PDA

View Full Version : I just (expletive) shot myself

tom-n8ies
09-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder if he was using a serpa holster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI

Act a Fool win the stupid prize.

jeepinrrt
09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
yup he was

tom-n8ies
09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Prolly would not have happened if he was using one of yours.

t

jeepinrrt
09-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Prolly would not have happened if he was using one of yours.

t

:biggrin:

Or any other non fatally flawed design :whistle:

Dabears!
09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
already posted.
tex is an idiot with an oversized waist and ego

JohnJak
09-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Putting your finger in the trigger guard as it just cleared leather/plastic is only for dumb azzes.

sixhundredrr
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM
OMG, if you haven't watched the musical version of that vid, you need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg&feature=related

Dabears!
09-09-2011, 07:46 PM

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matthew_h
09-09-2011, 08:51 PM
the musical version is great ! :thumbup:

kdogg
09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I just wanna make a quote! :D

After the shot went off, my training kicked in. I called my parents...

mopedman
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM

You just made my day.

Howard000003
09-09-2011, 11:13 PM
And that's why I carry quick clot and an Israeli bandage in my shooting bag. Better safe than sorry.

dpgperftest
09-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Not the holster it was the operator he fracken pulled the trigger

Dabears!
09-10-2011, 07:44 AM

ding ding ding

jeepinrrt
09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

:banghead:

It is short sighted not to look at the events leading up to the specific action.

WHAT caused him to pull the trigger?

Was it being lazy with poor trigger finger discipline?

No, it was a specific action (pressing a poorly placed button), that led to a slipping finger and then the ND.

While the holster didn't pull the trigger, its dangerous to ignore that it was a large precipitating factor in the event.

dpgperftest
09-10-2011, 11:05 AM

It is short sighted not to look at the events leading up to the specific action.

No, it was a specific action (pressing a poorly placed button), that led to a slipping finger and then the ND.

While the holster didn't pull the trigger, its dangerous to ignore that it was a large precipitating factor in the event.
I have to guess lazy with poor trigger finger discipline?

Looks like to me he released the gun from the holster and continued the squeeze the trigger.

jeepinrrt
09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I have to guess lazy with poor trigger finger discipline?

Looks like to me he released the gun from the holster and continued the squeeze the trigger.

My question is WHY did his finger go in that direction?

It's because he had to PRESS the button. When he did that, his finger slipped and continued on that path right into the trigger.

The holster did not pull the trigger, like I said, but it was a contributing factor.

Think of it this way. In ANY other design your trigger finger is just along for the ride. It does not have any active role in the draw stroke, and only gets put into service once on target. With this design, you have to PUSH TOWARD THE TRIGGER, opening the door for accidents like this.

dpgperftest
09-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I know what your sayin I don't own one of them holsters but i have tryed them.

I think it was a combination of things the guy trying to show off in front of the camera ?.

on could say the trigger is poorly placed LOL.

If it was me i would of said oh crap i just ****/pooped my self by the way I just shoot my self too :cry:

I think just my two cents know your equipment start off slow but again could this just be **** happens ??? sometime when your doing what this guy is doing is not the safest thing to be doing and on the other hand life is not safe ?

quick draws are not safe but necessary

Ruger
09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Didn't we have a guy here on the board that did a Utube where he shot himself?
In the foot as I recall?

What was his name? :scratch:

northkid
09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
That's gonna leave a mark or two.

dpgperftest
09-10-2011, 01:04 PM
:etoh: OK I,I,I, one minute please :etoh: :etoh: OK thats better lets go shooting :etoh:

MountainDreamer
09-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the post, I needed that.

rayban
09-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Didn't we have a guy here on the board that did a Utube where he shot himself?
In the foot as I recall?

What was his name? :scratch:

Darminater...he got banned.

emt232004
09-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Putting your finger in the trigger guard as it just cleared leather/plastic is only for dumb azzes.

It was not the action that led to a slipping finger it was him pulling the trigger did you watch the video? It speaks for itself, even showes his finger being clear the holster before he pulls the trigger. Let's not forget he also states it was his fault and not that of the holster. The flaw is not the holster it is that of not knowing your equipment.

My question is WHY did his finger go in that direction?

It's because he had to PRESS the button. When he did that, his finger slipped and continued on that path right into the trigger.

The holster did not pull the trigger, like I said, but it was a contributing factor.

