PDA

View Full Version : Consider FRP with Suppressors

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Hello,

This seems to be an issue with some of the .22LR cans I've shot, but consider FRP (first round pop) when looking at cans. I've got a Thompson machine can that has a noticeably louder first round when compared to my SWR Spectre. The Silencerco Sparrow also is reported to have a significant FRP. Something else to think about...ughh, right?

Jake

97cav
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
what numbers do you feel that are more important, at the muzzle or at the ear?

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Really, I'd take an average. There just aren't that many reports out there. I'm partial to the ones at silencerforum.com because I trust the person doing the testing (Byron) and they are free.

That being said, the temperature, type of host (firearm), type of ammo and the price of beans in China (joking) will all affect sound metering. Read the sticky here for some good information:

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?608-SOUND-TESTING-EQUIPMENT-PROCEDURES-amp-METHODOLOGY

Suppressors are difficult to compare because of the paucity of reliable information, the many different features available, and the angst associated with the heavy $200 federal tax that makes it pricey to change your mind later.

Jake (FFL/SOT)

CJFirefly
09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
So is FRP only an issue on the first round after a cleaning, the first round before it warms up, or something else?

maustin195
09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
So is FRP only an issue on the first round after a cleaning, the first round before it warms up, or something else?

I have seen FRP explained as the first round fired is louder because the supressor has oxygen in it to continue burning the powder after the barrel. The following shots are quiter because the supressor is filled with inert gas.

PaulB84
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I have seen FRP explained as the first round fired is louder because the supressor has oxygen in it to continue burning the powder after the barrel. The following shots are quiter because the supressor is filled with inert gas.

seems like that could be solved with a quick puff of CO2, argon, nitrogen, or any other readily available inert gas prior to installation.....if you REALLY care about FRP :grin:

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 09:53 PM

First round before it warms up in my experience. I've heard that the cause of FRP is the gas currently in the can.

Jake

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 09:54 PM
seems like that could be solved with a quick puff of CO2, argon, nitrogen, or any other readily available inert gas prior to installation.....if you REALLY care about FRP :grin:

Squirting water into the can is probably easier. The real point, if you can get a can that doesn't have FRP, why not?

Jake

rjrivero
09-08-2011, 09:56 PM
a puff of smoke off a cigarette takes care of FRP.

FRP doesn't make much of a difference to me, personally.

PaulB84
09-08-2011, 10:28 PM
a puff of smoke off a cigarette takes care of FRP.

FRP doesn't make much of a difference to me, personally.

not often you can come up with a reason to smoke! :score:

rjrivero
09-08-2011, 11:11 PM
not often you can come up with a reason to smoke! :score:
Given enough time.....we'll figure out something! ;)