PDA

View Full Version : Rat Hunting

joelansing
09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Does anyone hunt rats? Either rimfire, air gun, or fishing pole? I'd love to find a good dump to hunt them at. I know deer hunting you can't project a light onto your target. I don't know if the same applies to rats using an air rifle? Night vision rat hunting at 20-50 yards would be too fun! Downtown Lansing in the alleys behind the restaurants using a fishing pole might be productive also. That would be YouTube worthy. I think there may still be a very old bounty on rats in Lansing. You need to bring their heads to the city clerk though. I'm not sure if that is done very often. Might also be YouTube worthy.
- Joe

Hawgrider
09-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Yup hunted rats in the dump up in Wisconsin back in the 70's What fun it was.
In those days we had a cooler full of old Milwaukee or old style and a lawn chair and a scoped .22 It was the entertainment in northern Wisconsin in those days.

TomE
09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
edit

Leader
09-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Yup hunted rats in the dump up in Wisconsin back in the 70's What fun it was.
In those days we had a cooler full of old Milwaukee or old style and a lawn chair and a scoped .22 It was the entertainment in northern Wisconsin in those days.

That doesn't happen anymore because everyone is DEAD !!!!
Beer & guns... nobody could survive that.

TAC
09-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Back in the late 60's we used to go out to a public dump in Brighton/Howell area and shoot rats. I used an M1 Garand!

Hawgrider
09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
That doesn't happen anymore because everyone is DEAD !!!!
Beer & guns... nobody could survive that.The Finlanders in Wisconsin Could sure nuff put some beer down. :cheers:

Leader
09-30-2011, 11:37 AM
The Finlanders in Wisconsin Could sure nuff put some beer down. :cheers:

But they kill their friends in record numbers because of the alcohol & guns.

Hawgrider
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
But they kill their friends in record numbers because of the alcohol & guns.Really ? I dont recall even needing a band aid.
Times were different then. It was 40 years ago don't go all politically correct on me. Really it was no big deal then.

Leader
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Really ? I dont recall even needing a band aid.
Times were different then. It was 40 years ago don't go all politically correct on me. Really it was no big deal then.

But..But...But... That can NOT be!!!!!

Guns & alcohol mixing means DEATH !!!!!!!

Anyone that has a gun in the same room or county as an open beer is going to kill somebody.
Just look back at all the threads on this board & you will learn of the DANGERS.

No RESPONSIBLE person would EVER touch a gun if they had had a drink that week.

ALCOHOL IS BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

It makes you CRAZY !!!!!!

Hawgrider
10-04-2011, 05:42 AM
But..But...But... That can NOT be!!!!!

Guns & alcohol mixing means DEATH !!!!!!!

Anyone that has a gun in the same room or county as an open beer is going to kill somebody.
Just look back at all the threads on this board & you will learn of the DANGERS.

No RESPONSIBLE person would EVER touch a gun if they had had a drink that week.

ALCOHOL IS BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

It makes you CRAZY !!!!!!OK Yeah Im a bit slow I detect the sarcasm now:mrgreen:

UPpatriot
10-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh man I've had good times as a kid rat hunting at the local dump. Us kids would strap our .22's on our backs and ride our bikes there(try that today) and waste hundreds of them. They pushed the garbage over a huge bank and we'd just sit down at the bottom and wait for them to come out. Fun times! Sadly the local dumps are a thing of the past.

DogfoodActual
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM
When I lived in FL back in the 90's I used to bait em in the kitchen and shoot em from the living room couch.
Yeh, yeh, I know how filthy that place must have been, but on the up side, it was a 150 yards walk from Deerfield Pier, with a surf shop, 7/11, raw bar, and Big Daddys liquor store, from my front door until my feet got wet. I'd go back in a heart beat.
The place has been torn down for years, but Aaaahhhh....the memories, rats & all. : )

Leader
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Sarcasm?

Me?

Well......

Maybe.

But if you look back, you will see that some here think that way.

rec4309
10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Michigan
Code: B

Species: Rat; English Sparrow; Starling; Crow

Amount: Rat (any black, brown, grey, or Norway rats commonly known as the house rat, barn rat or wharf rat): 10 cents; English Sparrow: 2 cents; Starling: 3 cents; Crow: 10 cents

Summary: Every person being an inhabitant of this state who shall kill any black, brown, grey, or Norway rats commonly known as the house rat, barn rat or wharf rat in any organized township, village or city in this state, shall be entitled to receive a bounty when presenting the animals (or their heads, in the case of rats) to the clerk of the township, village or city. ... when presenting the animals (or their heads, in the case of rats) to the clerk of the township, village or city.

Citation: 433.251
Enacted:
Rats: 1915
Sparrow: 1907
Starling & Crow: 1941

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could be a little money to cover ammo cost.
Call your local clerk to find out how they want them brought in.
Could be fun.

Roundballer
10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Michigan
Code: B

Species: Rat; English Sparrow; Starling; Crow

Amount: Rat (any black, brown, grey, or Norway rats commonly known as the house rat, barn rat or wharf rat): 10 cents; English Sparrow: 2 cents; Starling: 3 cents; Crow: 10 cents

Summary: Every person being an inhabitant of this state who shall kill any black, brown, grey, or Norway rats commonly known as the house rat, barn rat or wharf rat in any organized township, village or city in this state, shall be entitled to receive a bounty when presenting the animals (or their heads, in the case of rats) to the clerk of the township, village or city. ... when presenting the animals (or their heads, in the case of rats) to the clerk of the township, village or city.

Citation: 433.251
Enacted:
Rats: 1915
Sparrow: 1907
Starling & Crow: 1941

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could be a little money to cover ammo cost.
Call your local clerk to find out how they want them brought in.
Could be fun.

RATS

Act 50 of 1915

433.251-433.253 Repealed. 2000, Act 108, Imd. ***. May 19, 2000.

A little research helps.... :flame:

joelansing
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
So rat hunting or maybe even more fun FISHING is a lost art? Maybe we could bring it back. I wonder if we could get like a federal grant for preserving it? I'd approach Granger or Waste Management outside Lansing about rat control if there is any interest. I'm thinking air guns would be the best way to start on it. Try to approve rim fire once we get air guns approved? As for rat fishing. I'm not sure ANYTHING covers it. You sure as heck don't need a fishing license, and if PETA wants to fight us we can just offer to hand the poor homeless starving rats over to them? I saw the past post about rat heads not having a bounty anymore. Bummer..
- Joe

steve581581
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh man I've had good times as a kid rat hunting at the local dump. Us kids would strap our .22's on our backs and ride our bikes there(try that today) and waste hundreds of them. They pushed the garbage over a huge bank and we'd just sit down at the bottom and wait for them to come out. Fun times! Sadly the local dumps are a thing of the past.
maybe up in the UP... there are a ton of them down here but its doubtful they would let you in with a gun to go hunting

joelansing
10-09-2011, 07:52 PM
maybe up in the UP... there are a ton of them down here but its doubtful they would let you in with a gun to go hunting

If you show up with a pre-made disclaimer that you will sign for them. And they really don't like the rats. Removing an invasive species like NORWAY rats is environmentally and politically correct. I think a persuasive person could gain rat hunting rights to places 50% of the time? I'm talking air gun though. I have a cheap Winchester 1000X and I'd consider it the low end for humane kills.
- Joe