PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my 1st compound Bow

ittayem66
09-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I really have no idea where to start. Im looking into buying my first compound Bow. Im looking to do some hunting eventually and really need some good leads on where I can go to get set up. Should I stay away from the Big Chain stores? Any of tips would be very helpfull. thanks.

miked
09-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Just like guns shoot as many as you can before deciding on one.

If you have not shot before start with a lower weight. Form is the most inportant thing. You don't need to pull 75# to kill a deer but it will kill your shoulder if you don't work up to it properly.

I've shot Matthews, Hoyt and Darton over the years. I've heard PSE has improved their quality so they may be worth looking at.

Start out slow and don't fall for the hype, You really don't need the $100-$200 dollar sights and stabilizers and whatnot to shoot well.

FWIW I've never bought a new bow. My dad used to shoot competitively and I've had friends that upgraded every time a new model came along so I've always been able to pick one up that was a few years old for a fraction of the cost of new (i.e. $150-$300 for a bow that would cost $600-$700 new)

TomE
09-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Used bows in your area should be common and cheap . A lot of hunters are switching to crossbows

ittayem66
09-12-2011, 08:20 AM
i have came across huntersfriend.com theres alot!!! of good info there. I definatly will shoot as many as I can. Do Stores usually let you test shoot them?

TomE
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
if they have a range set-up inside or out

ro2
09-12-2011, 08:04 PM
if you decide to buy a new bow, try to buy from a reputable archery shop they know how to set up ur bow for u. No offense to anybody who work for stores like frabellas or fast pro shop ( intentionally fumbling names;) but those folks rarely set up a bow properly. the archery shops also sell used bows and u will pay a bit more, but you will typically get some education and instruction while u are there. Good luk in ur quest, I myself love to fling the pointy sticks.

ittayem66
09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
im heading to MJC in royal oak later this afternoon. Has anyone ever delt with them before?

TomE
09-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I bought a Matthews Feathermax from them in '98 ,expensive bow ($509). Their prices are the same for Matthews across the city . They have a range and will let you shoot the bows and will set them up for you . They are top notch ,with top notch bows and accessories ,but the price comes with that.
You can get a Parker ,which is a Matthews copy for less.:thumbup:

tim8287
09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
im heading to MJC in royal oak later this afternoon. Has anyone ever delt with them before?

MJC is an awesome shop. Try the one at 15 and Groesbeck. Very nice range and pro shop!

--Tim