PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P40c

ChriZ
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I had a chance to take my new M&P40c to the range today and would like to report on my experience.

1st of all, I like the way the gun feels in my hand. I'm used to carrying the Glock 19, but IMO, it's a little large to be my main carry piece. I have large hands and the G26 feels like I can't seem to get a good grip on it.

I have been reading a lot on MGO regarding the trigger and reset of the M&Ps. Most of what I read was dissatisfaction of the stock setup and high recommendations of the "Doug" trigger job.

The finish on the slide is top-notch. It's very smooth and appears to be a highly durable finish. It feels great to hold and I actually feel like I have a good grip on it.

The gun was a very smooth shooter. Like I said above, I'm used to the 19 so the 40c took a couple mags to finally get the feel down. I paid special attention to the reset and what I was feeling made my heart sink. It felt grimy and there was really no click letting me know it had reset... until I hit about 70 rounds. Perhaps this is just part of the standard break-in, but the more I shot it, the better the reset felt. By this time the reset actually felt pretty decent. Not as good as the Glock, but good enough for me. I'm optimistic that this will continue to improve.

My shots were pretty decent and the groups seemed to tighten up the more I shot. Here's a photo of the last 30 rounds - this is at 7 yards. This target was printed on a standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/chrizzain/IMAG0609-1.jpg

Now the bad stuff. Perhaps I'm crazy, but I seemed to get a weird flip-up on the 7th round of each magazine. Also, somewhere during the 3rd magazine, I lost the paint from my front sight. It really didn't affect the shooting for me, but it was definitely unexpected. This has never happened to me with any firearm. I spoke with one of the salesmen after my session and mentioned that the paint fell out of my sight. His response was "M&P"? He said the ONLY complaint they have every received from these guns was that the paint seems to always break loose from one of the sight holes.
If this is the worst thing to go wrong with this piece, I can deal with it. Should be able to be fixed with a little white-out.
Here's a photo of the sight:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/chrizzain/IMAG0614.jpg

My final concensus is that this will be a great carry gun. I am extremely impressed with the quality of this gun minus the sights. I purchased the 9mm conversion barrel today from Storm Lake along with an X-Grip adapter for the full-sized mags. If any of you have already purchased this barrel, I would love to hear some feedback on it.

ChriZ

SeeTee
09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
ChriZ,
I don't have a compact so I can't talk about that model but I have the storm lake conversion 9MM barrel for my full size M&P .40 and am happy with it, I have about 700 rounds through it so far, functions fine.

That is the short comment, as soon as I get the chance i'll post a more detailed report.

tote'ngranny
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a compact and the one thing that got my attention .. bothered me were the sights. The rear sights were too bright white, causing my focus to come back them, instead of remaining at the end of the barrel. The rear sights would appear larger because of the proximity. What I did to remedy that was to darken the rear sights, and to paint the front bright lime green. Now, I can easily, quickly focus on the front sight.
Every once in awhile, I will take a fine point perm. marker to the rear sights.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/kris7047th/IMG_0548.jpg

I have not had an issue with the green paint coming off. That was done 1 1/2 years ago.

ChriZ
10-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I read on another forum that this guy used white finger nail polish on the holes after removing the stock paint and then painted over that with acrylic neon glow-in-the dark paint from Michaels. The color he used was orange on the front and green on the rear sites. It looked great. I'm going to give this a try today. I'll post a photo once it's complete...

ChriZ
10-02-2011, 07:57 AM
ChriZ,
I don't have a compact so I can't talk about that model but I have the storm lake conversion 9MM barrel for my full size M&P .40 and am happy with it, I have about 700 rounds through it so far, functions fine.

That is the short comment, as soon as I get the chance i'll post a more detailed report.

GREAT! I'm excited to get the barrel. It's supposed to be here on Tuesday. I'll get to cut my range prices almost in half shooting the 9mm....

ChriZ
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Just finished this today....

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/chrizzain/IMAG0622.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/chrizzain/IMAG0623.jpg

72WhiteDemon
10-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I am glad you like the 40c. I shot a full sized and loved it, but rented a 40c and the short tail on it was killing my 2nd knuckle joint on my thumb ? Anyone else ever have this problem ? I ended up with the XDM and love it, but would not mind a full sized M&P in the future, maybe a 9mm to round out my collection, you know ?:usa:

ChriZ
10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
I am glad you like the 40c. I shot a full sized and loved it, but rented a 40c and the short tail on it was killing my 2nd knuckle joint on my thumb ? Anyone else ever have this problem ? I ended up with the XDM and love it, but would not mind a full sized M&P in the future, maybe a 9mm to round out my collection, you know ?:usa:

I know exactly what you mean about the thumb knuckle, however, I switched to the large backstrap and it took care of that problem. There's somewhat of a beaver-tail on that backstrap and it's much more comfortable when shooting.

I'm starting to get the itch for the full-sized one also....

72WhiteDemon
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Great feedback, thanks. I will have to give that a try.

InGodWeTrust
10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Those night sights are looking great:para:

agksimon
10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a 9c that I've done a lot of work on, including a Burwell trigger job, fiber optic sights, etc. They are very easy to work on.
As for painting the sights: try some fishing jig lure paint. Very bright and very durable. I put some on my Ruger 22/45 and it looks as good or better than my fiber optic sights, even in dim light.

themancmt
11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
One of mine fell out also. Just picked up some night sights from cheaper then dirt for $55
i used bright fingernail polish on the old ones.

cooiaid
12-31-2011, 07:01 PM
One of my first mods to my M&P 9 was the Apex Hard sear made a world of difference.

Tamer
02-20-2012, 04:06 AM
One of my first mods to my M&P 9 was the Apex Hard sear made a world of difference.
+1 to that in my M&P40, night and day difference.

Corona
06-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Did the Apex help with the reset? I sometimes can't feel the reset and with ear protection / other shooters, I can't hear it.

rcoe
06-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Did the Apex help with the reset? I sometimes can't feel the reset and with ear protection / other shooters, I can't hear it.

Yes it will. Very good and easy to install.

.40 Cal
07-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the write up. I just put about 400 rounds through my M&P 40c and the front sight is now missing the white. Other then that I love this firearm. No complaints; problems; worries. Goes bang every time.

I'll have to try the paint thing. I was considering going with Trijicon night sights.

shotpoint
07-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the write up. I just put about 400 rounds through my M&P 40c and the front sight is now missing the white. Other then that I love this firearm. No complaints; problems; worries. Goes bang every time.

I'll have to try the paint thing. I was considering going with Trijicon night sights.

I've got them on mine and a world of difference!

.40 Cal
07-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Excellant! Thanks for the input.

Did you have them installed by a gunsmith? I noticed that they recommend that.

shotpoint
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Excellant! Thanks for the input.

Did you have them installed by a gunsmith? I noticed that they recommend that.

I did. I would recommend it as well.

diesel72
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I picked up a .40c and a Galco King Tuk in February, gun is easy to shoot, easy to carry, Love it!