PDA

View Full Version : 5.56/.22LR SUPPRESSOR

Dansjeep2000
09-06-2011, 07:06 AM
I am looking for a user serviceable 5.56 suppressor, any ideas who to look at? I wish the Silencerco Sparrow came in 5.56.

Dansjeep2000
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Nobody? I thought for sure tons of people on here would be looking for this same set up.

rjrivero
09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Maybe if we had a suppressor section it would be easier to keep up with the new suppressor questions?

The Tac16 (http://www.tacticalinc.com/tac16-ar15-m16br-556mm-suppressor-p-44.html) is the one I hear about the most that fits this bill.

It's OVERKILL for .22LR to say the least. A .22LR can is like 1" around and maybe 5" overall. Putting on a .223 can is just HUGE in comparison.

But I completely understand WHY this class of suppressor has been sought after. $200 Transfer Tax makes it really attractive to have a ONE SIZE DOES MOST kind of suppressor.

Tactical Innovations makes some nice suppressors. They aren't make of exotic materials, and are a bit heavier than the high-speed low drag titanium other manufacturers use, but their stuff works well, and is made well. (Just my humble opinion.)

rjrivero
09-06-2011, 03:46 PM
One other consideration is the "Wind Talker" from Smith Enterprises. It is also user-serviceable. If you want, you can even get their 30cal can and use it for 308, 223, 22lr. This one, however is even MORE HUGE for .22lr. Not to mention, it's much more expensive. ;)

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products11.html

Tom S.
09-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. Maybe if we had a suppressor section it would be easier to keep up with the new suppressor questions?

The Tac16 (http://www.tacticalinc.com/tac16-ar15-m16br-556mm-suppressor-p-44.html) is the one I hear about the most that fits this bill.

It's OVERKILL for .22LR to say the least. A .22LR can is like 1" around and maybe 5" overall. Putting on a .223 can is just HUGE in comparison.

But I completely understand WHY this class of suppressor has been sought after. $200 Transfer Tax makes it really attractive to have a ONE SIZE DOES MOST kind of suppressor.

Tactical Innovations makes some nice suppressors. They aren't make of exotic materials, and are a bit heavier than the high-speed low drag titanium other manufacturers use, but their stuff works well, and is made well. (Just my humble opinion.)

From TAC's website:

"Since .22LR ammunition of any configuration should never be shot through the TAC16 suppressor, it should not be necessary to disassemble the suppressor for cleaning."

MIsparkz
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Take what I saw as hearsay b/c before last Fri I never let myself get interested in suppressors. Since then I have been reading and learning a lot. Most manufactures recommend never cleaning your centerfire suppressor. One had mentioned if you insist on cleaning it to use either an ultra sonic cleaner or a vinegar recipe. They claim they're actually louder when new/clean and will quite down after they dirty up.
They recommend you don't use a centerfire suppressor on a rimfire. The rimfire rounds tend to fill them with lead and ?wax?.
I haven't researched the rimfire suppressors yet but would have to assume from what I found on the centerfire research that if you got a rimfire suppressor you would definitely want to be able to service/clean it yourself.
I'm just started learning suppressors so if you find any other good sites or posts that give a lot of info let me now.

rjrivero
09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
From TAC's website:

"Since .22LR ammunition of any configuration should never be shot through the TAC16 suppressor, it should not be necessary to disassemble the suppressor for cleaning."
Yeah..... That's the party line alright.

rjrivero
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Take what I saw as hearsay b/c before last Fri I never let myself get interested in suppressors. Since then I have been reading and learning a lot. Most manufactures recommend never cleaning your centerfire suppressor. One had mentioned if you insist on cleaning it to use either an ultra sonic cleaner or a vinegar recipe. They claim they're actually louder when new/clean and will quite down after they dirty up.
They recommend you don't use a centerfire suppressor on a rimfire. The rimfire rounds tend to fill them with lead and ?wax?. I haven't researched the rimfire suppressors yet but would have to assume from what I found on the centerfire research that if you got a rimfire suppressor you would definitely want to be able to service/clean it yourself.
I'm just started learning suppressors so if you find any other good sites or posts that give a lot of info let me now.
Just make sure you clean with any chemicals that don't damage the suppressor. Generally Titanium and Stainless can handle caustic chemicals, but aluminum doesn't do so well with acids/bases.
Don't believe everything you read. If getting dirt in your suppressor makes it quieter, then why do you need any volume for controlled gas expansion at all? John Titsworth did a nice write up on his Trident-9 showing all the build up that accumulated after thousands of rounds of FMJ 9mm. It was definately LOUDER when DIRTY.

Which is why any suppressor that is used on 22LR needs to be cleaned periodically.

HVYMTLMEC
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Bit off topic but I recently signed up with Indiana gun owners INGO. They have a full section dedicated to NFA items and it has a wealth of information on all the fun toys and the trials and tribulations that it takes to obtain them.