PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT-22 review

white1200c
09-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Picked up a PT-22 from Williams gun sight, and went out back to try it out.
I bought it used, but I looked it over very closely first and it did not appear to have much use.

I read a lot of reviews, and It seems that owners either love them or hate them. But with the lifetime gaurantee, I figuered it was a fairly safe bet, I could get end up with "good one".

My first impression was "Geeeezzzzzz ya gotta pull the trigger about a mile and a half to get it to finaly fire". But in fairness I was pulling the trigger very slowly trying to feel the break to put up a group to see how it would shoot.
shooting in this fashion produced a couple of suprising results.

First suprise was the golfball sized groups that I could easily achieve at 7 yards. The iron sights on it are very good for it's size. It shot point of aim with 36gr HP fed. bulk and 36gr HP CCI mini mag. Nothing worse than iron sights that won't shoot P.O.A. no matter what ammo you try.

Second, I had to be carefull because I had to pull the trigger so far that it actually changed my grip a little. I could see a new shooter having fits over not being able to hit a barn from the inside with this gun. A little bit of a challange.

I did notice after 200 plus rounds that it started to smooth out a little, I suspect the gun was near new when I started. I also noticed that if you pulled the trigger as intended in one smooth motion it required a lot less effort and of course groups were larger, but still well within "center mass" (9")capabilities.

It cycled Fed. bulk and CCI with zero gun related mishaps(300 total). I did have 2 duds, that were hit very hard and just didn't go boom.

When I cleaned it, I dragged a rag through the mag well, like I do on many of the pistols I've owned and broke a thin metal finger off the mag. disconnect arm. Not a fan anyway, one screw, and this "safety" is easily removed. No more mag. disconnect or Taurus key lock feature, again not a fan.

I also removed the pinky extension on the Mag. I can hold on target through the trigger pull better with out it. Again, one screw and easily gone. Plus it can be returned to stock if need be.

All said, I'm very happy with it. Very fun to shoot.
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt335/white1200c/100_1153.jpg

TomE
09-26-2011, 07:13 AM
I've had a couple ,one had to be replaced . When it shoots its fun . A couple things to watch out for is
1) the recoil slide stop/buffer ,its not on the parts diagram ,but its a polymer part slid into the slide at the front . They will break after a few hundred ,if the pistol is of new manufacture . If it shows sign of wear ,call Taurus and ask them to send you 2 of them.One to put in when the other one breaks ,and a second one to put in while you're waiting the two weeks for the order to arrive .I have 2 in stock . If the little parts breaks ,the slide will act like its jumping off the frame.
2) the recoil springs ,which are under the grips ,thin spring steel ,they fracture at the top ,hard to notice ,semi easy to replace . Once again ,a call to Taurus and ask for replacements to be sent out
3) Keep the slide well greased ,or the steel will wear on the aluminum frame .
4) The pistol likes to be shot wet.
5) It has to be kept clean or you'll get trigger issues ,blast the internals out with your choice of cleaner and oil generously
6) Keep the firing pin channel clean and DRY ,to avoid a lot of FTFires
If you follow these hints ,you might get to enjoy the little pistol . It fits in the same holsters as my LCP and I pretend it is when drawing and tactical drawing and shooting

white1200c
09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the wear points and parts. I'll have to get some on order. I need to call anyway to have them send a new mag. disconnect arm.