PDA

View Full Version : machinging pistol for can

ltdave
09-08-2011, 06:07 PM
ive read in one of the latest threads about the thread diameter/pitch for some of the suppressors and i was curious about their mounting procedures...

ive got a couple of ruger 22/45s with bull barrels that im thinking one should become a dedicated quiet pistol...

ive got access to machining tools and equipment and am thinking, if its just a matter of having the proper threaded muzzle, i could turn down the end to the proper diameter and then run a die over it for the can to screw onto...

am i thinking in the right direction or do these things mount some entirely differently manner, of which im not aware of?

Tyler
09-08-2011, 06:33 PM
The big challenge is making sure the threads are square to the muzzle and the bore is in line with the suppressor.

ltdave
09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
not an issue on cnc equipment with the talented guys i know...

Tyler
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
As far as I know, that is all you need to do, but I would get the answer from somebody who has ACTUALLY done it. I know of people who have, but I have no knowledge of machining.

dougwg
09-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Do NOT use a die for a suppressor.

Only single point thread.

Dansjeep2000
09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Doug, will you be offering this service in the future?

jebates
09-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I have been a machinist for 32 years. I would say the best way to cut the thread is to chase the thread with a single point tool. The setup is the hard part. Use a close fitting straight arbor and a face compression nut with a center in the arbor or go off a tapered arbor with .0005 to .001 taper. DO NOT use a die. Thread grinding is another option. The whole thing is to keep the thread and the barrel ID concentric and in line with a nice fit to the can. Since most auto guns do not have an extended barrel just buy one with the thread. Save the time and money.

dougwg
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Doug, will you be offering this service in the future?
probably

ltdave
09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Jebates, thanks for the info. Good to pass on to my guy...

On the Ruger 22s though the barrel and receiver are all one piece. Can't buy just another barrel without buying a whole mother gun. I don't need ANOTHER. 22 auto pistol....

Joeywhat
09-09-2011, 03:10 AM
probably

I have a .22 bolt gun waiting for you now.............it needs thread for the happy stick it's soon to receive.