PDA

View Full Version : deer tracking dog

Xd9sc-doug
08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
I didn't quite know where to post this. I just picked up a new beagle yesterday for blood tracking purposes. Does anyone have any left over deer blood orr something? Maybe steer blood? For training?. Who knows this boy may track a record for ya.. plz and thank u

ranttrmike
08-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Go to your local butcher, the place that cuts and wraps meat for farmers and people who purchase whole cattle. They can help you with steer blood.

Also, while you're there, they may have or can get deer blood from the next car/deer accident that comes in.

Might as well get some pig blood too...just in case he's good you can use him on wild boars.

TomE
08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't want to pee in your Cherrios ,but I think I read in the Hunting rules ,that a dog used in deer retrieval ,can't be a breed that barks or yelps while tracking ,effectively ruling out hounds and beagles .

You might want to check that out ,I may be wrong ,it has happened before ,even this week . But it is better to know than not know.

Venator12
08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/02-10_Tracking_Game_FINAL_1.20_308299_7.pdf

Can't use barking dogs on Public Lands. Okay for private lands. Document above is a good resource.

wadevb1
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Muzzle it and track away..