Think of it this way. In ANY other design your trigger finger is just along for the ride. It does not have any active role in the draw stroke, and only gets put into service once on target. With this design, you have to PUSH TOWARD THE TRIGGER, opening the door for accidents like this.

Have you used a serpa? It is not a press but a pad release, you do not have to
PUSH TOWARD THE TRIGGER

miked
09-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Here we go again.......

jeepinrrt
09-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Have you used a serpa? It is not a press but a pad release, you do not have to push

I own a SERPA and it sat on the shelf collecting dust until I cannibalized the paddle from it.

I too bought into the idea at one time. It was the first holster I ever bought, got it and a blackhawk double and single mag carriers, the day I bought my first pistol.

Um, so yeah, if you don't need to push the button what do you need to do in order to get it out? Pull it..... (Rhetorical question here, lets call a sheep a sheep, you need to push the damn button to release the gun)

tcb
09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Keep finger off the trigger until ready to shoot?

jeepinrrt
09-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Keep finger off the trigger until ready to shoot?

Yes, but what if the holster you are using requires an action that increases the likelihood of getting that finger in the guard and accidentally pulling the trigger?

Do we just ignore that and motor on over a $30 piece of plastic? Or are we rational beings who can take the info, process it, and make a decision not based on feelings or emotional attachment.

There are also other issues with the SERPA and they can be found in numerous threads and video on this site and others.

rayban
09-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Here we go again.......

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh473/Redelephant47_bucket/cat_fight.jpg

dpgperftest
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, but what if the holster you are using requires an action that increases the likelihood of getting that finger in the guard and accidentally pulling the trigger?
Do we just ignore that and motor on over a $30 piece of plastic? Or are we rational beings who can take the info, process it, and make a decision not based on feelings or emotional attachment.

There are also other issues with the SERPA and they can be found in numerous threads and video on this site and others.

Than maybe that person is not a safe gun owner.

So your glock is a $600+ piece of plastic !

It sounds like your already made a decision based on feelings and/or emotional attachments

Just sayin :crosshai:

emt232004
09-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Prove it. The video clearly shows his finger lined up alone the frame of the pistol while clearing the holser. It is not until he moves it to pull the trigger does it come off the frame and pulls the trigger.

It is clear as day in this video. But there are those on this site that see "serpa" and insist on hating. If it is such a deadly design why are they still being sold? :tsk:

emt232004
09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Um, so yeah, if you don't need to push the button what do you need to do in order to get it out? Pull it..... (Rhetorical question here, lets call a sheep a sheep, you need to push the damn button to release the gun)

You do not need to hook your finger to push the button. It's funny how I am able to release my pistol from a serpa with my trigger finger along the frame and not near the trigger or even close to "accidentally" near the trigger due to having to push the button.

jeepinrrt
09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Than maybe that person is not a safe gun owner.

So your glock is a $600+ piece of plastic !

It sounds like your already made a decision based on feelings and/or emotional attachments

Just sayin :crosshai:

1) You are missing my point
2) Red Herring
3) No, I liked my serpa, never had a problem with it. But, and here is the key, I can see that the pushing of the button, where it is located can lead to things like this happening. The difference here is I don't cling to a bad design, I move on.

jeepinrrt
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Prove it. The video clearly shows his finger lined up alone the frame of the pistol while clearing the holser. It is not until he moves it to pull the trigger does it come off the frame and pulls the trigger.

The video shows his finger pushing the button down in order to release the gun. On the draw it slips down into the trigger guard, and pulls the trigger.

Here is my point of contention it seems you are missing. It's not the finger by the frame thats the issue for me. It's the fact you have to push the button, and this motion can lead to your finger slipping off the frame and into the guard, as this guy did.

It is clear as day in this video. But there are those on this site that see "serpa" and insist on hating. If it is such a deadly design why are they still being sold? You do not need to hook your finger to push the button. It's funny how I am able to release my pistol from a serpa with my trigger finger along the frame and not near the trigger or even close to "accidentally" near the trigger due to having to push the button.

Again, you are failing to see how the action of pushing your finger on that button could, and has, led to situations like this. You push yourself, push to hard, or your finger slips, and boom, the recipe is right.

What is the statistical correlation? I have no idea..... however, keep in mind that the r=.04 for people actually saved by taking aspirin during a hart attack...... Not every case has to end in the same result....

Why are they still being sold? A sucker is born every second and gun shops promote the hell out of them. Its a cash cow and thats the bottom line.

