PDA

View Full Version : Silencers, are they all much different?

BadBolt
09-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Main question is db reduction. Are they all pretty much in the same ball park?

What about not needing ear protection. Are there some silencers where you still must wear protection?

I understand about materials quality and maintainability e.g. breakdown/cleaning.

All that said, does it really matter all that much whick one you choose?

pgaplayerless
09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
They are all different. Some are M-Baffle, some are K-Baffle, some are Z-Baffle, some are Omega baffle. They all have various levels of effectiveness due to baffle design and internal volume.

Let's not forget then you have you rifle suppressors vs pistol suppressors vs sub gun suppressors. Pistol suppressors have the neilson device while then other two lack it. Other two have much larger volumes and generally more baffles stacked.

rjrivero
09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Main question is db reduction. Are they all pretty much in the same ball park?

What about not needing ear protection. Are there some silencers where you still must wear protection?

I understand about materials quality and maintainability e.g. breakdown/cleaning.

All that said, does it really matter all that much whick one you choose?
The modern suppressors are pretty much in the same ball park from a sound reduction standpoint. Suppressor design in the last 5 years or so has really taken on a new edge. Using stronger metals they can make baffles and tube walls thinner than they have in the past, and save weight, while maximizing internal volumes which all add up to better suppression.

Some of the older suppressor designs work well enough, but are larger and heavier than new(er) designs.

Will baffle design make a difference? Yes. To some degree. Some are more efficient than others. Some will have a different TONE vs. others.

Some silencers are NOT hearing safe. But most of the new(er) ones are. (Provided the bullet stays subsonic.)

In addition to the baffle types described by pgaplayerless, there are also I baffles, cone baffles, monolithic core baffles, slant baffles used by modern suppressor manufacturers.

I have pictures and examples, but I don't have the permissions to upload them here. If you would like to see them, just PM me your email and I'll forward them to you.

If you google suppressor baffle types, I'm sure you'll come up with all the photos you could want.

jmacken37
09-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes, there are significant differences between cans. Some rifle cans are not hearing safe. Tone, as mentioned above, is a very significant factor in how quiet a can "sounds" and this can differ from metering.

As a general rule, buy the best you can afford and go with something tried and true (or at least from a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record of service).

Jake

Griffin Armament
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
There are some misconceptions about suppressors.

Ar-15 action noise with most suppressors is 140-144DB. It doesn't much matter how they perform on the muzzle end, the action noise is pretty similar.

With Bolt guns you have a 5-7DB drop at the ear so a 27DB can puts a 5.56 bolt gun at 134DB at the ear. Anything below 140 is considered OSHA safe, and 135 and below is pretty comfortable at the ear.

It is still a good idea to wear ear protectors when shooting centerfire suppressors (anything over 124DB at the ear), although your ears shouldn't ring below 140.

Having to buy the most expensive thing is a tricky game some people believe is the way to go. <I say that because a price can be put wherever the MFG wants to.

Our 41Db rimfire suppressor is $445 with $200 tax.
Another manufacturers 41DB rimfire suppressor is $595 WITHOUT the $200 tax factored in.

Manufacturers selling products twice as expensive commonly say things like "You get what you pay for." <That's sometimes true, but the suppressor market is a volatile industry where branding plays a big part of pricing. So in several cases you can save a good deal of money if you don't need a Hilfiger logo on your item.