PDA

View Full Version : Can advice from the experts

HVYMTLMEC
09-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Starting this thread for folks that have used, owned, purchased suppressors before. Would like to get their input as well as insight to the use care and maintenance of these items.

RECON762WT
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a good amount of use on knights armament cans for 5.56/308. They work well.

Have also fam fired cans from AAC and Surefire. Both seem good to go.

I plan on purchasing two cans a:
AAC 7.62SDN-6
Silencer Co. 22lr Sparrow

The first thing I looked at was quality and both companies seem good.

After that my biggest concern was interchangeability. The 7.62 can will cover my 308's and 5.56's and everything in-between. All you have to do is buy the different quick disconnects that range from $80ish-$125ish. You might gain a decibel by shooting a .30 can with 5.56 but the difference isn't noticeable to the user. From my experience rifle cans really don't need to be cleaned because of the jacketed ammo, but i have herd they could need cleaning if there is a very (in the tens of thousands) high round count through them.

I went with the sparrow because it has the most user friendly matinance system. I can see my self using this suppressor the most (thousands of rounds per year) and don't mind throwing down the extra few hundred to buy the top of the line 22lr suppressor. Unlike most of my firearm purchases I can see my self owning a suppressor long term so I don't mind spending more upfront.

Not really that big on getting a center fire pistol caliber suppressor yet. I just wouldn't get any use out of it.

Rifles I plan on suppressing with the 7.62 can:
Remington 700 308
Ruger Gunsight Scout Rifle
5.56 SPR
5.56 M4ish rifle

Rifles/Pistols I plan on suppressing with the 22lr can
Ruger 22/45
Sig Mosquito
Glock 22lr conversion
Blot action 22lr (TBD pending research)
Marlin Pappose

(Edit: I don't consider myself to be an expert when it comes to cans.)

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Not much in the way of maintenance for centerfire cans. I recommend stainless baffle stacks and user take-apart features for a .22LR can.

I've had a number of cans from SWR (Silencerco of Sparrow fame recently purchased SWR) and have been very happy with the quality. AAC and Surefire have also proven excellent. I'm not a hater, but GemTech seem to have not kept up as much with the innovation.

Jake