Boiler_81
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
He has another video which explains what he did. since I can not post a link until I have 10 posts look for a video titled "I shot myself! Original Upload!"

It is clear as day in this video. But there are those on this site that see "serpa" and insist on hating. If it is such a deadly design why are they still being sold? :tsk:

dpgperftest
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
People that don't like SERPA is only based on feelings and/or emotional attachments to other holster:gaga: :gaga: :gaga: :gaga: :gaga:

jrjg9r
09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
what a jack ass . wow i cant see how he has gun rights . what a dumb ass

emt232004
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
The video shows his finger pushing the button down in order to release the gun. On the draw it slips down into the trigger guard, and pulls the trigger.

Here is my point of contention it seems you are missing. It's not the finger by the frame thats the issue for me. It's the fact you have to push the button, and this motion can lead to your finger slipping off the frame and into the guard, as this guy did.

Again, you are failing to see how the action of pushing your finger on that button could, and has, led to situations like this. You push yourself, push to hard, or your finger slips, and boom, the recipe is right.

What is the statistical correlation? I have no idea..... however, keep in mind that the r=.04 for people actually saved by taking aspirin during a hart attack...... Not every case has to end in the same result....

Why are they still being sold? A sucker is born every second and gun shops promote the hell out of them. Its a cash cow and thats the bottom line.

did you watch the video? His finger does not slip, he pulls the trigger before he clears his body while trying to speed shoot/ show off for the camera.

As far as the rest of your statements strong salesman words to attempt to get somone to not buy a serpa and buy one of the holsters you are trying to sell.

**Looking for a new holster?**
Follow the link to Griffin Holsters

Mail order holsters offered
Colt Gov 1911, Commander 1911
Glock 17/22/31, 19/23/32, 36, 26/27/33, 29/30
H&K P30, Walther PPK/S
Kahr PM 9/40, CW 9/40
M&Pc 9/40,.45 M&P 9/40
Ruger LCP/LCR/SR9c, p89
Springfielpd XDsc (9mm & .40)
Sig P238, P239

emt232004
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
He has another video which explains what he did. since I can not post a link until I have 10 posts look for a video titled "I shot myself! Original Upload!"

It explains that he was using another holster earlier in the day which he thought he was still using at the time of him shooting himself. Which is why you need to know your equipment before you depend on it.

7.62 Nato
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
It explains that he was using another holster earlier in the day which he thought he was still using at the time of him shooting himself. Which is why you need to know your equipment before you depend on it.
Yeah, Serpas are not FOOL PROOF ! Therefore many people should not carry in a Serpa. BTW, I carry a 1911 in a Serpa every day. By some peoples assertions, I should also play the lottery because I've "been so lucky".

METL
09-12-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the serpa, although I find them dangerous.

I think it is more to do with the fact that he normally relies on his safety and in his attempt to be fast, I think he put his finger on the trigger ON PURPOSE and was going to disengage the safety as he leveled the firearm.

I think he forgot (or didn't realize) that he had already switched off the safety, therefore, I don't think it was a serpa problem.

I think he purposefully put his finger on the trigger in an attempt to be extra fast and tacticool and was depending on the safety to keep the gun from firing. Safety was not on. BANG.

JohnJak
09-12-2011, 08:37 AM

It's because our resident commandos say it's bad.

Rickey
09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Good thing he was not using hollow points. Thats got to hurt

jeepinrrt
09-12-2011, 01:32 PM
did you watch the video? His finger does not slip, he pulls the trigger before he clears his body while trying to speed shoot/ show off for the camera.

As far as the rest of your statements strong salesman words to attempt to get somone to not buy a serpa and buy one of the holsters you are trying to sell.

Yes I watched the video, a couple of times actually. His finger continues on the path of the push from when he released the gun from the holster.

As for the assertion that I am plugging my products...... Nothing could be farther from the truth. My target market is not the retention holster market. I don't and NEVER will offer any sort of retention holster. I am saying that there are better designs out there for retention holsters...... Look at safari land, much better than the serpa design.

We can agree to disagree, thats fine, I'm just pointing out my problem with it, and that there are better designs out there. By all means if you think its a great design....... whatever.

Ruger
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I own a Serpa! I purchased it because it was recommended by one of my LEO relatives.
It sits in the bottom of my war chest as something to use as a last resort!

It's not for sale, nor will it ever be! I wouldn't do that to you or anyone else.

