PDA

View Full Version : Threading a bull barrel rifle

Shyster
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Remington 541-T threaded locally? Big, heavy bull barrel that a suppressor would be dandy for. Are there any problems associated with threading such a barrel?

Also, anyone have a suggestion for the suppressor to mount on it? I want one that could do double duty on a .22 pistol.

Joeywhat
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Doug, and Silencerco Sparrow gets good reviews. It will be the first can I get.

jburt
09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Thompson machine suppresors sound good just from the videos I've seen. And a really good price. 280 for the zephyr xl.

Gloofy
09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Buy once, cry once. AAC Element (http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=488)

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
If you're going to thread a bull barrel, it would be nice to have a thread protector made for it at the same time. One that matches the OD of the barrel. Just saying.

Shyster
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
If you're going to thread a bull barrel, it would be nice to have a thread protector made for it at the same time. One that matches the OD of the barrel. Just saying.
Yep, that's a good point.

GarrettJ
09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Thompson machine suppresors sound good just from the videos I've seen. And a really good price. 280 for the zephyr xl.
This is not meant as a slam on TM, but just a general observation: watching / listening to videos on your computer is not necessarily going to give you a good idea of how a particular suppressor sounds. The camera mic will likely not pick up the peak impulse, and your speakers may not give a true playback.

But it is probably the only real comparison method most of us have available. Unless you know someone that owns the cans you want to compare, and are able to listen to them in person.

Shyster
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I just read the stats on the Sparrow and I think that will be my choice. It is rated to work with up to 5.7x28 or .22lr machine guns. Since I suspect FiveseveN is in my future this sounds like a good choice.

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I just read the stats on the Sparrow and I think that will be my choice. It is rated to work with up to 5.7x28 or .22lr machine guns. Since I suspect FiveseveN is in my future this sounds like a good choice.
Excellent suppressor. I put one on a Form 4 a little while ago. I should check on it!

Shyster
09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
New thought: Are Gemtech's any good? Could I get a G5 (the 5.56 rifle version) and mount that on my pistols and a .22lr rifle? They have a version with 1/2x28 threads, which is the same as the Sparrow...

rjrivero
09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
New thought: Are Gemtech's any good? Could I get a G5 (the 5.56 rifle version) and mount that on my pistols and a .22lr rifle? They have a version with 1/2x28 threads, which is the same as the Sparrow...
I also have a Gemtech Alpine .22. The g5 is a good suppressor, but it isn't "user serviceable." Mucking up the internals of a 5.56/.223 can is an expensive thing to do. You can "Soak" the can in peroxide, or what have you to dissolve the lead , but then you're left with lead in solution that needs to be disposed of properly. (The G5 CAN soak since the internals are all titanium, stainless and inconel.)

The other issue you will run into is mounting it on a .22 pistol. The G5 uses the quick attachment system. You'll need the correct muzzle device on your pistol which is something you might like, or might not like depending on which pistol you would like to put it on.

For a .22 suppressor, if you plan on shooting any significant .22 through it, I highly recommend a dedicated .22 suppressor.

Minimally, I would have a .22 Suppressor (I like the Sparrow).
I would then have a .308 suppressor for .308 and 5.56.
I would then have a .45 suppressor to use for center-fire pistols or pistol caliber carbines.

But this is just me thinking out loud.

It's hard to get a ONE DOES ALL kind of suppressor. One will do A LOT, but it definitely will not do ALL. Figure out what you want (long term) and start to fill those voids. What do you shoot most? What do you shoot second most? What are you going to use the suppressor for? Home defense, vs. Plinking? Heavy use vs. Light use. That will help you get the most out of your suppressor decision.

fozzy71
09-13-2011, 07:32 PM
..... I suspect FiveseveN is in my future this sounds like a good choice.

I thought I was the only one on this board that wanted this gun. :naughty:

EricF517
09-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Remington 541-T threaded locally? Big, heavy bull barrel that a suppressor would be dandy for. Are there any problems associated with threading such a barrel?

Also, anyone have a suggestion for the suppressor to mount on it? I want one that could do double duty on a .22 pistol.

Call Pierce Engineering in Lansing. He will thread the barrel for you and make a thread protector. Not to mention he is making suppressors!

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/supressors/product/rifle-suppressor