PDA

View Full Version : Cheif NFA sign off

peppy62979
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Well I went up the my local PD today to drop off a RI60. While I was there I ask if the Cheif was in and he had a few minutes to chat. I ask him what was his postion on singing off on NFA items i.e. suppresors. His reponse was that he was unaware of the AG opinion letter till today. After chatting for a few minutes about what suppresors end up costing and how long of a wait it could be just to get one. He tells me that if I want to get one he has no problem signing off on the form. He also said that he is pro-gun and would like to see Michigan do with out the pistol registration along with a few other things.

Now all I need is the funds!

Homelessrdp
09-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I had a very similar discussion on Wednesday

crowens
09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Well I went up the my local PD today to drop off a RI60. While I was there I ask if the Cheif was in and he had a few minutes to chat. I ask him what was his postion on singing off on NFA items i.e. suppresors. His reponse was that he was unaware of the AG opinion letter till today. After chatting for a few minutes about what suppresors end up costing and how long of a wait it could be just to get one. He tells me that if I want to get one he has no problem signing off on the form. He also said that he is pro-gun and would like to see Michigan do with out the pistol registration along with a few other things.

Now all I need is the funds!

I thought the county prosecutor is the CLEO?? Maybe thats just in Lenawee

rjrivero
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I thought the county prosecutor is the CLEO?? Maybe thats just in Lenawee
CLEO is going to be the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" who has control over your jurisdiction.

Your Jurisdiction is probably covered by one or more Cheif Law Enforcement Officer.

The county sheriff, or the local chief of police for instance. It's likely that some areas will designate WHO is responsible for signing off Form 4's. Yes, that CLEO's responsibility can fall on the county prosecutor.

If you end up getting the "run around" you can go to the State Police to see if they will sign off on it. And if you don't get any commitment from them, you go to the Attorney General of the State. If you STILL can't get anyone to sign off on it, you can call the ATF for other instruction on who else would be able to sign off on your Form 4.

Because of this "run around" there has been talk in the ATF to do away with the CLEO signature, and instead just INFORM the CLEO that you have transfered a Title 3 firearm in your posession. However, that hasn't come to fruition just yet.

kdogg
09-09-2011, 09:19 PM
This whole sign off thing is absolutely stupid. If the Fed's say it's OK and a state decides it's OK under Fed rules, why the hell would they require a signature?

Seems like they would do away with it to get more of those $200.00 dollar checks.

I would WRITE a check right now for a tax stamp to get a .22LR suppressor if it wasn't for this stupid trust thing.

Ideally I want a .22LR can and then an Osprey .45acp can so I can run it on my .45acp and my 9mm.

rjrivero
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
This whole sign off thing is absolutely stupid. If the Fed's say it's OK and a state decides it's OK under Fed rules, why the hell would they require a signature?

Seems like they would do away with it to get more of those $200.00 dollar checks.

I would WRITE a check right now for a tax stamp to get a .22LR suppressor if it wasn't for this stupid trust thing.

Ideally I want a .22LR can and then an Osprey .45acp can so I can run it on my .45acp and my 9mm.
The ATF has recognized this. That is part of the reason that the ATF is exploring the possibility of going with a CLEO Notification instead of the CLEO sign off. If you want your cans NOW, then you have two choices. Call your CLEO and see if they'll sign off, or go with a trust/LLC.

kdogg
09-09-2011, 11:33 PM
The ATF has recognized this. That is part of the reason that the ATF is exploring the possibility of going with a CLEO Notification instead of the CLEO sign off. If you want your cans NOW, then you have two choices. Call your CLEO and see if they'll sign off, or go with a trust/LLC.

Any word as to how long? At this point another year or two won't matter I guess! Don't NEED a suppressor, just want one! :)

Quaamik
09-10-2011, 01:12 PM
The CLEO signoff provision dates from 40 - 50 years before the first computers. It was a recognition that the Feds might not have any record for the person applying, even though they were picked up weekly for drunk driving, drunk and disorderly, assault and other charges and might even have a rap sheet quite long.

It was a stretch at that time that allowed local law enforcement to deny based on a "bad reputation" even if they hadn't been convicted of anything. Nowdays, in the computer age, it's completely obsolete - even if you agree with the concept of background checks and registration. I can't see how even anti's support it.

rjrivero
09-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Any word as to how long? At this point another year or two won't matter I guess! Don't NEED a suppressor, just want one! :)
No. They were discussing this last year. Change is slow on the .gov level, so I wouldn't expect to see any "significant" progress in this until the new interim head of the ATF has a chance to get up to speed at the earliest.