PDA

View Full Version : Retrieve lost hunter's safety certification

GRapidsGunOwner
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I took a hunter's safety course when I was 12 but no longer have the paperwork. Is there anyway to get it again if the program I got it through no longer exists?

kimber man
09-17-2011, 10:02 PM
There is a section on the DNR website that will send you a duplicate card. I did a couple years ago and it was easy. They ask you a few questions about where you took the class. Was mailed to me within 30 days or so which is amazing speed for the DNR.

GRapidsGunOwner
09-17-2011, 10:39 PM
That's awesome, thank you so much for the response! Very helpful.

tote'ngranny
09-18-2011, 06:50 AM
I have been told that if you got your cert some ten years ago, that you will have to retake the course. The DNR lost all info some years ago. I believe that if you have taken it in the last five years then you are ok. I am betting that you will have to take it over.
Call Shar McConeghy 517-335-3417

kimber man
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I have been told that if you got your cert some ten years ago, that you will have to retake the course. The DNR lost all info some years ago. I believe that if you have taken it in the last five years then you are ok. I am betting that you will have to take it over.
Call Shar McConeghy 517-335-3417

I took my class about 20 years ago. Didn't have a problem at all. I'm not saying your wrong.......just saying what I know happened. I would suspect if there was such a things as having to retake the class it would be stated in the handbook?? Never seen that one either. :scratch: :shrugs:

Chopper
09-18-2011, 09:38 AM
There is a section on the DNR website that will send you a duplicate card. I did a couple years ago and it was easy. They ask you a few questions about where you took the class. Was mailed to me within 30 days or so which is amazing speed for the DNR.
:yeahthat:

tote'ngranny
09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
I took my class about 20 years ago. Didn't have a problem at all. I'm not saying your wrong.......just saying what I know happened. I would suspect if there was such a things as having to retake the class it would be stated in the handbook?? Never seen that one either. :scratch: :shrugs:

If there is any question .. don't take my word, nor that of anyone on this thread .. ask directly DNR tomorrow. Take your pick

Sgt. Jon Wood Hunter Education 517-335-3410 woodj6@michigan.gov

Shar McConeghy Program Coordinator 517-335-3417 mcconeghys@michigan.gov

Rudy Lawrence Departmental Tech. 517-335-3418 lawrencer@michigan.gov

edit .. Lost Licenses and Hunter Safety Certificates http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518-32246--,00.html

If they don't have you on file and/or if you do not have the ID number from your original license, chances are you will have to retake the course.

HiPoint.40
09-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Roundballer
09-18-2011, 03:29 PM
What do you need it for? Mine has been in a shoebox for the last 20years.
Proof of Hunters Education is often needed for out of state hunts. Here in Michigan those born before 1/1/1960 are exempt, but those people may still need a HE certificate in another state. Something else that is allowed here in MI is that if you have you old hunting license, you can get a new one. I don't think those rules have changed, but they might have.

tote'ngranny
09-18-2011, 03:55 PM
If you go out of state and left your cert at home .. be ready to dole out $$$ before you can hunt. Proof of HE is mandatory if you want to hunt out of state.
Take it here in Michigan .. it's FREE .. at least it is at my club (I am the HE Coordinator) where we have been teaching the class for 31 years.

It is my understanding that Mich DNR lost a much of the data (at what point in time, I don't know) If they don't have you on record for having a cert and issued # (especially if you were born 1960 and after) how can they reissue?

mjerickson
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Do they still do the affidavit at retailers? several years back if you didnt have your HE card you could sign a document that said they you had taken the course and you were good to go. Either that or a previous hunting licence.

I know when I first started hunting in WI I didnt have my HE card but I did have a small game licence from Michigan with me and they accepted that as previous hunting experience to get my deer tags.