PDA

View Full Version : Silencer newbie...

flatapple
09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Can anyone give me info on what the experienced are purchasing? I'm looking for something to go on my AR carbine. I do have a manufacturer of suppressors...Hughes Precision, just about 30 minutes away.

detacbob
09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm getting a YHM 5.56 QD Titanium.

UpNorthWOLF
09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
I just ordered two from Hughes...including an 8" for my AR. A visit there will help you a lot since you can fondle the goods and hear them when shot and talk to the experts. Prices are great, too. I'm happy :)

Griffin Armament
09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Can anyone give me info on what the experienced are purchasing? I'm looking for something to go on my AR carbine. I do have a manufacturer of suppressors...Hughes Precision, just about 30 minutes away.

Hughes has very competitive pricing. I just checked them out.

Some observations:

Weight and sound performance would be nice to have, but the pricing is good.

The pistol suppressors probably don't have boosters so they might not cycle reliably depending on weight.

The .22lr suppressor is 1.25" diameter, which is bigger than 99% of the market which are 1" diameter.

BardicRaptus
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM
What is the process of purchasing one? I have heard many widely varying explanations. I have to get a class 3, but do I have to maintain it? Meaning, can I get a class 3 purchase a suppressor, let the class 3 expire without breaking the law?

mini4m3
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
What is the process of purchasing one? I have heard many widely varying explanations. I have to get a class 3, but do I have to maintain it? Meaning, can I get a class 3 purchase a suppressor, let the class 3 expire without breaking the law?

What is a class 3?

rjrivero
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
That's old info.

As of Sep 2, 2011, Michigan residents just have to get the transfer tax stamp like the rest of the free country.

You pick your suppressor, and buy it at a local Class 3 NFA dealer, fill out the form 4 with your supporting documents, and mail it and a check for $200 off to the NFA branch of the ATF. It sits in your dealer's sold pile waiting for your stamp.

Wait 5 months for the paperwork to come back to your dealer, and they'll call you. You then go and pick up your suppressor after you do the 4473 form and NICS check.

What is a class 3?A class 3 dealer is one who has paid their Special Occupational Tax, or SOT in order to sell Title 2 firearms: Machine guns, SBR, SBS, AOW, Silencers, Destructive devices.

Zane
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

"Class 3" is a tax status available to some Federal Firearms Licensees in order for them to deal in Title II weapons (Machine Guns, SBRs, suppressors, AOWs, DD). You do not need to get one. As pointed out above, you just need to get an approved ATF form 4 in order to possess a Title II weapon. The tax stamp on the form does not expire.

Hailstorm
10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
So, basically. You add a waiting period and $200 to your total bill. Ok, sounds ok for those who wish it.