PDA

View Full Version : Yote trapping

CS1027
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
What type of traps are best and what is the best bait for yotes? I never trapped them before...only hunted them. I want to get into trapping but need a little knowledge from the experts. Thanks!

wadevb1
09-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I've been out of trapping for 15 years...I'm looking to get back into this year, but with snares. I'm fortunate to have access to private property.

Plenty of used DVD's available across numerous trapping forums. DVD's will get you up to speed.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/THEBOOK12_05_144690_7.pdf

northkid
09-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Here is a great place to read about trapping, lot of Bush dwellers here.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

langenc
09-17-2011, 04:35 PM
The snares that the dogman require trappers to use (in MI) are very inhumane.

PhilRoth
09-17-2011, 06:00 PM
The snares that the dogman require trappers to use (in MI) are very inhumane.

True that.

A couple/few Yote pelts on the wall aren't worth the massive pain that those animals will go through when they die.

Karma and the Great Overseer are gonna come around sooner or later and call up your bets for your actions! :wink: :gavel:

Coyotes rock. They're just like you, but they don't rely on your azzhole boss to cut you a check each Friday so you can go to Kroger and buy Organic Lettuce for your canned Tuna sandwich. They just sneak up and chow down the leftovers when you toss it out the back door. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you let your small dog or cat is outside at night.. then that's a different issue. Your fault or the yote's fault?

To hell with the Wolverine as Michigan's "State Animal"... I nominate the North American Coyote as the Official State Animal of Michigan.

They're not only are surviving, they're taking over.

A nice lesson from Mother Nature, and a political metaphor to boot.

Be responsible. I don't know you, but I can say that there is no reason on Earth or the Solar System why you'd want to kill a Yote.

CS1027
09-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow Phil. Even though I respect your opinion that you are entitled to, this is a posting about yote trapping where your opinion is not welcome. I'm looking for useful information about the sport and not ones opinion on why they think it's wrong. If you would like a debate about the sport of hunting or trapping of any animal then create your own thread and don't interfere with sportsmen trying to share knowledge on my thread.

Thank you to the others who have contributed valuable information to this thread.

northkid
09-17-2011, 11:49 PM
To hell with the Wolverine as Michigan's "State Animal"... I nominate the North American Coyote as the Official State Animal of Michigan.

They're not only are surviving, they're taking over.

A nice lesson from Mother Nature, and a political metaphor to boot.

Be responsible. I don't know you, but I can say that there is no reason on Earth or the Solar System why you'd want to kill a Yote.
I say a leg hold trap is great for the yotes, fresh kills and fresh pelts to boot with a 22lr behind the ear so he won't feel the pain from the leg hold trap anymore.

langenc
09-18-2011, 10:42 AM

A little late now but next late spring get online to trappers organizations websites and find out when they have their conventions.

At those meetings seminars are presents on trapping just about everything, plus fur handling to maxmize profits. Additionally supplies, lures and traps are available at good prices.

The fair grounds at Evart, MI has been the site for the MI Trappers Assn get together for several years now. I believe early Aug is the time, but it varies.

This weekend the N Great Laker Fur Harvesters met at Kinross.

Edward
09-18-2011, 04:19 PM
What type of traps are best and what is the best bait for yotes? I never trapped them before...only hunted them. I want to get into trapping but need a little knowledge from the experts. Thanks!
Foothold trap is the only effective tool we have for k9 trapping in mi.at this time.Cable restraints (snares)WERE a very effective tool untill the loop size reg. changed from 2 1/2in dia to 4 1/4in dia.I (allong with the vast majority of trappers)have given up on them (with the current loop reg).First year with the 4 1/4in reg. I was able to hold 1 out of 9 yotes!!!And to top it off,the 1 that I did hold,slipped out of it wile I was tring to take a pic!!!!!!Don't waste your time with them,unless you like to see catch circles and empty,kinked-up snares.As far as footholds,stick to the #1 3/4 -#2 sized traps (4 3/4in-5 1/2 in jaw spreads).Your anchoring method is very important as coyotes are known for "pumping-out" single stakes with ease.That leaves cross-staking or,a better option imo,is to use one of the cable-stakes on the market.You will also need some sort of freeze-proofing,many options like salt,peat,cover hulls and waxed dirt (with waxed dirt being the best imo).Really no "best" bait/lure to use,most will work well if you do your part (set on location,keep gear as scent free as possible ect..)Don't know of any trappers ed. class's being held anytime soon,but you can veiw the booklet/course on the DNRS web-site (you can get a link on the michigan trappers and predator callers site)lots of good info in there to get you started in the right direction.Also,some good info can be found by going thru the old threads on the michigan sportsman forums.Good luck to ya and hope to see you at the MTPCA convention in evart next aug.!!!!!!

CS1027
09-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Foothold trap is the only effective tool we have for k9 trapping in mi.at this time.Cable restraints (snares)WERE a very effective tool untill the loop size reg. changed from 2 1/2in dia to 4 1/4in dia.I (allong with the vast majority of trappers)have given up on them (with the current loop reg).First year with the 4 1/4in reg. I was able to hold 1 out of 9 yotes!!!And to top it off,the 1 that I did hold,slipped out of it wile I was tring to take a pic!!!!!!Don't waste your time with them,unless you like to see catch circles and empty,kinked-up snares.As far as footholds,stick to the #1 3/4 -#2 sized traps (4 3/4in-5 1/2 in jaw spreads).Your anchoring method is very important as coyotes are known for "pumping-out" single stakes with ease.That leaves cross-staking or,a better option imo,is to use one of the cable-stakes on the market.You will also need some sort of freeze-proofing,many options like salt,peat,cover hulls and waxed dirt (with waxed dirt being the best imo).Really no "best" bait/lure to use,most will work well if you do your part (set on location,keep gear as scent free as possible ect..)Don't know of any trappers ed. class's being held anytime soon,but you can veiw the booklet/course on the DNRS web-site (you can get a link on the michigan trappers and predator callers site)lots of good info in there to get you started in the right direction.Also,some good info can be found by going thru the old threads on the michigan sportsman forums.Good luck to ya and hope to see you at the MTPCA convention in evart next aug.!!!!!!

Great information! Thank you very much and I will look into all of this information. Thanks again!

CnA
09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

This works pretty good for bait...:shocked: