60
04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
i live less than a half a mile to my guns store and range so im not too worried on the gas factor