PDA

View Full Version : under 30" MGs "Michigan Pistol"?

ColonelKurtz
09-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Been hearing both sides of the issue on this one, would like to hear your opinions.... do sub-machineguns and machineguns under 30" (I know of at least two C&R MGs that are under 30", and one of those is under 26") have to be registered as a "Michigan pistol"? Yes I know MGs are federally regulated but so few cops are aware of the ins and outs of MG ownership that at least being registered as a pistol you (hopefully) won't get hassled for having full mags or belts if you get pulled over on the way to the range or somewhere else afterward. :getsum:

pgaplayerless
09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Yes its a "michigan pistol" and can be carried under CPL authority ;)

M11A1
09-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes and no. I've been told that MSP f do not require you to get a licenced as a pistol since it as all ready registered with the ATF as a MG, DD or AOW. A hand held grenade launcher is under that lenght, as well as my other AOW's and I have yet to have an issue, I even ask one day at the clerks off and PD, all I got were looks of confusion then. I quoted the law. Funny enough they asked me what the ATF told me I had to do "I had to fill a form 4, get the police chief to sign at and pay a tax" their quote "Well looks like you have your bases covered" lol.

But it won't hurt to register it as a pistol, its it a mac you would then beable to carry it ;-)

pgaplayerless
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes and no. I've been told that MSP f do not require you to get a licenced as a pistol since it as all ready registered with the ATF as a MG, DD or AOW. A hand held grenade launcher is under that lenght, as well as my other AOW's and I have yet to have an issue, I even ask one day at the clerks off and PD, all I got were looks of confusion then. I quoted the law. Funny enough they asked me what the ATF told me I had to do "I had to fill a form 4, get the police chief to sign at and pay a tax" their quote "Well looks like you have your bases covered" lol.

But it won't hurt to register it as a pistol, its it a mac you would then beable to carry it ;-)

Don't go by what the MSP says, go by what the law says. MSP doesn't make the laws, they just enforce them if they actually know them. There is lot of bad info that came out of MSP.

M11A1
09-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats very true, two years I got questioned about my 13rd mag that I had in my truck. Officer goes "I hope you don't carry or plan to carry that magazine when you cc', your only allowed to carry a maximum of 10rds".

But I have been insured by my dealer who's also a class II manufacturer (and has been for the last 15/20yrs) weather you register it as a pistol is solely up to you. The classification of them being a "machine gun" or "any other weapon" makes them immune to it. He has more MG's and AOW's in his personal collection then I can count and the only ones that are registered (as a pistol) are the ones he carried.

Not saying to take my word 100%. But I have yet to talk to anyone with knowledge on the subject tell me that I have to have it registered. I am open to hearing differently just letting you know what I've been told.

pgaplayerless
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
State law doesn't care what federals call it.

M11A1
09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
State law doesn't care what federals call it.

So then my sten was illegal since it was a "machine gun" yet it wasn't a machine gun even though it wasnt classified as a "machine gun". It was classified as a C&R. And if you are correct my 870 aow is illegal in michigan because it "technically" is a sawed of shotgun with a barrel under 18 inches long? I can go on and on.

pgaplayerless
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
under state laws ur aow is a michigan pistol, regardless of what feds consider it. Two legal definitions do not have to correlate unless such connection is directly made in the legislature.

Under the state law and prior to 2008 legislature was interpreted as only allowing MGs that were ruled to be C&R per feds because the legislature made that direct connection to fed definitions.

M11A1
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
under state laws ur aow is a michigan pistol, regardless of what feds consider it. Two legal definitions do not have to correlate unless such connection is directly made in the legislature.

Under the state law and prior to 2008 legislature was interpreted as only allowing MGs that were ruled to be C&R per feds because the legislature made that direct connection to fed definitions.

I get what your urging, but what I've been told is that "machine guns" and "aow's" are exempt. But also under state law my aow is "technically" a shotgun with a barrel under 18 inches. I can't remember the exact words I got from the ATF regarding the subject but it was like this "A shotgun is a shotgun unless its a Aow, a rifle is a rifle unless it is a machine gun, the reason the classification was changed is because they do not fit the riles. In your state a rifle under 30inches long a machine gun nor an aow is classified under federal or state law as a rifle".

pgaplayerless
09-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I get what your urging, but what I've been told is that "machine guns" and "aow's" are exempt. But also under state law my aow is "technically" a shotgun with a barrel under 18 inches. I can't remember the exact words I got from the ATF regarding the subject but it was like this "A shotgun is a shotgun unless its a Aow, a rifle is a rifle unless it is a machine gun, the reason the classification was changed is because they do not fit the riles. In your state a rifle under 30inches long a machine gun nor an aow is classified under federal or state law as a rifle".

What you been told is irrelevant really. Find me the legislature where it is said that they are exempted.

GarrettJ
09-29-2011, 02:25 PM
What you been told is irrelevant really. Find me the legislature where it is said that they are exempted.
What he said.

Don't go by "what ATF/MAP/whoever said". Look up the actual state and fed definitions and it becomes a bit more clear.