PDA

View Full Version : After-market suppressor modifications

5alarm435
09-09-2011, 09:16 AM
I was wondering what the consensus is on which part of a suppressor is legally considered the transferable component of a suppressor.

If they're treated like firearms where just the serialized component is the suppressor, could a market for baffles emerge so that with a quick baffle swap one could convert the suppressor for his .308 into one that will work for his .223?

In my head, what I'm saying seems clear, but what I mean is the same way one can have multiple AR15 uppers for a single AR15 lower, would it be possible to have different sets of baffles to make the same suppressor body work with multiple-calibered firearms?

RECON762WT
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I was wondering what the consensus is on which part of a suppressor is legally considered the transferable component of a suppressor. I guess it depends on the manufacturing process.

If they're treated like firearms where just the serialized component is the suppressor, could a market for baffles emerge so that with a quick baffle swap one could convert the suppressor for his .308 into one that will work for his .223? A 308 can will already work on a 5.56, a smaller projectile will exit a 30 cal can.

In my head, what I'm saying seems clear, but what I mean is the same way one can have multiple AR15 uppers for a single AR15 lower, would it be possible to have different sets of baffles to make the same suppressor body work with multiple-calibered firearms? Yes. I am not 100% sure on this but I think suppressor manufactures are making some cans now that have some sort of addapter that allows you to switch between 45/40/9mm (See Sliencerco cans)

There are manufactures out there that make 308 cans that fit 5.56/6.5/6.8/etc. You just have to buy the different quick disconnect mounts for the host rifles. (See: AAC 7.62 SD & 7.62SD-N-6 /// YHM 7.62QD & Ti7.62QD

dougwg
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Suppressors ...ATF I think hates them.

They consider baffles a "suppressor" also....each and every one of them.
Their thinking is very warped.

But all they can collect the $200 on is the serialized part.

That being said, you can use a .308 suppressor with a .223 and they are still very effective.

BlueWing
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
As stated above, as long as the suppressor is large enough for the caliber it will work just as good on a smaller size caliber.
Here is what you need to know about suppressors. The ones that are made for pistols are made for lower speeds of pistol bullets and pressures.
Rifle Suppressors are made for higher pressures and faster bullet speeds, like your .308. Then your expensive suppressors are made for high speed large caliber rifle bullets, like the 300 Win mag..
If you shot a .308 in a pistol suppressor you would blow it out within a few shots. Same is true if your suppressor is made for a .308 and you started shooting a 300 Rem ultra mag through it.
If you do your home work you really only need two suppressors. One for your pistols and the other for your rifles.
There are a bunch of companies that make quick disconnects for some of the models of suppressor they make. Then you just shove it on and give it a quick twist and your set to go without having to screw it on and off and worry about different threads.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

harley2003rkc
09-10-2011, 11:32 PM
What about these companies that make your suppressor serviceable?

maustin195
09-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I was reading on the Silerncerco web site that they put the serial number on the smallest part. This is the piece that threads to the barrel so if you damage the unit they can replace the parts without a new tax stamp.

rjrivero
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
What about these companies that make your suppressor serviceable?
As long as you don't have extra parts laying around once you re-assemble it, you're fine.