PDA

View Full Version : Is full auto legal in MI?

noob5,000,000
09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I always assumed that FA weapons weren't allowed in MI (other than class 3 dealer samples), but some things I've read lately make it sound like FA isn't prohibited like SBRs and [formerly] suppressors. Can a MI resident own a legal FA firearm (pre-86, NFA registration, etc)?

Fuel Fire Desire
09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes.

pgaplayerless
09-08-2011, 09:31 PM
I hope so, otherwise I'm in trouble! :lol:

noob5,000,000
09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Good to know. :mg:

EDIT: The title of this forum should have been my first clue :lol:.

Sheridanarmsllc
09-08-2011, 09:44 PM
We've been a class three dealer for 10 years in Michigan, and full auto has be legal for the last 5 years. This includes transferrable and C&R machine guns for anyone who DOESNT have an FFL.

As of Friday, Suppressors or Silencers are now legal.

SBR's and SBS's are still not legal for civilian ownership

Phil

jmacken37
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Phil is correct. It is (and has been) legal to have full auto guns in MI. They have to be guns that are considered "transferrable" for regular citizens to possess.

Jake

CS1027
09-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Phil is correct. It is (and has been) legal to have full auto guns in MI. They have to be guns that are considered "transferrable" for regular citizens

Ok...what is sbr's, sbs's, nfa? What in the world does "transferrable for regular citizens" mean?

Kind of really new to this legislation and not familiar with the lingo. Thanks!

Too Tall
09-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Ok...what is sbr's, sbs's, nfa?

Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, National Firearms Act.

I have no idea about "transferable".

SteakNEggs
09-10-2011, 08:29 AM
From MCRGO:

Q: I heard that Michigan law on owning and possessing machine guns changed recently. Can a Michigan resident own a machine gun now?

A: What you heard about is a recent Attorney General Opinion (#7183) issued in December of 2005. It reversed and superceded an earlier, longstanding Attorney General Opinion (#5210 1977-78). Both opinions interpret MCL 750.224 which prohibits possession of machine guns except for those “licensed” to possess them. The old Attorney General Opinion reached the conclusion that a private citizen could not possess a machine gun because Michigan does not have any provisions for licensing them. The new Attorney General Opinion states that the Federal approval process for ownership and transfer of machine guns is a “license” under the statute and therefore, a Michigan resident can possess a machine gun as long as it is lawfully possessed under federal law. Generally, this means the machine gun was properly registered before May 19, 1986 and was lawfully possessed on that date or lawfully transferred after that date.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10259.htm

jmacken37
09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Firearms can generally be placed into three categories:

1) Fully transferrable (imported before a ban 1968 and manufactured before another ban in 1986). These can be transferred to a regular citizen where local/state laws permit.

2) Pre-dealer samples. These guns (or suppressors) were generally imported after 1968 and manufactured before 1986. These guns can be transferred among dealers without a "law letter" (a letter from a chief law enforcement requesting a demonstration of a firearm that can be difficult to acquire) and can be kept in personal inventory after a dealer stops paying the SOT (special occupation tax, an annual $500 tax placed on dealers and others to be able to deal in "class III").

3) Post-samples. These are guns that are imported and/or manufactured after 1986. These require a "law letter" to be transferred to a dealer and can't be possessed by a dealer or manufacturer (generally) without a paid SOT.

Clear as mud, right!

Jake