PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92/Taurus PT92 - Barrel Q's & Booster Y/N?

doctorj77
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry for the noob question. But soon I may be joining the suppressor wagon. I know there are a few members here that own the Beretta 92 suppressed. And was just curious if anyone owned a Taurus PT92 suppressed? I have a PT92 I'm planning on using for as a platform.

Other than cost savings, Is there any advantage to having the existing barrel threaded vs. one already done by LoneWolf, EFK, etc.....? Its like $90 vs. $200+. Are the Beretta barrels fully interchangeable with the Taurus? Mine is a pre-decocker model. If that matters.

Also, is a booster necessary for these guns, Beretta/Taurus, to fully cycle? Does the gun determine if a booster is necessary or does the suppressor determine it? I know if it fails, it essentially turns your gun into a single shot, and can be manually cycled. At least according to LRP. They say their 9mm can, K baffle without a booster is $250, and with one is $400

But then HughesPrecision tells me their platform, using a X baffle cycles perfectly fine without a booster on a Beretta 92 with a Brownells threaded barrel.

rjrivero
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a Beretta 92FS that I had threaded. It will NOT cycle reliably without a recoil booster using a Trident-9. Of course the trident-9 being Full Auto Rated, isn't exactly SMALL, but that's been my experience. I have heard that some folks have good function with other types of Suppressors on their Berettas, but I can only speak on what I've used.

I can't help with the Taurus questions.

GarrettJ
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a Beretta 92FS that I had threaded. It will NOT cycle reliably without a recoil booster using a Trident-9...
That's been my experience as well. I could probably get it to run without the booster by going to a weaker recoil spring. But it runs well and sounds good with the booster, so I haven't bothered to mess with it.

The size and weight of the can, and to a lesser extent the efficiency level of the can will affect how well the gun will cycle. The Beretta / Taurus 92 design is more tolerant of extra weight on the barrel than the tilting-barrel Browning design, but still will have a maximum weight that it will run with.

Some smaller, lighter cans will run just fine on an unmodified Beretta / Taurus.

I've got a Taurus 92, but it lives a couple thousand miles away, and I haven't had an opportunity to try it with the can.