PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in coyote hunting

CaveNil
08-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a friend who has some land, and he would like me to shoot coyotes on it.

He keeps wild rabbits, so that his beagles can chase them around for training. I don't know anything about coyote hunting at all, but it sounds like it would be fun. I'm a total novice.

I have a semi-automatic rifle in .308. Is this appropriate for hunting coyotes? How do I get started? Do you bait them? When is the season?

Thank you, experts!!!

Dsully
08-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I'd like to know as well. Can I use a 50 cal?

CaveNil
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Hahaha you're very funny.

It's the only rifle I have besides a .22.

Seriously, anybody know a good way to shoot a few of these things?

fr3db3ar
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Check out this site for local to michigan tips.

http://scraphorn.proboards.com/index.cgi

Get a hand call and practice a little. Sounds don't have to be perfect. To start I suggest a turkey feather on a string just to get their attention when they come so they are not looking directly at you.

Daytime only until Oct 15 then nighttime is allowed with rimfire or shotgun, no centerfire at night.

Go try it and find out how it works. When it cools down if you want a partner for a set or two drop me a PM.

steve243
08-20-2011, 06:31 PM
.308 is kinda over kill isn't it >>>>>>>>>>> :) .243 would be a better round to use ..

CaveNil
08-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks, fr3db3ar.

I guess I'll just have to hit the woods here, and see what happens.

steve243 - It doesn't have to be a beautiful kill. My friend just wants me to waste some of them. A pile of goo is acceptable.

btw, is a hunting license required?

JohnJak
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I have no problem using .308 FMJ target ammo and it will do the job.

fr3db3ar
08-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks, fr3db3ar.

I guess I'll just have to hit the woods here, and see what happens.

steve243 - It doesn't have to be a beautiful kill. My friend just wants me to waste some of them. A pile of goo is acceptable.

btw, is a hunting license required?

small game or fur bearers. I'd still be happy to join you at least once. sometimes extra eyes are an advantage sometime extra noise or movement isn't . I could bring my 308 AR if that would make you feel better :)

DV8r
08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Hahaha you're very funny.

It's the only rifle I have besides a .22.

Seriously, anybody know a good way to shoot a few of these things?
Great excuse/reason to buy another gun.

7.62 Nato
08-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Could be interested in giving it a try, giving you a hand. What are these ".308s" you speak of ? :wink:

westcliffe01
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
A small game license is $15 for MI residents. That way, you are covered regardless of where you shoot them. It may be essential if you want to transport them off the property (skinning). Shooting on private property without the small game license is OK, provided you have something that says that you have the landowners permission. DNR can come onto private property without a warrant, so if your friend is not around and you have no letter giving permission, (and no small game license) it could get sticky. Better and safer to spend the $15.

HBlazer
08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
If the 'yotes are keyed into the spot, then all you need is a couple/few dead rabbits laid out as bait along a decent firing line. Night vision or one of those wide-beam green lasers with scope is a must. Plan on being up all night, because only the sick or feeble coyotes come out during the daytime or dusk.

Make sure you're as scent-free and quiet as possible and try to stay downwind. Your buddy's beagles can smell and hear you from three blocks away. Coyotes can do the same from a mile away.

308 is way too much overkill, but run what ya brung I guess. Essentially, you're shooting at a German Shepherd, so plan accordingly. .22 Magnum works fine if you know what you're doing, and gets you better pelts to boot.

fr3db3ar
08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
only the sick or feeble coyotes come out during the daytime or dusk.

Really?? Sounds like words from an expert coyote hunter :lolup: :protest:

I guess my double @ 9 am were just sick and feeble. The sure seemed able and fit hunters to me. :whistle: :shrugs:

HBlazer
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Really?? Sounds like words from an expert coyote hunter :lolup: :protest:

I guess my double @ 9 am were just sick and feeble. The sure seemed able and fit hunters to me. :whistle: :shrugs:

Good for you, bro. We all have different experiences and methods when it comes to hunting, no matter what the creature is. Thanks for sharing yours.

SlowDog
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
A small game license is $15 for MI residents. That way, you are covered regardless of where you shoot them. It may be essential if you want to transport them off the property (skinning). Shooting on private property without the small game license is OK, provided you have something that says that you have the landowners permission. DNR can come onto private property without a warrant, so if your friend is not around and you have no letter giving permission, (and no small game license) it could get sticky. Better and safer to spend the $15.

DNR do not have the right to come onto private property without a warrant. They must have RAS a crime is being committed. They cannot violate the 4'th amendment rights of someone any more then LEO's can....Just sayin....

kimber man
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a friend who has some land, and he would like me to shoot coyotes on it.

He keeps wild rabbits, so that his beagles can chase them around for training. I don't know anything about coyote hunting at all, but it sounds like it would be fun. I'm a total novice.

I have a semi-automatic rifle in .308. Is this appropriate for hunting coyotes? How do I get started? Do you bait them? When is the season?

Thank you, experts!!!
Have FoxPro will travel! :sniper2:

turbo54
08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I've got a Winchester M70 (push feed) in .220 Swift with heavy stainless barrel for sale if you're interested. This is the mac-daddy of Coyote calibers. PM me if interested.

westcliffe01
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Unless I am mistaken, night hunting of Coyotes is only permissible with a rimfire rifle or shotgun with shot smaller than buckshot. I personally have not been able to figure out if baiting is allowed, the DNR refers only to "firearm may only be loaded when calling". So I think one can forget about the 308's at night...

http://www.michigan.gov/images/dnr/Nighttime_Raccoon_and_Predator_Hunting_table_36144 3_7.jpg

If the 'yotes are keyed into the spot, then all you need is a couple/few dead rabbits laid out as bait along a decent firing line. Night vision or one of those wide-beam green lasers with scope is a must. Plan on being up all night, because only the sick or feeble coyotes come out during the daytime or dusk.

Make sure you're as scent-free and quiet as possible and try to stay downwind. Your buddy's beagles can smell and hear you from three blocks away. Coyotes can do the same from a mile away.

308 is way too much overkill, but run what ya brung I guess. Essentially, you're shooting at a German Shepherd, so plan accordingly. .22 Magnum works fine if you know what you're doing, and gets you better pelts to boot.

westcliffe01
08-24-2011, 05:01 PM
This has been debated to death on other forums and regardless of how you or I may feel about it, the fact is that both DNR and feds can be found on private property without warrants or permission and in some cases may remain there for days if observing activity on neighboring property. I have never heard of anyone having success in obtaining a court order to prohibit access by such officials. We all know that there are many laws that are unconstitutional, but that we are still subjects to.

DNR do not have the right to come onto private property without a warrant. They must have RAS a crime is being committed. They cannot violate the 4'th amendment rights of someone any more then LEO's can....Just sayin....

SlowDog
08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Well we all know they violate the constitution on a regular basis. There was a landmark case here in Michigan some years back where the DNR walked onto private property and ticketed a couple guys, seized guns, vehicles and meat. No I do not know the exact case to cite But I do remember that the DNR were admonished for violating the men's 4'th amendment rights. The men were aquitted. And yes the men acquired large legal bills. But the DNR officer will never do it again.:whistle:

westcliffe01
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
This is one of the threads that was debated by people from all over the US relating their first hand experiences.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/170075-game-wardens-property-rights.html