PDA

View Full Version : U of M?

claybusterAA12
08-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Any gun rights groups or shooting clubs at UM? I know I decided to go to one of the most liberal schools in Michigan, but I figured I'd still ask haha

zigziggityzoo
08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Any gun rights groups or shooting clubs at UM? I know I decided to go to one of the most liberal schools in Michigan, but I figured I'd still ask haha

There used to be a SCCC chapter here but not for a good while.

You're among friends though. There are a couple forum members here that are students, and a couple more who are staff (such as myself).

Welcome.

DRSpaulding
08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
There are GUN OWNERS IN Ann Arbor??????? (hits the floor) Reviving. I used to train in martial arts in A2 and I have NEVER seen a more anti-gun place then A2. I still go there from time to time to visit friends but I avoid going there too often. Im glad you all are there!!! Keep trying to make them see the light.

zigziggityzoo
08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
FWIW I've open carried in Ann Arbor quite often and rarely have issues (Once in the past two years).

DRSpaulding
08-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I open carried there ONE time in 08 and that's all it took for me to stop. The 4 officers that stopped to ask what I was doing were very nice and all but I really didn't appreciate the tone or the looks I was getting. All of them were bladed with hands on their weapons. I also had some of the dirtiest looks ever thrown at me. By the way most people acted, you'd think I just defiled their sister or something.

sse
08-25-2011, 04:38 PM
You could try attending a better university...LOL

http://demmercenter.msu.edu/FirearmsRange/tabid/57/Default.aspx

DRSpaulding
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
:lolup: Where else but Moo U!!!

mini4m3
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I was running the original chapter at UofM.

Then it was taking over by a guy who was more in favor of other groups and never spent time with the SCCC. It eventually fizzled out and we could never find him or anything SCCC at any of the major club events like FestiFall

JimSig
08-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, first welcome to MGO forum..

Second, welcome to Ann Arbor. I am a UofM alumni and I live in Ann Arbor. I shoot at Washtenaw Sportsman Club in Ypsilanti.

I see you are from Saline, I shoot IDPA once a month at TriCounty in Saline. Very nice club as well.

And yes there are gun people in Ann Arbor. I know of three people that I see at the club. Also I recently knew that 2 of my neighbours are gun owners, very comforting.

zigziggityzoo
08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I've got one neighbor who's a retired cop, and one neighbor who's a cop's son. Both avid shooters.

I've also got about a dozen coworkers with CPLs, all working for the U.

For some reason the computer guys like guns...

Wolverine Fan
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Nice to see fellow Alumni on the board. Good luck Claybuster, I expect to see you on the President's list soon!

sakata8242
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
There is a competitive small bore rifle team run by students through UM's club sports department. I've tried to get in contact with them in the past, but they weren't very responsive. They seemed to be more interested in competing at the time, and less so when it came to general firearms rights/education.

Emperfect
09-01-2011, 07:20 AM
U of M employee here and a shooter. My father-in-law works there as well and enjoys shooting. Just no carrying on campus or in the hospital, even OC if I remember correctly. Now the hospital has signs on just about every door stating "NO WEAPONS"

JGant
09-10-2011, 08:39 AM
closest thing to CC in AA is flag burning lessons for those coke head libs...

zigziggityzoo
09-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Or, you know, Concealed carry. Washtenaw County has issued the fourth most CPLs of all counties in the state.

Sgt 45
09-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I think there are more gun owners in AA than you think, just very quiet about it. Speak softly and carry a thunder stick :) or something like that. I will admit that AA is a VERY different place than when I grew up in the 50's and early 60's. Anybody here do any long range shooting? I'd be interested in getting together.

mini4m3
09-10-2011, 07:39 PM

cool story bro

JimSig
09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I think there are more gun owners in AA than you think, just very quiet about it. Speak softly and carry a thunder stick :) or something like that. I will admit that AA is a VERY different place than when I grew up in the 50's and early 60's. Anybody here do any long range shooting? I'd be interested in getting together.

Speak sofly and carry a big stick.. I like that.

Washtenaw Sportsman Club run he 600 yard shoot at the rifle range on Wednesdays afternoon.

I don't shoot rifles but I do shoot pistols (alot) and occasional trap clay. The pistol steel plate shoots at WSC are open to the general public, check out the event calendar at the website. They are on Sundays at 10 am.

Sefner
09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
U of M Student and NRA Instructor here. I live right off Main street. There are more of us here than most people in Ann Arbor would care to admit. If they knew it would scare em. I go to Chelsea Rod and Gun; I've had bad luck with Washtenaw the multiple times I've tried to join, but hopefully you'll have better luck. Chelsea is only about 25 minutes from Ann Arbor and it's a huge breath of fresh air from Ann Arbor.

Anyways, don't worry, there will be fellow survivors if the zombie apocolypse hit Ann Arbor.

BearMBD
09-11-2011, 09:22 AM
i'm not a student but i live in Ypsilanti. i moved from idaho, a big change in gun laws. thanks for the tip for the gun club.

