PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunt

Tallbear
06-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Drew a tag for the Baraga unit. Anyone know of a good guide in that area?

fbuckner
06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Lucky SOB Our party just got our 3rd point. According to the DNR drawing results spreadsheet we should get ours next year for sure.

cliffd
06-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Where is this "spreadsheet" you are referring to?

Thanks!

Oh and congrats on the tag, Mike.

Tallbear
06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Where is this "spreadsheet" you are referring to?

Thanks!

Oh and congrats on the tag, Mike.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/05_bear_drawing_results_127044_7.pdf

cliffd
06-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the link. I see what you mean now.

I have just been taking the points. I hope to have time to hunt next year and by the looks of it I should have no problem getting a tag with my points.

RSF
06-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Mike, check with the guys on M-S sportsman.com

In the bear hunting section

Tank
06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Not for Baraga no. I hunted with a guy that did the Newberry and Gladwin units though.

Like Dep said, check with the guys at Michigan Sportsman.

Tallbear
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Mike, check with the guys on M-S sportsman.com

In the bear hunting section

Been there and talked with a couple guys ( off line) that also drew that area.

Always looking for more info. First bear hunt so I want to do it right. I'll pass on anything ( what I think) is under 200 lb.

RSF
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Mike i have taken 4 bears now

quick advise

judge by length.. iuse a 5 foot stick layed in near the cribbing to measure the animal anything 5ft and over is a shooter.

width betweeen ears if they sit out on th eedges of the head its good y shape notch running down front of skull is good too we have a set of videos and dvds dedicated to bear hunting only!

they die very easy. i have yet to have run longer than 30 yds all of mine were bow kills.

what are you going to use the 50 beauwolf or the 44 handgun or bow! i would go bow or 44 or smokepole ! i got another point this year!

Tallbear
06-07-2006, 05:18 AM
I plan on using the Beowulf. One guy said use solid bullet. Another guy said use a hollow point. Hollow point guy knew what I was talking about when I said .50 beowulf. The other guy had no clue even after I explained it to him.

RSF
06-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Soft or hollow point for sure. i would prefer a soft point. on that

another thing there vitals are layed out a bit different than deer and like animals there shoulder also extend a back farther btu that 50 should handle it with soft points a hollow point may be touchy.... center the bear come foward a few inches and a middle line shot or just below mid line there blades are tuff on bigger bears