PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scouts Get Approval To Shoot BB Guns

Knimrod
04-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Boy Scouts Get Approval To Shoot BB Guns
Eastpointe City Council Lifted Ban Of BB Guns At Local Park
April 24, 2006
WDIV TV

Boy Scouts were granted permission to shoot BB guns and blunt-tip arrows at a local park.

With the supervision of adult leaders and a National Rifle Association Instructor, Boy Scouts of America, some as young as first-graders, can shoot at various paper targets as part of a day camp in June, according to the Macomb Daily.

Eastpointe's risk manager opposed the idea and asked City Council to reject the proposal. The council approved temporarily lifting an ordinance banning BB guns and archery equipment in local parks for the camp.

City and police officials attended a Boy Scouts demonstration of the equipment and agreed there were enough safeguards to follow through with the event, according to the paper's reports.

Boy Scout Director Rick Williams said the reason for the scouts to shoot the guns and arrows is to build self-esteem and respect for weapons.

Link to story (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/8958901/detail.html)

cliffd
04-26-2006, 08:50 AM
This is excellent news and will allow them to offer a complete and unforgettable experience for those boys.

I attended National Camp School recently and was talking with another Camp Director from Illinois. They do not have their own camp property and they too must use local parks for their day camps. She was really upset that they could not offer the shooting sports program because of the laws in the Chicago area. Last year they actually resorted to using NERF bows and arrows and could not use ANY sort of play firearm to replace the BB guns. They had thought about using marshmallow shooters but were denied for several reasons.

Thankfully, we have a little more reason in our government ranks as evidenced by this decision in Eastpoint.

Have fun, Scouts!!!

P.S. This decision does not affect me or my camp directly. I am lucky enough to be in the Clinton Valley Council and we have a wonderful facility at Camp Agawam.

Kimber45
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Livingston Gun Club in Brighton is hosting a group of Cub Scouts in a program that will allow them to earn thier "belt loops" in shooting.

It's a dam# shame that we're becoming so risk managemnet concious that we're afraid to let a group of scouts shoot BB guns.

taurus92
04-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Glad to hear this now if only the scouts could go on to teach the DEA undercover agents a few things.

Hey maybe the agent was from chicago....

I am glad the scouts in my area use our range clubhouse as there meeting area. Seems us rural folks sill have the right idea on a proper way of life.

SPIKE
04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
This is good news.
I am also sure this is a Cub Scout summer camp venue. Boy Scouts have shooting sports at summer camps.
In Boy Scouts we shoot 22's, 12ga, 20ga. and bow and arrows. We (Troop 1699 Franklin Mi.)" do a "Shooting Sports" weekend every year on our own.
I have been active in Scout shooting programs for 6 years now and it is a very great opportunity for all the boys.
Even amongst the hand-wringing, teeth gnashing soccer moms these are the
best attended events of the year. We have converted a nuimber of non shooting parents.

Firearm Safety is instilled in the boys from first grade and it is repeated every year we shoot. It is very gratifying to see them enjoy the sport safely..
Mike

sprink
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Glad to hear that Spike! I have been a scout dad for about 10 years between the two boys. Without a doubt, the BB-Gun and Archery ranges are the highlight for the little ones, and when we walked past the rifle and shotgun ranges all the kids wanted to come back when they were old enough.

I haven't brought firearms up with my current "wolf cub" 's group yet. Went over like the Hindenburg with the older boy's group.

My wife is bringing one of our resident firearms instructors to do a class on Self Defense for the Girl Scouts. Not necessarily firearms, but they are not excluded. (Thanks Fiddler!)

SPIKE
04-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Sprink,
If you ever need any help let me know. I am teaching shotgun merit badge
next week. Detroit Area Council will sometimes bring in a NRA training counselor to certify dads as Rifle/Shotgun Instructors. It's worth asking your council to do. BSA will then certify you to teach at their camps.
Boy Scouting is a great thing for a kid to do. Mike

sprink
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Mike. Scouting is a great thing.

Mike Kelly
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Are they in need of instructors or RSO types??

cliffd
05-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Are they in need of instructors or RSO types??

Generally speaking, thre is ALWAYS a need for qualified volunteers. I am currently staffing a camp in Oakland County for July 18-20. Our theme is Colonial Days 1776 and anyone that has theme related apparel, props, etc and/or may be interested in volunteering for this week or others this summer can contact me at your convenience. (FYI, the camp is actually Tue-Thu and not a full 5 day week)

Shoot me an email at Ponman (at) MichiganWildlife.com

Thanks!!!

Cliff

SPIKE
05-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Mike Kelly
Scouting is always accepting applications for Adult leaders. Find your local Scout troop and sign up as a volunteer. You will have fun.

MikeyB
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Find your local Scout troop and sign up as a volunteer. You will have fun.

Honestly, It's a blast (no pun intended). I was an adult leader (Troop 1491) for 4 years. Even though my boys are no longer scouts, I occasionally go on weekend outings as the designated "chef" and love every minute of it.