UMich 2011
06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
UofM Alumnus here as well. I tried my hardest, and met one guy from the UP that liked guns. He ended up becoming one of my best friends. We'd cut class on fridays sometimes to hit Cabelas. Man, I dressed in my fair share of camo too, and you should have seen the looks I got from the student body with my giant NRA sticker on my Laptop. They are few and far between at Michigan. I found more girls into guns than guys.

langenc
06-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Dont feel bad about the looks recieved for OCing.

Back some years ago I accompanied a high school band to 2A for a band event. The band went and did their thing so I went up townfor lunch/shopping. I went into a high end outdoors store uptown. This was just after Bush beat Gore-whatever year that was.

Hanging on the rack were several 'Gore tex' jackets. Of course I had to ask
"are you going to change the name of those jackets to BUSHtex??"

Wow-I went and had lunch across the street to the Chinese place.

zachh0523
06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
They should be able to carry

donald150
06-16-2012, 10:53 PM
U of M Student and NRA Instructor here. I live right off Main street. There are more of us here than most people in Ann Arbor would care to admit. If they knew it would scare em. I go to Chelsea Rod and Gun; I've had bad luck with Washtenaw the multiple times I've tried to join, but hopefully you'll have better luck. Chelsea is only about 25 minutes from Ann Arbor and it's a huge breath of fresh air from Ann Arbor.

Anyways, don't worry, there will be fellow survivors if the zombie apocolypse hit Ann Arbor.
I thought it already hit Ann Arbor. :freak:

I spend more time there than I would like for work and it looks to be a decent place however, the circus sideshows could easily recruit some people in that town. I believe there are more Obama bumper stickers in AA than any other city (in Michigan) that I have been to lately.;-)

The one I find most funny is the guy that sits on State and Madison with his hot dog cart. Company name.............."Big Dicks Hot Dogs" applied with mailbox letters from Home Depot. :shrugs:

chi
09-26-2012, 10:23 AM
There are GUN OWNERS IN Ann Arbor??????? (hits the floor) Reviving. I used to train in martial arts in A2 and I have NEVER seen a more anti-gun place then A2. I still go there from time to time to visit friends but I avoid going there too often. Im glad you all are there!!! Keep trying to make them see the light.

i am born and raised in ann arbor and i can tell you there use to be a fine hand crafted shot gun place and there was a ROTC range where i got my first experiences with proper marksmanship. Now there is nothing the closes range is half an hour and i try to get out there but it is a hard town to be an admitted owner, the CPL was a truly a pain in the as but after the 3 month! it finely came through, i know that i am not alone though due to the number of staff for ann arbor and their hour (longer then everyone around them)

fw0270
09-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I work at the U and shoot at the moose club, among other places in MI. Please enjoy your sport and dont worry what A2 thinks. There are great people here that love to shoot and hunt. Have fun

Afelt.tech
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I've got one neighbor who's a retired cop, and one neighbor who's a cop's son. Both avid shooters.

I like this, and it is true...for me at least.

Wolvee
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM

DetroitStyle
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Then why don't your get at that firewall and unblock MGO from the hospital's wifi?! :bounce2:

DetroitStyle
10-10-2012, 08:18 AM
PS I am not far from you... 10 min south in Milan. However, I work afternoons and watch two little ones during the day...so it's tough for me to get out and shoot a lot

zigziggityzoo
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Then why don't your get at that firewall and unblock MGO from the hospital's wifi?! :bounce2:

Trust me, I've asked. Medical Center IT is a strange bunch.

Fortunately, I can use the employee WiFi and can end-around their content filters.

kzoojason76
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Trust me, I've asked. Medical Center IT is a strange bunch.

Hey.. I work for MCIT!! What are you trying to say?? :) :hardhat:

zigziggityzoo
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey.. I work for MCIT!! What are you trying to say?? :) :hardhat:

oh... uhm... :togo:

Sgt 45
10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
OK all you Ann Arborites, there is a new gun store in town! It's out on Jackson Rd just before Zeeb on the North side of the street. A really nice place with a LOT of cool toys and very nice staff. When I was in yesterday, two women were running the place and they will have CPL classes and introductory classes. Shooting will be done at Mill Creek in Dexter.:getsum2:

fw0270
10-10-2012, 02:11 PM
OK all you Ann Arborites, there is a new gun store in town! It's out on Jackson Rd just before Zeeb on the North side of the street. A really nice place with a LOT of cool toys and very nice staff. When I was in yesterday, two women were running the place and they will have CPL classes and introductory classes. Shooting will be done at Mill Creek in Dexter.:getsum2:

We know, but Im sure everyone thanks you for the info just the same.

wronghand
12-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I see someone mentioned 600 yd. range at Washtenaw. That shooting only goes on during daylight savings, so it is over for the year. It will start up again in March or April. They do have pin or plate shoots most Sundays they have added a dueling tree on the pistol range. You know A2 does not have the nick-names of " peoples republic of ann arbor or moscow on the huron " for nothing. Keep On !

Derekd403
10-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I work for the U (the hospital) and a NCRC. I know the are big time no-guns, but I'm ashamed to admit it has me worried to even carry when I'm going around town there. Seems like its too much of a hassle, but I could be wrong!?!