Yance
09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I was interested in a serpa until I saw this video. Any holster that has the potential to have a problem like this is going to be a bad choice. I have decided I am going to go with a safariland ALS 6378, it has a thumb release instead of a trigger finger release. Same concept but not an important finger. I can agree with those of you that say it was poor trigger finger discipline and those of you that blame it on the design. IMHO the design of the holster can lead to bad trigger finger discipline, especially if you are in the heat of the moment and you have draw it to save your life. I prefer to err on the side of safety myself.

dpgperftest
09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
It was the glocks fault :hide:

cwo4uscgret
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
What interests me the most about this is how he plays the camera - despite being shot in the leg as he walks away from the target he looks at the camera as if to say "You got that, right?"

The Sherpa Holster is a bad design; but ol' Tex is the first person I've heard of that shot himself on the draw with it.

warrenhuntsky
09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Ouch!

JGant
09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't think this bufoon was goin get an invitation to jin MENSA anytime soon...

..DETROIT..
09-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Everyone has made some very valid points. The push-button retention arguement would appear to be endless. however, not much has been said about the manual safety as a factor in the serpas' "safety" issue. Initially when I purchased my serpa and then heard some of the "what ifs" I admit I was a bit weary at first. But not anymore. I have come to realized a few things. First, practice is paramount. Many people assume by having "it" they know how to use "it" (gun, holster, ect). Secondly, "use your safety". I don't believe any accidental discharges occured with a serpa with the manual safety on. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

jeepinrrt
09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Everyone has made some very valid points. The push-button retention arguement would appear to be endless. however, not much has been said about the manual safety as a factor in the serpas' "safety" issue. Initially when I purchased my serpa and then heard some of the "what ifs" I admit I was a bit weary at first. But not anymore. I have come to realized a few things. First, practice is paramount. Many people assume by having "it" they know how to use "it" (gun, holster, ect). Secondly, "use your safety". I don't believe any accidental discharges occured with a serpa with the manual safety on. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't believe in manual safeties.....

..DETROIT..
09-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Your "beliefs" is not what's in question here. Only the fact that with needed practice and proper handling, any firearm/holster combination can be used safetly.

35percent
09-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I do not own nor have I used a serpa, but it just seems like that button is setting yourself up for failure. Can you properly use the serpa the way it was intended after training with it? Probably sure. Are you more likely to have your fingering on the trigger when you're not 100% paying attention? Possibly.

To me it just seems like a bad idea, and as mentioned earlier there are better offerings for holsters.

- Jacob

dpgperftest
09-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Ether does the guy that shoot him self :shrugs:

I do not own nor have I used a serpa, but it just seems like that button is setting yourself up for failure. Can you properly use the serpa the way it was intended after training with it? Probably sure. Are you more likely to have your fingering on the trigger when you're not 100% paying attention? Possibly.

To me it just seems like a bad idea, and as mentioned earlier there are better offerings for holsters. :shrugs:

- Jacob

well a gun has a trigger so but it just seems that having a trigger is setting yourself up for failure

jeepinrrt
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Your "beliefs" is not what's in question here. Only the fact that with needed practice and proper handling, any firearm/holster combination can be used safetly.

Then I mistook your premise. It sounded like you were suggesting the use of a SERPA gets safer if you use your manual safety.

..DETROIT..
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Then I mistook your premise. It sounded like you were suggesting the use of a SERPA gets safer if you use your manual safety.
Does it not? I think it would be more of a fact than an opinion. Don't you think?

jeepinrrt
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Does it not? I think it would be more of a fact than an opinion. Don't you think?

If this is your premise, then by default you admit its an unsafe design and the "extra layer" of protection is needed. We don't have other holsters that are safety dependent do we?

Design flaw indeed..... Does the Safariland holster get "safer" when used with a pistol that has a manual safety? No, because its a better design, that is not setting one up for possible failure. If the presence of a manual safety makes the holster safer to use, then I think we can agree its a holster design issue, can we not? If we can't thats fine, like I said earlier, no sweat off my back, just pointing out my problem with the design...

dpgperftest
09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
If this is your premise, then by default you admit its an unsafe design and the "extra layer" of protection is needed. We don't have other holsters that are safety dependent do we?

Design flaw indeed..... Does the Safariland holster get "safer" when used with a pistol that has a manual safety? No, because its a better design, that is not setting one up for possible failure. If the presence of a manual safety makes the holster safer to use, then I think we can agree its a holster design issue, can we not? If we can't thats fine, like I said earlier, no sweat off my back, just pointing out my problem with the design...
With that logic one could say the same the for all guns in general. Dont be that guy learn from him and be safe!!!!!

