PDA

View Full Version : Supressor Question

maustin195
09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
How do you prove you are legally in possesion of a supressor? Lets say you are stopped while driving. You disclose you have a CPL and are carrying. The LEO wants to take possesion of your gun with a supressor attached for his "safety". What do you have to prove you are legal?

rjrivero
09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
How do you prove you are legally in possesion of a supressor? Lets say you are stopped while driving. You disclose you have a CPL and are carrying. The LEO wants to take possesion of your gun with a supressor attached for his "safety". What do you have to prove you are legal?
A copy of your form 4. Some will argue that the language on the form 4 means you only have to show it to an ATF Agent on request, but the truth of the matter is any LEO will *probably* want to see it.

I keep a copy of my form 4's in my shooters bag, and a PDF copy on my cell phone.

The ATF has a 24/7/365 phone number for LEO's to verify the status of any item in the NFA registry.

maustin195
09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
A copy of your form 4. Some will argue that the language on the form 4 means you only have to show it to an ATF Agent on request, but the truth of the matter is any LEO will *probably* want to see it.

I keep a copy of my form 4's in my shooters bag, and a PDF copy on my cell phone.

The ATF has a 24/7/365 phone number for LEO's to verify the status of any item in the NFA registry.

Thanks, so the form 4 is small enough to have with you at all times. What about if in a trust how do you prove it is legal to posess? You have to carry that also?

shurhouse
09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks, so the form 4 is small enough to have with you at all times. What about if in a trust how do you prove it is legal to posess? You have to carry that also?

I believe someone stated that it helps to make sure that your name is in the trust name. IE: The Elmer Fudd NFA Trust, so that if you get ask it's more believable that you are the trustee. Something like, The Band of Brothers Trust is going to make it more difficult for LE to believe your the trustee.

rjrivero
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM
The form 4 is a standard 8 1/2 x11 inch piece of paper. You just copy it and keep it with you.

jmacken37
09-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Before I was a dealer, I'd just shrink the form 4 down on a copier. It made keeping copies of the paperwork easier.

Jake

Shyster
09-15-2011, 08:23 AM
If a Trust you will want to keep a copy of the Trust with the NFA item, along with the Form 4.