PDA

View Full Version : What to get? Pulling my hair out!

csmhowitzer
09-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I've spent all week trying to narrow down a decision on what can to get for my m4. I plan on doing chewy's group buy this friday.

I think my list is narrowed down to two mfg's AAC or Surefire, and I like almost all of the 556 cans from both companies.

I'm pretty sure I want a muzzle brake to decrease the amount of wear and tear on the can, but when I look at AAC's SPR/M4 it has this M.I.T.E.R deal that allows you to adjust the POI after you put the can on. I feel it may be more of a gimmick, but I do like how it slides over the FH and the barrel so even though it's 8 inches long (giggity) it only extends the barrel 4" or so.

Surefire's fa556-212 or the mini/micro all seem very good pick ups. I just haven't been able to find solid believable reviews. Most of the product reviews I found for either AAC or Surefire seemed too biased and threw me off. So it was hard for me to trust their word.

I know most of us are new to the CAN CAN game, but i'm hoping someone can help out.

Thanks, :cannon:

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I've spent all week trying to narrow down a decision on what can to get for my m4. I plan on doing chewy's group buy this friday.

I think my list is narrowed down to two mfg's AAC or Surefire, and I like almost all of the 556 cans from both companies.

I'm pretty sure I want a muzzle brake to decrease the amount of wear and tear on the can, but when I look at AAC's SPR/M4 it has this M.I.T.E.R deal that allows you to adjust the POI after you put the can on. I feel it may be more of a gimmick, but I do like how it slides over the FH and the barrel so even though it's 8 inches long (giggity) it only extends the barrel 4" or so.

Surefire's fa556-212 or the mini/micro all seem very good pick ups. I just haven't been able to find solid believable reviews. Most of the product reviews I found for either AAC or Surefire seemed too biased and threw me off. So it was hard for me to trust their word.

I know most of us are new to the CAN CAN game, but i'm hoping someone can help out.

Thanks, :cannon:

You have to make the decisions for yourself. Essentially, you need to decide what your priorities are in a can.

The mico/mini cans have their advantages in size but they REALLY give up from a suppression standpoint. They're really designed to be used by entry teams. They help keep you from blowing each other's ears out. Not hearing safe, at all.

EricF517
09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/supressors/product/rifle-suppressor

jmacken37
09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
You're right. It is hard to decide. For a rifle can, I'd consider the following:

1) length of rifle you're suppressing. The Surefire Mini was designed for a 14.5" or longer bbl.
2) rifles you'll suppress. If you'll shoot the can on a .308 and a 5.56, look at the AAC 30 cal cans.
3) POI shift, surefire does a nice job here.
4) weight/size
5) mounting options/requirements. Buying mounts really adds up. An SWR Renegade or GT Halo might be something to consider if you're going to swap the can a bit.
6) performance. Lots of variables here, but check out http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?247-SILENCER-SOUND-TESTING.
7) cost.

Jake

jmacken37
09-14-2011, 11:26 PM
You have to make the decisions for yourself. Essentially, you need to decide what your priorities are in a can.

The mico/mini cans have their advantages in size but they REALLY give up from a suppression standpoint. They're really designed to be used by entry teams. They help keep you from blowing each other's ears out. Not hearing safe, at all.

The mini cans ARE hearing safe when mounted on longer bbls and are not designed to be mounted on short/entry-type rifles.

Jake

rjrivero
09-15-2011, 07:26 AM
The mini cans ARE hearing safe when mounted on longer bbls and are not designed to be mounted on short/entry-type rifles.

Jake
Valid point. I guess I should say that a mini can doesn't work well on my 7.5" and 10" uppers. I kind of forget that I have SBR's......

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=267