PDA

View Full Version : Cans and corrosive ammo

Shyster
09-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I was thinking about getting a can for my 5.45x39 M&P but now am wondering about the wisdom of that. It is my understanding that the Russian milsurp ammo that I shoot is at least somewhat corrosive.

--Would the ammo destroy the can?
--Are there 5.56 cans that can be taken apart for cleaning?
----if no, would it be simply better to forego using the can with this AR or can I adequately clean the salts out of it without taking it apart?

Homelessrdp
09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Run the hornady ammo with the can

mini4m3
09-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I was thinking about getting a can for my 5.45x39 M&P but now am wondering about the wisdom of that. It is my understanding that the Russian milsurp ammo that I shoot is at least somewhat corrosive.

----if no, would it be simply better to forego using the can with this AR or can I adequately clean the salts out of it without taking it apart?

-- I dont think the ammo would destroy the can unless you had straight up ammo issues (think keyholing, et al)
--Yes
--n/a

Shyster
09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
-- I dont think the ammo would destroy the can unless you had straight up ammo issues (think keyholing, et al)
--Yes
--n/a
OK, the obvious follow up: What 5.56 cans can be taken apart?

autosurgeon
09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Flush the can with blackpowder cleaner and then CLP. Blow out with compressed air. Problem solved. In fact I have heard of guys using the aqueous solvent washers for cans and corrosive ammo.

rjrivero
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
OK, the obvious follow up: What 5.56 cans can be taken apart?
well, Tactical Innovations (http://www.tacticalinc.com/tac16-ar15-m16br-556mm-suppressor-p-44.html) makes one. But all the "top tier" 5.56 cans are sealed. Surefire, AAC, OPS Inc, Gemtech, etc.

RECON762WT
09-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I was thinking about getting a can for my 5.45x39 M&P but now am wondering about the wisdom of that.

I wouldn't use it with corrosive ammo. I have had good experiences using it with firearms that I can get in and clean a few hours after shooting...I have also seen some rifles where the action was so rusted shut it had to be kicked open and caused a lot of pitting in the action. I would be hesitant to use it even when using a can you can disassemble. :twocents:

GarrettJ
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Get a stainless can. That should take care of most of the issue.

Be careful if flushing with solvent, oil, or any other liquid. While most pistol cans sound noticeably better with a little liquid inside, shooting a rifle can wet can destroy it. You are dealing with much higher pressures, and adding the hydrostatic pressure of the liquid to the mix can do unpredictable things if the can wasn't designed for it.

autosurgeon
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Get a stainless can. That should take care of most of the issue.

Be careful if flushing with solvent, oil, or any other liquid. While most pistol cans sound noticeably better with a little liquid inside, shooting a rifle can wet can destroy it. You are dealing with much higher pressures, and adding the hydrostatic pressure of the liquid to the mix can do unpredictable things if the can wasn't designed for it.

Good points.. however I have seen cans cleaned and when done right all of the oil is out of the can before it goes back on the gun. Stainless cans will rust as well unfortunately as the salts in the corrosive primers are particularly nasty. (bad exp with stainless pistol and Egyptian surplus 9mm luger)

The key is to get the can dry when done. I just texted a friend in another state who has built a number of cans and he mentioned that he uses hot water to flush just like a BP rifle then once the water evaporates lightly fog with engine fogging oil and blow out with compressed air. He has one on his AK and uses the yugo surplus and so far has no rust issues nor has the can blown up. The key again is a film of oil not sloshing around between the baffles.

I am thinking about building my own and will be making mine so they can be easily dissembled if I end up doing so.

donald150
09-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I did not see this thread when I posted mine but I am in the same boat as you with the 5.45x39 but I would also like to shoot 22lr out of mine.

I was thinking about using a Ultrasonic cleaner like this one below to clean the can but that will not solve my 22lr lead buildup problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-Load-Sonic-Cleaner/dp/B003J7ZCO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317172592&sr=8-1

Either way, If I get a suppressor, I will get one that I can put on my S&W 5.45. I will find some way to keep it clean.

postban
09-28-2011, 06:53 AM

http://www.silencertests.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66342