PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to transport my gun

hmedrummer
09-17-2011, 04:58 AM
in the car while field stripped and ammunition separate?

I do not yet have a CPL (only 20yrs) but, I do open carry often. (officers around here are pretty cool with it).

The thing is I can't transport my pistol in my car while open carrying, so what would be the best way? The one I described above?

Leader
09-17-2011, 05:47 AM
Put the unloaded gun & the ammo in the trunk in a case & go.
That's all you need to do to transport legally
The ammo may be in the same case.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

Tacks
10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Above is the perfect answer, but MAKE SURE you never get into your car without taking the gun off your person, even if you're not going anywhere. I have a buddy who is a security guard, and was sitting in his car to eat his lunch with the door open and feet on the ground; so not even entirely in the car. A cop cruising by stopped to see what he was up to (new car sitting in a bad neighborhood) and spotted his gun after he got out of the car. Because he was in the car, obstructing plain view of the weapon; and did not have a CPL (open carried his pistol) he was arrested for having an illegally concealed weapon. Just use your judgement and you should be fine, get your CPL as soon as you can though, and you won't have to worry about it.

pistoltraining
10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
It’s hard to transition between transport and open carry when you are in, say, a parking lot. Be as discreet as possible when handling the firearm to and from open carry.

in the car while field stripped and ammunition separate?

I do not yet have a CPL (only 20yrs) but, I do open carry often. (officers around here are pretty cool with it).

The thing is I can't transport my pistol in my car while open carrying, so what would be the best way? The one I described above?

detacbob
10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I would not try to handle the gun when going to the vehicle. I would leave the pistol holstered and remove them whole assembly as one. Best chance to eliminate the misinterpretation of your intent.

steve126a
10-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Had a question like this come up today. Just to be clear, as a CPL holder, I would be able to transport a long gun in my vehicle in any fashion I so desire? Example, I could take my AR and sit it on the passenger seat loaded?

Is this correct?

gwc1975
10-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Had a question like this come up today. Just to be clear, as a CPL holder, I would be able to transport a long gun in my vehicle in any fashion I so desire? Example, I could take my AR and sit it on the passenger seat loaded?

Is this correct?

Your CPL is for Pistol only. You can not transport any loaded rifle in your vehicle.

If you have a CRL, you can transport a loaded rifle! LOL

Leader
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Is this correct?

No that is NOT correct.

Your CPL does NOT allow you to transport a loaded long gun.

steve126a
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Would a CPL allow me to transport an UNLOADED rifle/shotgun in the passenger compartment without or without a case?

Leader
10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Would a CPL allow me to transport an UNLOADED rifle/shotgun in the passenger compartment without or without a case?

Your CPL allows you to do everything with a long gun that you could do before you got it & nothing more or less.