PDA

View Full Version : Safe fit

Rooster 308
09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
I am planning the purchase of a gunsafe and have a question.

My basement stairway entrance is under the upstairs so it is a bit of a tight fit. I will have a safe moving company/mover deliver and take it downstairs but I am not sure how big/small of a safe will fit in that tight of an area (to get it down). The house is only about 6 years old, typical builder home.

To get the safe squared to the opening of the stairs is 36" wide. Once in that entrance, I assume the dolly will need room to be on the top side of the safe. The door frame to the basement is 31x80.

I know it is hard to imagine, apologies. I am trying to determine how big of a safe the movers can get into this area and then down the stairs.

TAC
09-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Call the moving company called Two Men and a Truck, and ask.

skunkworks
09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I have also had good experience using Handle With Care. for local moves.

Sounds like you shouldn't go over 30 inches.

Remember when you are measuring to account for any hinges that may protrude from the safe. Also the dial and handle.

Remasculated
09-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Here's what I would do.

I would take the measurements of the safe I think will fit, then stop at Home Depot and buy some 1 x 2 x 8’ furring strips. (They are not expensive -- about a buck-and-a-half apiece, if I recall).

I'd construct a cubed frame to the same dimensions as the safe. Nothing fancy, just cut to length and nail them together. I'd then take the frame inside to see if it would fit through the doorways and down the stairs, making mental allowances for the dolly, hinges, etc., as mentioned.

But that's just me and how I roll.