PDA

View Full Version : Old Suppressors?

Rootsy
09-09-2011, 10:24 AM
What became of pre-NFA act suppressors? Are they transferable if one is come across? Are they transferable if one was never "registered" or do they fall into the machine gun registry scheme?

Just wondering about alternatives to buying brand new.

harley2003rkc
09-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Good quection, were suppressors legal in MI prior to the 86 ban.

BOSS302
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
The NFA is from 1934. In 1986 they only closed the machine gun registry. I've heard of a C&R SBR allowed to be registered but I have no idea about suppressors.

GarrettJ
09-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes they are out there. The NFA was not very well advertised in 1934, and a relatively small number of silencers were registered. Many less than machine guns. Afterward, they could still be registered by paying the $200 tax. But nobody was going to pay $200 on a $3 hardware store muffler. Over the years, they were lost, destroyed, or trashed.

They do still come up for sale from time to time. I saw a Maxim can being sold with a lever-action Winchester a few years ago. It was chambered in .25-20, or some other old cowboy caliber. I thought about buying it at the time, but I couldn't really see paying the $2500 asking price. It as pretty neat, but not something I really needed. Had I known I was moving to MI a year or two later I might have reconsidered. I believe C&R silencers were legal here all along, just as C&R machine guns were before AG Cox's determination letter.

harley2003rkc
09-10-2011, 11:16 PM
The C & R part makes sense though. They were being brought into MI by an FFL holder.

Rootsy
09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
So if one was to stumble across an old suppressor, example may be a Pre-NFA made can that is part of an estate or something, in MI, and wished to purchase it, and therefore it was a private sale and it had no paperwork, how would you go about making it legal? Kind of along the same lines of buying a pistol from a widow that was never registered but on a Federal scale here...

Never thought of the C&R route... I let my C&R lapse a few years back, maybe I should renew it.

jrjg9r
09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
ok i have 3 old silencer/suppressors. that have no no#on them just the caliber for what round to go through them . can i keep them and use them. thay are at a friends house i didnt want them in my home for fear of lose of gun rights> can some one help me. all i know is that thay were made in AR. about 15 years a go . can i have them? can i use them? or should i just leve them in Little Rock ????????

1-504 PIR
09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
ok i have 3 old silencer/suppressors. that have no no#on them just the caliber for what round to go through them . can i keep them and use them. thay are at a friends house i didnt want them in my home for fear of lose of gun rights> can some one help me. all i know is that thay were made in AR. about 15 years a go . can i have them? can i use them? or should i just leve them in Little Rock ????????

If they are legal silencers, they will have a serial number and have registration paperwork.

jrjg9r
09-17-2011, 08:32 PM
:protest: so i should leave them down south .?

GarrettJ
09-17-2011, 09:18 PM
:protest: so i should leave them down south .?
Possession of an unregistered silencer is a federal issue. By keeping them "down south", you may not run afoul of MI law. But the feds are another story. Arkansas might have something to say about it too.

Posting about it on a public forum is not the brightest idea either.

Rootsy
09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
So how does he go about making them "legal"?