PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh! Roll your own fingerprints for ATF???

UpNorthWOLF
09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Okay, so a visit to my local manufacturer today - Hughes Precision - meant I didn't only look, I plunked my money down on two cans (22LR and 5.56) and started the adventure. I am officially the first guinea pig for both the manufacturer and the county. The county sheriff is on board, but was out today and the gal at the office says she can't put the ATF-supplied fingerprint forms (that are the old-school ink pad variety -- DUMB!) in her digital machine. The manufacturer doesn't think copies of my CPL fingerprints from the sheriff (the gal can supply those), will make the ATF happy. The gal actually gave me a form to contact a private firm to pay for the service in a distant town. The local PDs and the MSP don't do fingerprints (I went to them). Soooooo, do I go get my own ink pad and do it myself and hope it flies? This really sucks.

By the way, most of the cops I spoke with had no clue about the change... and a few got excited when I told them.

pgaplayerless
09-23-2011, 06:12 PM
is there any feedback/video's of their cans?

How does anybody know they are any good? (their web is really lacking)

UpNorthWOLF
09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
They kept bringing out guns to let me try them...though I was more interested in listening as they shot them. Spent quite a bit of time there...I'll be back. Seriously, a walk through the machine shop and the ability to touch all kinds of internals and cans helps a lot. They don't have adapters for swapping calibers or titanium like the other companies, but they do suppress sound and I basically got TWO for the price I was going to spend for one with adapters (and that includes two tax stamps). Again, I'll be back for a .308 and a 9mm when I get the threaded barrels.

M11A1
09-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I've always sent in ink prints after a few years ago the ATF returned my scanned prints with a letter requesting "finger prints need to be in ink". It would be nice if they finally did start taking scanned prints. Sucks always having to go to the County jail to have ink prints done.

pgaplayerless
09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
They kept bringing out guns to let me try them...though I was more interested in listening as they shot them. Spent quite a bit of time there...I'll be back. Seriously, a walk through the machine shop and the ability to touch all kinds of internals and cans helps a lot. They don't have adapters for swapping calibers or titanium like the other companies, but they do suppress sound and I basically got TWO for the price I was going to spend for one with adapters (and that includes two tax stamps). Again, I'll be back for a .308 and a 9mm when I get the threaded barrels.

shoulda taken videos to convince us!

RECON762WT
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
They are quiet. He had some at the three gun championship back in 09' . They were a ton of fun to shoot. I shot AR-9mm SBR and was by very quiet. Yes the website is really lacking.

UpNorthWOLF
09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
It really is a mom and pop type shop...but mom was feeding me guns and cans and handling the paperwork and pop was handling the machining and expertise. Again, I'll be back.

rjrivero
09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
is there any feedback/video's of their cans?

How does anybody know they are any good? (their web is really lacking)
I had the pleasure of shooting one of their .22 cans last Sunday. I don't know if it is in production, but it is a TITANIUM .22 can. The thing sounded great. Shot it side by side with my Gemtech Alpine, and it sounded just a bit quieter.

Hosts were a .22 LR AR, and a Sparrow .22. Their machine work is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a can or two from them! A buddy of mine has one of their .223 cans. We shot it a while back and it too sounded really good.

Wolf, If you can't get INK prints, try calling the FBI office closest to you. I *think* they still use ink fingerprint cards.

UpNorthWOLF
09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
RJ, thanks for the info

GarrettJ
09-24-2011, 04:17 AM
Soooooo, do I go get my own ink pad and do it myself and hope it flies?
Yes you can roll your own. Practice a few first, and look them over when you're done. The biggest thing is to make sure none of them are smudged.

UpNorthWOLF
09-30-2011, 04:11 AM
UPDATE - Prints have to be done by someone "official" on BATF or ATF cards. I went to the Farmington Hills PD (11 Mile and Outer Drive) where four cards cost me $12 ($10+$1+$1). They are now in the mail to the undersheriff of my county, so I am continuing the process.

GarrettJ
09-30-2011, 04:34 AM
UPDATE - Prints have to be done by someone "official" on BATF or ATF cards...
Got a source for that?

The only thing I've ever seen is that the person taking prints is "qualified" to do so, but there is no criteria for being qualified. Plenty of people have rolled their own and were accepted.

UpNorthWOLF
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
BATF told my dealer/manufacturer this (and we are on the same learning curve, since I am their first non-dealer customer). Maybe that is how THEY define qualified ;)