..DETROIT..
09-16-2011, 12:46 PM
With that logic one could say the same the for all guns in general. Dont be that guy learn from him and be safe!!!!!
Boy, he really gave that last one some thought, huh? Like I said, "ultimately, holster choice comes down to personal preference." Either you can use it or you can't. Either you like it or you don't.

Yance
09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I think of it as putting the brake peddle above the gas peddle in a car...eventually your foot might just slip while youre in drive and youre flooring it into someone or something. Same concept, if you wouldnt put a brake peddle above the gas, why put a release that needs to be pressed on above the trigger??

jeepinrrt
09-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I think of it as putting the brake peddle above the gas peddle in a car...eventually your foot might just slip while youre in drive and youre flooring it into someone or something. Same concept, if you wouldnt put a brake peddle above the gas, why put a release that needs to be pressed on above the trigger??

sarcasm/ Because I haven't had any issues with it, it works just fine... /sarcasm

Yance
09-16-2011, 06:10 PM
sarcasm/ Because I haven't have any issues with it, it works just fine... /sarcasm

:shrugs: the "its never going to happen to me" people

BravoKilo
09-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Doesn't seem like anybody has posted this one yet. Includes his explanation of events

zYvAxLX6OzE

"My training took over, I called my parents"

:roflmao: :roflmao:

sse
09-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure what lesson is to be taken from that.

Dabears!
09-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what lesson is to be taken from that.
fatty grebner is stupid?

thats the lesson i learned.

sse
09-18-2011, 12:53 PM
That's not a lesson.

Yance
09-18-2011, 02:19 PM
the lesson is dont use a serpa...:laughing:

dpgperftest
09-18-2011, 02:30 PM
the lesson is dont use a GLOCK ...:laughing:

Fixed it for you LOL

jeepinrrt
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Fixed it for you LOL

And by Glock you mean Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 right? :biggrin:

dpgperftest
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
And by Glock you mean Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 right? :biggrin:
That works for me what about U

Yance
09-18-2011, 04:03 PM
And by Glock you mean Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 in a serpa holster right? :biggrin:

FIFY :banana:

..DETROIT..
09-19-2011, 07:16 AM
There's been many instances where someone (meathead) has mistakenly stepped on the gas instead of the brake and caused an accident or damages. So, should people not use cars?

cwo4uscgret
09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
why at about 36 or 37 seconds into this video (and on the original video) he looks into the camera, just to make sure it is on tape...

We shoot a very similar course of fire at work; one officer at a time; push off from the target with the support hand, draw, and once the gun is on target, shoot to stop the threat - usually this means emptying the magazine into the target's center body mass as quickly as possible; and seeking cover. In 7 and 1/2 years with this agency I have never seen, nor heard of a negligent discharge during this drill.

I will give old Tex credit for one thing - owning his mistake.

p220c
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
:laugh: I bet he never does that again

GreenSkyy87
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Who in their right mind would upload this themselves? I don't think that he fully thought that through. He should have learned from his stupid mistake, not told anyone, and move on. Now I bet he has one hell of a time trying to enjoy a gun show, or even some time at a public range. I bet trips to the LGS are no longer enjoyable anymore. Once you put something like that on the internet, it never goes away. Even a local radio station here made him one of the weekly "tuesday tools"

Then again, I sure did enjoy laughing at the guy......

Merffme
09-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Who in their right mind would upload this themselves? I don't think that he fully thought that through. He should have learned from his stupid mistake, not told anyone, and move on. Now I bet he has one hell of a time trying to enjoy a gun show, or even some time at a public range. I bet trips to the LGS are no longer enjoyable anymore. Once you put something like that on the internet, it never goes away. Even a local radio station here made him one of the weekly "tuesday tools"

Then again, I sure did enjoy laughing at the guy......

Check the number of hits on just this vid...he gets PAID every hit.

IDK how much, but paid is PAID!

7.62 Nato
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Yeah, he's a regular Darminator II. I'm starting to see a trend with these fools. Wonder what name HE'LL use next.

durwood
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Learned from Paris and Kardashian. Make fun of me but I'm making money fools. Screw ego, money is better.

GreenSkyy87
09-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Ture, but I really doubt it would be enough to make it worth not being able to show your face in the gun community. From what I have heard, YouTube partners usually only make a fraction of a cent per hit.