PDA

View Full Version : Best Suppressor for a full auto 45ACP?

mini4m3
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Does any one have experience with suppressing full auto 45ACP? I think I'm going to look around and ask over at uzi talk but just curious.

My concerns are longevity and price - how to find a good medium between the two.

shadow120
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
no first hand experince but from what ive read i would go with the silencerco osprey at about $850

GarrettJ
09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
no first hand experince but from what ive read i would go with the silencerco osprey at about $850
For full-auto you want a lot of internal volume. The Ospray was designed as a pistol can and therefore has some size and weight limitations. I've found the smaller, more efficient cans can give you a lot of gas blowback on a subgun.

To the OP, what gun do you plan on using this on?

mini4m3
09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
For full-auto you want a lot of internal volume. The Ospray was designed as a pistol can and therefore has some size and weight limitations. I've found the smaller, more efficient cans can give you a lot of gas blowback on a subgun.

To the OP, what gun do you plan on using this on?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tDPw81-h2VY/TZEABInR3PI/AAAAAAAAAUo/lzpIYECrmfc/s720/IMG_0448.jpg

M10

rjrivero
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Does any one have experience with suppressing full auto 45ACP? I think I'm going to look around and ask over at uzi talk but just curious.

My concerns are longevity and price - how to find a good medium between the two.
Ignore me. I misread the caliber requirement.

GarrettJ
09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
M10
That's probably one of the more common first machine guns for a lot of people - me included. You find out really quickly that you need something to hang on to up front. A suppressor is the natural choice. It also makes the gun much more controllable.

I have a Bowers CAC-45 (http://www.subguns.org/products/cans/SMG/) that I bought 10 or 12 years ago shortly after buying my MAC10. There have been a couple of improvements made since I bought mine. First, the baffle stack has been totally redesigned. There is a very noticeable improvement with the newer baffle stack than with the original set. Second, the mount for the MAC barrel has been changed to an interchangeable mounting system. This makes the can much more flexible. Any of these manufactured in the past 2 or 3 years will have these upgrades incorporated. I have used mine on 6 or 8 different guns in .45 ACP, .44 Mag, .44 Spl., 9mm, .38 Spl, .300 Whisper, .22LR and maybe a couple of others I'm not thinking of. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this can.

The Coastal MIMS is a similar large-volume can with interchangeable mounts. I think Thompson Machine makes a similar one as well. I don't have any experience with either of these though.

Other excellent choices are the AWC MK9, or the GemTech MK9k. They are some of the very best large-volume subgun cans out there, but they're not small either.

I was really impressed when I heard the GemTech Viper on a MAC10/45. It sounded much better than my Bowers can when it had the 1st generation baffle stack. I also like how it incorporates a can locking system (more on that in a bit) and a heat shield. I also like how it has the classic 2-stage look.

The biggest issue with MAC cans is the coarse threads used on the MAC barrels. They are easy to get on, and nearly impossible to cross-thread. However, they loosen easily and when they loosen the least amount, the can becomes misaligned. Here's what my last baffle and end cap looked like before I had the guts upgraded. They've been hit multiple times. I suppose I'm lucky I didn't launch the endcap downrange.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/DSC02034.jpg

You really need a mechanical locking mechanism (like on the Viper) or you need a can cover that allows you to physically hold the can in place with your off-hand. You need somewhere to hang on to anyway, and any can will heat up rapidly, so holding an uncovered can really isn't an option.

I've got a discontinued one made of leather and nomex.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/ISSMC2004cropped040.jpg

The other solution (and one that I highly recommend) is to do away with the coarse MAC threads completely. You can get the end of your barrel threaded with a fine thread pitch and you are much better off. You are less likely to have your can loosen, and if it does, it has a much better chance of staying well enough within alignment. Here's an example of a pair of M11/9 barrels with and without the end of the barrel threaded. This option still leaves the MAC threads available as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/100_5123.jpg

I would offer to meet up some time and let you try my can out on your gun (I sold my MAC10 a few years ago), but I don't have the MAC thread mount for it. I don't even have a .45 to use it with any more. But it works very well on a number of other calibers, as I mentioned already.

mini4m3
09-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Interesting, I hear a lot of internet fuss about the Gemtechs sucking but it appears you've had a good go with it.

I'm just looking to pick up a moderately price, yet effective can for the m10. Nothing special, just something that works relatively well.

GarrettJ
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Interesting, I hear a lot of internet fuss about the Gemtechs sucking but it appears you've had a good go with it.

I'm just looking to pick up a moderately price, yet effective can for the m10. Nothing special, just something that works relatively well.
There seem to be a lot of AAC fanboys, and several of them got on an anti-Gemtech kick a few years ago. I try to look past the drama. Both are good companies and both make great products. While I don't own any Gemtech stuff, I've played with several of them and they have all been very favorable.

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 11:46 AM
GarrettJ,

That is an excellent post. I agree with going with a better thread pitch for mounting on the MAC guns.

For my money, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Bowers CAC45. It is a great can and you can't beat the customer service. The "griptastic" can cover is very nice, too. It's made of hi-temp silicone. One of the cool features of the CAC series of cans is the multiple mounts that you can swap in and out.

Contact me if you'd like more info on the Bowers cans.

Jake Mackenzie, FFL/SOT
734-391-5833

http://www.subguns.org/products/cans/CAC45.jpg