PDA

View Full Version : please re-name this section properly

forrest0872
09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Now that the AG opinion is out and SUPPRESSORS are now lawful for possesion / ownership here in MI. There will be a surge of new NFA owners, and also many new members here @ MGO. I think that it would be a good idea to use the proper terminology of suppressor and not silencer, especially to educate new members and to help dispell the old hollywood myth about evil assasin silencers. Suppressors, suppress the auditory report of gunfire, suppressors do not silence gunshots.

thank you, that is all.

forrest -

aresbykes
09-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Legally it's a silencer if I'm not mistaken.....

The "politically correct" term is suppressor, not the legal term.

forrest0872
09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Legally it's a silencer if I'm not mistaken.....

The "politically correct" term is suppressor, not the legal term.

:slap: wrong.

dougwg
09-08-2011, 08:40 AM
+1
suppressor

karcent
09-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Suppressor is the correct term.
"Silencer" is TV, movie and spy novel lingo.

Wolvee
09-08-2011, 09:03 AM
but but but, that's where I get all my gun knowledge! :peace:

Shyster
09-08-2011, 09:14 AM
The BATFE refers to them as "mufflers or silencers" and most people refer to them as silencers. MGO is searchable on Google and people are more likely to search for silencer info than suppressor info.

Leave the name alone. Everyone knows what we are talking about.

Tom M
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
The instructions for 5320.4, under 1. (c) - Definitions, reference "a muffler or silencer". Which section of the USC uses the term "suppressor"?

dougwg
09-08-2011, 09:23 AM
how bout...

Silencer/Suppressor

Leader
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
how bout...

Silencer/Suppressor

How about "muffler or silencer" ???

Shyster
09-08-2011, 09:29 AM
How about

GET BACK TO WORK AND QUIT NITPICKING!

just sayin'...

Leader
09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
You mean you think some of the people here would steal from there employers and surf the internet on company time??????

Say it isn't so.....

Tom M
09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
How about

just sayin'...

I'm retired. Picking nits is now my full time occupation! :biggrin:

dougwg
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
How about

just sayin'...
I'm sitting here at home drinking coffee. I'm the boss and I'll tell myself when to get to work.

left last night at 12:09am :sleeping:

ka64
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Suppressor is the correct term.
"Silencer" is TV, movie and spy novel lingo.

Are you sure?

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx155/ukrany1/Pics%20and%20Vids/SilencerAd.jpg

GarrettJ
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
As KA64 points out, H. P. Maxim marketed them as "silencers". I use both terms interchangeably and don't get worked up about it when someone uses one vs the other.

But then I'm not one of those who get their panties on a wad over the terms "clip" vs "magazine" either.

mini4m3
09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Are you sure?

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx155/ukrany1/Pics%20and%20Vids/SilencerAd.jpg

Maxim new what he was doing. The term silencer was a marketing ploy to drive sales. Not surprising coming from the man who was told to make money by inventing something that would allow Europeans to kill each other more efficiently.

:whacko:

GarrettJ
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Maxim new what he was doing. The term silencer was a marketing ploy to drive sales. Not surprising coming from the man who was told to make money by inventing something that would allow Europeans to kill each other more efficiently.
Wrong Maxim. You're thinking the inventor of the Maxim machine gun. Hyrum P. Maxim was the silencer guy and was (I believe) the nephew of H. (Machine gun) Maxim.

mini4m3
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Wrong Maxim. You're thinking the inventor of the Maxim machine gun. Hyrum P. Maxim was the silencer guy and was (I believe) the nephew of H. (Machine gun) Maxim.

I'll be darned. Both of them are Hiram Maxim. Silencer guy is Hiram P. the Machine gun guy is Hiram S.

I always just chalked it up to the same person. :bdaysmile:

forrest0872
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
OK,OK......

I understand that more people will get the needed info either way, carry on.

dougwg
09-09-2011, 05:52 AM
OK,OK......

I understand that more people will get the needed info either way, carry on.
Quitter!

karcent
09-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure.
Cool old ad, but regardless of what it says and even how the ATF references them, the proper term is "suppressor".
They do not silence anything.

tote'ngranny
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
How about "muffler or silencer" ???
*muffler* will bring up Midas .. Tuffy ...

