PDA

View Full Version : Shiawassee County CLEO sign off

Dansjeep2000
09-20-2011, 07:00 AM
So last week I sent an email to the Sheriff to see if he was gonna be a problem. Looks like it might be, or he is very uninformed. Opinions? should I be push harder if his next reply is not a "Yes" or just go the trust route?

Our email exchange is below and I await a response:

I am writing to find out your stance on signing the ATF form 4 for ownership of NFA regulated items. With the recent change in Michigan law allowing private citizens the ability to own Sound Suppressors, I plan on purchasing one in the near future. Will your office be signing the Form 4?

Thank you in advance for your response,
Dansjeep2000
Shiawassee County resident

His reply:

Mr.Dansjeep2000,

I have not yet seen any legislation or law changes in regard to this matter.
Consequently, it would be premature for me to take a position at this time.

Respectfully,

Sheriff George Braidwood
Shiawassee Co Sheriff's Office
201 E. McArthur St. Corunna , MI 48817
Phone: 989-743-2204 Option # 1
E-mail: gbraidwood@shiawassee.net

My last response:

Here is a link the the State of Michigan website with the update:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164--261765--,00.html

And a link directly to the opinion:

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2010s/op10339.htm

In a few weeks I will be submitting my form 4 to your office for approval, I hope your office will follow the AG opinion.

Thank You for your time,
Dansjeep2000

zigziggityzoo
09-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Hard to give you any advise since we don't know his position, but of course you can always avoid his position by getting the NFA trust taken care of.

westcliffe01
09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
I think we are going to have a hard time getting LEO authorization as long as all forms of hunting activity remain taboo with suppressors. The sooner we can get the law updated to reflect at least the taking of nuisance animals and predators using suppressors (since this activity frequently takes place near livestock), the sooner one would be able to list a plausible activity as the reason fr needing a suppressor.

Right now, it seems that the only activity one can do is target shooting, and that possibly only at a defined range. Stating that one "needs" a suppressor to shoot at a range where most people do not possess one is not a very convincing argument and I can see that there is a huge discretionary scope to be denied by a great many LEO's.

It would be great to get full authorization for use in all hunting activities, like many other states, but I would gladly take a reduced scope over not ever getting LEO approval in the short term.

M11A1
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are putting down for the "reason" you would like such firearm or in this case device. I've had several form 4s go through Shelby twp and I keep my reason simple, so simple in fact you can't even question me needing it. My reason is "addition to collection". Hard to argue with that.

pgaplayerless
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are putting down for the "reason" you would like such firearm or in this case device. I've had several form 4s go through Shelby twp and I keep my reason simple, so simple in fact you can't even question me needing it. My reason is "addition to collection". Hard to argue with that.

"All lawful purposes"

westcliffe01
09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
What is the annual cost (including any accounting if needed) to maintain a trust ?
Back in my youth when I was a contractor, it was several $100 bills for an accountant to rubber stamp my financial records if everything was there and in perfect order. If you had a shoe box of receipts and bank statements, more like a couple of thousands.

Hard to give you any advise since we don't know his position, but of course you can always avoid his position by getting the NFA trust taken care of.

zigziggityzoo
09-26-2011, 06:37 PM
What is the annual cost (including any accounting if needed) to maintain a trust ?
Back in my youth when I was a contractor, it was several $100 bills for an accountant to rubber stamp my financial records if everything was there and in perfect order. If you had a shoe box of receipts and bank statements, more like a couple of thousands.

I don't know that there are any annual costs, but you should PM Shyster if you'd like to know more. He's a real live lawyer, and is setting up NFA trusts for $400 for MGO Members.

Shyster
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
No annual maintenance fee for a NFA Trust.

Dansjeep2000
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Still waiting to hear back from him. Guess I will find out once Chewy gets my can in.