PDA

View Full Version : Recoil spring question

blackwolf
10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey, new handgun owner here. I have a quick question about my recoil spring on my glock 19. Every time I take the gun apart for cleaning I've noticed my spring is not sitting in the spring harness on the barrel. It hasn't messed with me firing the weapon but I was wondering if it was normal or if I need a new spring.( I plan on getting one anyways to replace the plastic one). It's got a 18 lb spring on it( stock) so should I boost my spring to a 20-22lb to apply the proper pressure on the barrel?

Thank you

ibanezfreak4
10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
It hasn't messed with me firing the weapon but I was wondering if it was normal or if I need a new spring.( I plan on getting one anyways to replace the plastic one).

That's a good call to replace that plastic piece. The Glock 21 I had didn't have this particular issue because it was already upgraded.

Question, was this a used gun or which gen is this Glock?

I had a Gen 2 Glock 21 and sometimes when I pulled it apart, the spring did not look like it was sitting right. The truth behind it was that it fired fine and I never had spring issues. When the spring assembly sits on the railing, there's small small potential for something to go wrong since there isn't a large range of motion. As long as it fires fine, I would say it's not an issue or won't cause an problems. At least that was my experience firing about 300+ .45 rounds with no misfires.

Thanks.

JimSig
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
To the Op, it is not an issue. Once you mount the slide on the frame the spring is properly located where it should be. Recoil springs in Glocks are recommended to be changed every 5000 rds. I changed mine at 6,000 rds and really didn't have to but I did it just to be on the safe side. A fatigued recoil spring will affect the the timing of the slide travel and the impact of the slide on the frame. A proper spring will protect the frame from slide impacts and would result in proper slide timing for ejection and feeding.

As for replacing the Glock stock plastic spring rod, take my advise.. Glocks are designed perfectly - there is no need of whatsoever to change the stock spring with something else. I think anything above 18 lb would be too much for 9mm. The slide might not function properly and you might eperience FTF and FTE. Even if you decide to change the rod to a steel rod, don't go above 18lb for the spring - and that would be on the high side already.

ibanezfreak4
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
A proper spring will protect the frame from slide impacts and would result in proper slide timing for ejection and feeding.

As for replacing the Glock stock plastic spring rod, take my advise.. Glocks are designed perfectly - there is no need of whatsoever to change the stock spring with something else.

That's a good call on second thought. I have heard of people with 9mm putting heavier springs and then asking "Why won't the shell eject properly, huh, uh, duh duh".

Ultimately, not an issues, I'd keep it stock like JimSig said.

Thanks.

Mr_Fitzz
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Dont forget to give Glock a call if yours is a Gen4 as it maybe part of the recall.

http://www.teamglock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

thatguy423
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Don't mess with it.. When it comes time to replace ut use a Glock assembly.. They are only about 7 bucks.. If it ain't broke don't fix it..

jmartin
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with your gun. When I attended Glock armorer's class, they had us remove slide and check (and re-seat) the spring assembly...then carefully re-assemble (without moving the location of the spring assembly) the slide. Then ran the slide a few times...then disassembled again. Rechecking the recoil spring assembly - found it had moved up slightly again....that is normal.

when re-assembled it fits back where it belongs...and works...

DLL9MM
10-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Don't mess with it.. When it comes time to replace ut use a Glock assembly.. They are only about 7 bucks.. If it ain't broke don't fix it..

This.
Don't order anything but OEM Glock when it comes time to replace spring.

JohnJak
10-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Your Glock is broken beyond repair. Some here on MGO will offer you only $75.00. I am the highest payer on MGO and will offer you $200.00 cash money.

paramaster
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
A shock buffer can be installed, it'll help protect the frame. No need to put a heavier spring in it, stick to stock springs.