Stick with silencer/suppressor

rjrivero
09-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Yes, I'm sure.
Cool old ad, but regardless of what it says and even how the ATF references them, the proper term is "suppressor".
They do not silence anything.
It's been asked before, please cite a reference where "suppressor" is referenced in any federal law.

The legal definition is "silencer." All of my form 4's say "silencer." Though I understand that "suppressor" is a more accurate description of the device, legally, they're still "silencers."

(24) The terms ``firearm silencer'' and ``firearm muffler'' mean any
device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable
firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and
intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or
firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or
fabrication.

Roundballer
09-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Just my :twocents:, I think that we should use the proper language.

If there is a concern about Google being able to find it, then there should be a word or two added to this line:

<meta name="keywords" content="please re-name this section properly, concealed weapons, gun, guns, Michigan, responsible, gun owners, ccw, concealed carry, cpl, forum, bbs, discussion, bulletin board, message board, gun rights, 2nd amendment, pro gun, firearms, rkba, hunting, archery, target, firearm, rifle, pistol, handgun, ammunition, bullets" />

That is what that line in the page code is there for.

I am also one that will make sure that a person that uses the word "clip" is actually talking about "clips" and not magazines. I also have instructed a few people about the difference between "bullets" and "cartridges". But that is just me, and it can be done without being obnoxious.

Leader
09-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Just my :twocents:, I think that we should use the proper language.

If there is a concern about Google being able to find it, then there should be a word or two added to this line:

<meta name="keywords" content="please re-name this section properly, concealed weapons, gun, guns, Michigan, responsible, gun owners, ccw, concealed carry, cpl, forum, bbs, discussion, bulletin board, message board, gun rights, 2nd amendment, pro gun, firearms, rkba, hunting, archery, target, firearm, rifle, pistol, handgun, ammunition, bullets" />

That is what that line in the page code is there for.

I am also one that will make sure that a person that uses the word "clip" is actually talking about "clips" and not magazines. I also have instructed a few people about the difference between "bullets" and "cartridges". But that is just me, and it can be done without being obnoxious.

No it can't....

Roundballer
09-10-2011, 06:08 PM
No it can't....
Your opinion.......

GarrettJ
09-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Why? Is it "proper" just because you say so? Get over it.

Next you will be telling us that "machine gun" is not a correct term. After all, a firearm that shoots automatically more than one projectile is not any more a "machine" than a semi-auto or even a single-shot firearm.

Also, call up your local power utility. They may have "stack silencers" in their vent piping. I've never heard them referred to as "stack suppressors" or "not-so-loudenators", or any other term you might deem as "more correct".

Parker Hale built silencers at the same time as Maxim (and for all I know, never stopped. I believe they are located in England). They also called them "silencers or sound moderators".
http://www.sodcity.com/gallery2/albums/Cartridge-Springfield-pictures-etc/1933_English_Parker_Hale_catalog.jpg

USP45T
09-10-2011, 07:51 PM
How about we call them "cans" and you ladies can get on to whining about other absolutely worthless sh@t. And when you post your b@tch-ass replies to my post, I won't give a sh@t because I'll be out shooting while you change your tampon, sit in your chair, get your 10,000th post and show everyone that you're a bonafide gun guru. I need another beer....

hahahahaha

rjrivero
09-10-2011, 08:19 PM
How about we call them "cans" and you ladies can get on to whining about other absolutely worthless sh@t. And when you post your b@tch-ass replies to my post, I won't give a sh@t because I'll be out shooting while you change your tampon, sit in your chair, get your 10,000th post and show everyone that you're a bonafide gun guru. I need another beer....

hahahahaha
Worthless? The history of firearms, and the laws that have become part of our reality is pretty important to me. It SHOULD be important to everyone who cherishes their 2nd Amendment right.

You must have a clear vision of where we've been, as well as where you want to be in order to know if you're making progress at any given point along the way.

kevins_garage
09-11-2011, 08:33 AM
And people say I'm annoying... I'm glad I'll have this thread to refer them to so they can see that there are plenty of gun folks that are just as annoying or even more annoying than me...

Shyster
09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
This thread has ran its useful course.

Thanks for playing everyone!

Closed by mod.