PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 questions

ProRimFire
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I am new to AR-15's and had a few questions. I'm interested in Alexander Arms products, and was wondering are all AR upper and lowers universal? Can you swap different caliber uppers with the same lower? If any one has any good info please share, any artical ect. thanks

ltdave
09-17-2011, 06:21 PM
for the MOST PART, any standard '15' upper will fit any standard '15' lower. you cant put a '15' upper on a '10' lower...

of course youre mileage may vary but since one lower with loose tolerances, may not fit up with an upper with loose tolerances if they compound (ive got an upper/lower combo that is REALLY tight because one or both are slightly out of tolerance but with some effort i can get it to lock up right)...

some of the early Colt uppers and lowers had NON-milspec takedown pins. if you have a large hole upper (the pivot point hole on the upper larger than milspec) you can get offset pins to make them work but i think everything in the last 10yrs or so are milspec sized...

ive never heard of Alexander Arms so i cant comment on them, but uppers and lowers are all forged by only a handful of sources and then machined by the individual sourced manufacturers...

good luck but keep an eye on it. they can multiply without having a mate next to them. until i lost all of mine in a boating accident i was up to 5...

PhilRoth
09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
AR-15s are like computers... Never buy a used one from someone who says he "built" it.

ProRimFire
09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
very good info thanks! Alexander arms is the maker of 6.5 grendel and .50 beowolf. thought they were interesting calibers.

ProRimFire
09-17-2011, 06:36 PM
itdave i hear ya man, i just havent got to the expensive AR's yet mostly handguns and small caliber rifles. but man they have multiplied quick!

RPMO6
09-17-2011, 06:39 PM
AR-15s are like computers... Never buy a used one from someone who says he "built" it.
What would make you think that Phil?

ltdave
09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
ive only ever bought ONE new AR. in 1994, i got my first, a Colt Match Heavy Barrel Sporter. paid WAY more than ive ever paid for any other mostly because i wasnt sure theyd ever be available again (with the clinton weapons ban just been signed)...

since then, i dont think ive paid more than $800 for any of them. ive mostly built my own, primarily uppers. neither uppers or lowers take much doing and as long as you (or a 'builder/seller') uses a brand name receiver then there shouldnt be any issue with the 'i built it' statement...

Toledo Kid
09-17-2011, 06:46 PM
What would make you think that Phil?
Ignorance is bliss. Lack of knowledge in a build make people say these things.

Knowing what to look for, a hand built AR with good parts will be a smoother running, more accurate rifle then 90% of the factory builts.

RifleGuy
09-17-2011, 08:01 PM
It would depend, largely, upon by whom it was built, but I tend to lean this way as well.
From a stranger? Never.
From someone with whom I am familiar, and have knowledge of their skill level, mechanical aptitude, etc? Possibly.

But we are drifting from topic; back to the AR parts interchangeability question....

CS1027
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Ignorance is bliss. Lack of knowledge in a build make people say these things.

Knowing what to look for, a hand built AR with good parts will be a smoother running, more accurate rifle then 90% of the factory builts.

:yeahthat:

j69charger500
09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Personally there isnt a factory rifle on the market i would buy used or new at street price.

A complete rifle is just parts to me so a built rifle will usually be the best value to me.

What parts am i gunna use, what parts wont i use, of the parts i wont use what can i sell.

shifty_85
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
very good info thanks! Alexander arms is the maker of 6.5 grendel and .50 beowolf. thought they were interesting calibers.

have fired a .50BEO many times fun to shoot kick like a 12GA crazy that big round comes out of such a tiny gun. tore up many big rocks with the beo. only prob is ammo cost alot but still fun to shoot.

my buddys dad deer hunts with it. guess he doesnt wanna have to track it huh?

:mg:

Skidog
09-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I totally agree with Toledo Kid

..DETROIT..
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I totally agree with Toledo Kid
Same here. I also believe a "hand built" AR has the potential to be of a higher quality than a store bought one. Although, there could be a catch to that. If you were to purchase someones' built AR, most likely they have more than one. The one he sells you could be the result of failed attempts or undesirable upgrades, changes, brands, ect. This "if" would only apply to a complete stranger of course.

eightbit
09-26-2011, 08:29 AM
I am new to AR-15's and had a few questions. I'm interested in Alexander Arms products, and was wondering are all AR upper and lowers universal? Can you swap different caliber uppers with the same lower? If any one has any good info please share, any artical ect. thanks
I recently took an introductory AR15 class here at Silver Bullet Firearms in Grand Rapids. I learned a ton about the platform and feel like I could make some informed buying decisions now or at least know what questions to ask. Before the class I felt like I was drowning in opinions whenever I asked questions or looked up things online.

I would imagine there would be somewhere that teaches a similar class on your side of the state.

ProRimFire
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
i have never heard of an AR class, but that sounds awesome! i would love to find a place in the south eastern part of Michigan.

Awful Hugbot
10-29-2011, 10:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with buying a built AR. You just have to know what to look for, same as buying any other gun, ever. The nice thing about ARs is they are so easy to work on if there IS something out of spec.

Build your own lower. Buy a complete upper if you're brand new. The lower is easy to assemble, allows you to customize from the start, and requires only a $5 stock wrench as far as special tools are concerned.