PDA

View Full Version : 1 suppressor...multiple firearms??

Remnar
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I have a dumb question...

Having some discussion with fellow gun nuts and the question of using a single suppressor on a number of firearms came up. One of the group said that they thought that the suppressor had to be used on the firearm listed on the tax stamp only.

I see on just about every suppressor web site that people use them on multiple guns and assumed it was legal.

Thanks for the help.

Shyster
09-09-2011, 11:06 AM
You don't list a firearm on the tax stamp when you purchase a silencer. Where the form specifies the device you write "SILENCER"

Yes, you can use the device on mulitple firearms and multiple calibers depending on the model purchased.

Remnar
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Shyster!

jmanz6
09-12-2011, 09:19 PM
My plan is to get one to use on both my 22 and my 9mm. many of the supressors I'm looking at are designed to work with multiple calibers. Makes the effort and expense less outrageous if I can use it on more than one gun.

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 09:27 PM
My plan is to get one to use on both my 22 and my 9mm. many of the supressors I'm looking at are designed to work with multiple calibers. Makes the effort and expense less outrageous if I can use it on more than one gun.
Just be aware that a 9mm can on a .22 is A LOT of extra volume, but there will still be a lot of escape through the relatively large exit hole compared to a dedicated .22 can.

If you're using .22 in ANY can, I would recommend you get one that you can take apart to clean. .22 is just a dirty caliber.

With that said, a Liberty Mystic would be a neat can for what you want to do.

jmanz6
09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Just be aware that a 9mm can on a .22 is A LOT of extra volume, but there will still be a lot of escape through the relatively large exit hole compared to a dedicated .22 can.

If you're using .22 in ANY can, I would recommend you get one that you can take apart to clean. .22 is just a dirty caliber.

With that said, a Liberty Mystic would be a neat can for what you want to do.

The ones I'm looking at are cleanable. I understand I will be making a compromise with the 22 but it's worth it to use only 1 can. I'm looking at either a Thompson Machine Isis or Poseidon. I've watched the demo vids for them and even watched one with a P22 shot thru the 9mm can. Seems to be what I am looking for and at a price I am willing to pay. I am still shopping though since it's kind of difficult to move one of these things once you have it.

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I haven't used either, but I like the Isis monocore design better than wipes. I don't want anything touching the bullet as it passes down range. (Personal bias.)

The isis is decidedly cheaper than the Mystic as well. (Big bonus.)

GarrettJ
09-13-2011, 04:43 AM
I've had really good results using a .45 can with .22LR. Yes, it's got a bigger exit hole, but the internal volume more than makes up for this.

I've watched the demo vids for them and even watched one with a P22 shot thru the 9mm can.
You do eventually reach the point of "too much of a good thing". :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/103_5665copy.jpg